Crabbing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I caught crabs once.

Neadless to say, I didnt date her again.

Comment

When I first read this thread I thought it was going to be about Deadliest Catch. I would love to go catch crab as well, I think it's a cool business.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Up top, I want to know more about the chicken necks, crabs and piers. we are going to be at Rockport next week.

Comment

Never tried it but I have heard that poking a couple holes in a can of cat food works well in the traps. Just boil the crabs in water with crab boil.

Comment

Originally posted by RemMan700 View Post
              I just moved down by Galveston and saw some traps at Walmart. I really want to go crabbing too. Anyone who needs a crabbing buddy hit me up!
              will be down this weekend after all with some buddies and were gonna hit the crab if ya wanna give it a go

Comment

Originally Posted by RemMan700
                I just moved down by Galveston and saw some traps at Walmart. I really want to go crabbing too. Anyone who needs a crabbing buddy hit me up!
                will be down this weekend after all with some buddies and were gonna hit the crab if ya wanna give it a go
                Thanks for the invite but I am going to be out of town this weekend. Hit me up again next time you go out.

Comment

if yall do catch some, put em on ice while still live and it will put them to sleep (like). just put ice in a cooler and open the drain plug so the cooler doesnt fill up with standing water. the ice lowers their body temp and almost knocks them out like. you can reach your hand in there are pick em right up. it also helps to keep em fresh until you get through with the day of catching. just google the how to for cleaning a crab, easier than for me to explain.

Comment

sometimes rather than boiling them, i clean them by popping half of the shell off and removing the gills, guts etc. place a mound of butter, minced garlic and whatever seasong you want in the vacant shell where the guts used to be and place the whole crab on the grill. the butter will melt and slide down into the body and leg meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                      I caught crabs once.

Neadless to say, I didnt date her again.

Comment

We'd always take a 5" long dowell as a spool and keeper checker, use some nylon twine, and tie chicken necks to it. Pick any old hole of coastal water off the highway and toss the necks in, leaving the stick in the ground and some slack. If the slack goes away, slowly reel them in, then use a fishing net to bag them before you get all the way to the bank.

Comment

Bringing back an old thread - I'm doing research on catching blue crab. I am going to Galveston this weekend and I want to give it a shot. My question is this - can you freeze them, or do they have to be alive like crawfish? I will be in a hotel and I won't have the means to boil them until I get back home.

Comment

Take them apart and freeze them in ziplocks full of water. Don't wait forever though to eat them and double your ziplocks.

If you have a 4x4 go to San Louis....bay side in the afternoon. Lots of fun. Keep only the big males.

Comment

I have never caught crab, what do you mean by take them apart? Pull the legs off or what? hahaha!

Comment

Ok, here is how you do it. Get a chicken leg on a string. Get yourself a lawn chair. Grab a cheap dip net at Academy. And last but not least get some beer. lol We use to wear them out at the SLP Bridge when I was little. Go knee deep, set the chair in the water and just hang out. (We also ran about 20 traps but dropped them off with the boat) had more fun using the chicken and the string. And the traps are getting a little more expensive than they use to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X