Why no open carry during bow season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
    I didn't write the law, I just understand why it's there. Having a pistol on you, on your own property, without a CHL, during the archery only season does nothing except throw a red flag to a GW. How can you prove you weren't intending to shoot a deer with said pistol? You can't, plain and simple. There is a way to avoid throwing that red flag... Get a CHL.
    Ooooohhhhh I finally got it!!! "How can you prove you weren't intending to shoot a deer with said pistol?" "There is a way to avoid throwing that red flag...Get a CHL."

Game warden: Boy is that a handgun on you hip during bow season??

Me: yes SIR, but don't worry warden I have my CHL and you know that ANYONE who has a CHL wouldn't shoot a deer with said pistol. We're just a little more trustworthy than your average pistol packing bow hunter SIR! So lower that red flag back down!!

Game warden: What was I thinking son your right, when I know a hunter has a CHL I immediately stop seeing red flags!! My job here is done.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348209791.712039.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	24118295

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiakk View Post
      The Constitution should override a "game law". It's very healthy to question laws my friend. I believe it's our duty to question them infact.
      Question.....

True or False please check one, there's no smoke and mirrors on this one.

The US Constitution protects rights and allows for liberties NOT offered by the state...Yes?

In so much as some see this as a 2nd Amendment issue, please defer to the actual law stating that Concealed Carry is allowed by holders of the CHL. Technically the STATE protected your 2nd Amendment rights, while at the same time, practicing its ability to enforce STATE LAW, without total infringement.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiakk View Post
        The Constitution should override a "game law". It's very healthy to question laws my friend. I believe it's our duty to question them infact.
        I think you have it backwards. You have your constitutional rights. But if you want to have the privilege to bowhunt legal, you have to abide by the rules.

-if you're worried about snakes, take a shovel

Comment

Originally posted by 1TexasPatriot View Post
          Not to muddy the waters at all. Is anyone responding to this in posession of the intent behnid the stipulation?

To clarify, does there exist case law that caused this legislation? That's normally how these stipulations land.

And to further clarify, I in now way, intend to argue the LEGITIMACY, Rationale or otherwise support the coherent/incoherent thought process behind it. All too often these types of issues are backed by case law.....Which can be repealed.

ANYONE, for ANY REASON can approach a higher court citing an issues potentially impacting the contitutionality behind another courts decision. It doesn't require a village, just someone with the fortitude to stick with it. WHO'S WITH ME....

I lived in Washington State from 2002-2010. WA is an open carry state where you can also get a CHL to carry concealed. When I started hunting there it was illegal to carry a pistol at all during archery. A group of us, along with many others around the state, got pretty active on the issue. We attended WDFW meetings and raised the question, we wrote emails and letters to the legislature and the Department heads. In '09 they changes the law to allow CHL holders to carry during archery. Being an open carry state that made even less sense than the law here in Texas. We kept raising hell and in 2010 they dropped the CHL requirement and allowed archers to carry defensive firearms

I had my CHL there too, it's just not about that.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
            Actually, the game law says you can't shoot a deer with a pistol in Archery season. Saying you can't carry a pistol when it would otherwise be perfectly legal is redundant, overbearing, and anti-American
            You need to read page 62 brother. You are dead wrong

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
              I lived in Washington State from 2002-2010. WA is an open carry state where you can also get a CHL to carry concealed. When I started hunting there it was illegal to carry a pistol at all during archery. A group of us, along with many others around the state, got pretty active on the issue. We attended WDFW meetings and raised the question, we wrote emails and letters to the legislature and the Department heads. In '09 they changes the law to allow CHL holders to carry during archery. Being an open carry state that made even less sense than the law here in Texas. We kept raising hell and in 2010 they dropped the CHL requirement and allowed archers to carry defensive firearms

I had my CHL there too, it's just not about that.

So you see how the system works. But I consider myself pretty coherent, and what I have seen is a sentiment that Texas is marching away with the Constitution. When in fact they have both exercised the states RIGHT to enforce its own policy, while at the same time allowing for the CONSTITUTIONAL right to still carry a sidearm, concealed with the stipulation that you have a CHL. Which what that says to ME, is that this law is more for the protection of GW's than deer.

Ponder that one for a second....

Comment

Population of Washington State:6,830,000

Population of Texas: 26,404,000

Lord knows, the last thing we need in Texas is the masses that outnumber law enforcement 100,000 to 1, walking around like they're John Wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                  I think you have it backwards. You have your constitutional rights. But if you want to have the privilege to bowhunt legal, you have to abide by the rules.

-if you're worried about snakes, take a shovel

Good point. Sucks you aren't allowed to have protection while hunting.

Snakes are the last reason for me to have a pistol. I'm more worried about 2 legged critters.

Comment

So you see how the system works. But I consider myself pretty coherent, and what I have seen is a sentiment that Texas is marching away with the Constitution. When in fact they have both exercised the states RIGHT to enforce its own policy, while at the same time allowing for the CONSTITUTIONAL right to still carry a sidearm, concealed with the stipulation that you have a CHL. Which what that says to ME, is that this law is more for the protection of GW's than deer.

you are missing the point.

being on your own land it falls under your 2nd amendment rights not chl rules.

Comment

Originally posted by coachk43 View Post

Lord knows, the last thing we need in Texas is the masses that outnumber law enforcement 100,000 to 1, walking around like they're John Wayne.
                      Have you seen our people? Have you been in 3rd ward or in Down Town Laredo at night? I'd shat myself if I had to venture in there with everyone freely carrying on their hip. At least now, I can't see all the threats around me, nor can they see if I am a threat in return.

Comment

If its to protect the GW is he unprotected on Nov. 3rd when I am sitting in the same blind with the same bow and the same pistol with no CHL required....ponder that one for a minute.

Also, your scenario makes no mention of the fact that I am on private property where no CHL is required to possess or carry a firearm so if the state is protecting my rights by allowing me to carry a pistol with no CHL on my property why again does that protection somehow lapse for 30 days if I pick up a bow?

Comment

Sorry, but that's a very weak arguement. The same was said when states started talking about concealed license. It'll be shootings left and right all over the place just like the old west!!!!! It didn't happen......

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                            You need to read page 62 brother. You are dead wrong
                            I know what the law says. Would it make sense for there to be a speed limit and also require every car on the road to be governed to not exceed the speed limit? My truck will run 100 plus and the only thing stopping it is that little sign.

Comment

Originally posted by crittergitter View Post
                              you are missing the point.

being on your own land it falls under your 2nd amendment rights not chl rules.
                              The state in no way infringes on your right to carry a sidearm. It's an impossible argument.

There is a stipulation though, much like that of the CHL to begin with. You say "Shall not be infringed"

State says "Not infringed, just a little more difficult"

One COULD make the argument that we should just be able to walk around gun strapped to our hips every moment of every day. I don't have an issue with it, and Tubby already made this argument.

You don't have to have a CHL to carry a sidearm every day, just during bowhunting....It's a tomato tomahhto argument, isn't it?

Comment

That is the same argument the anti's used against CHL.....it will be the wild west if we let citizens start carrying firearms...lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X