No announcement yet.

Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the dig photos I now see why you're finding stuff so deep. That creek has flooded many, many times and deposited a lot of sandy soil throughout the creek valley from erosion of the higher land in a reasonably short period of time. Please keep posting pics of the site, and of the springs if you have any. That place must have been paradise to the indians.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
      From the dig photos I now see why you're finding stuff so deep. That creek has flooded many, many times and deposited a lot of sandy soil throughout the creek valley from erosion of the higher land in a reasonably short period of time. Please keep posting pics of the site, and of the springs if you have any. That place must have been paradise to the indians.
      NOPE! This site is far above flood plain. The sand is lodge sand carried there by the mississipian culture for the most part.

Comment

We dug after lunch yesterday and found some cool stuff. Found one exhausted Plainview and a side knotched point that is base thinned in the deep stuff.

NO whole MFG point yesterday but 3 brokes and some pretty flakes.

My favorite of the day is this mass agate blade with a punch on the end.

Also like these two. Pretty little Jasper point.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thx for posting GG

I'm a frequent lurker as your knowledge and live artifact hunts fascinate me

Keep the pics and education coming

Comment

Very cool! Do you have any plans for all the artifacts?

Comment

Originally posted by bubba1 View Post
              Very cool! Do you have any plans for all the artifacts?
              Yes but they are very preliminary. I will tell more if it develops.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                Yes but they are very preliminary. I will tell more if it develops.
                Are you thinking "Museum" maybe?

Comment

Dang guys, took me all day to catch up on this thread! Awesome work GarGuy....very interesting and diligent work you got going on. Impressive is an understatement, keep up the awesome work and thanks for taking us along your journey!

Comment

Best thread currently on TBH, brings back years of memories hunting arrowheads with my grandfather in old Mexico. He hasn't had the opportunity to go in several years, I need to direct him to this thread as I know he'll enjoy the read. Can't believe it took me this long to find but I'm caught up start to finish now!

Comment

Originally posted by Agdog View Post
                      Best thread currently on TBH, brings back years of memories hunting arrowheads with my grandfather in old Mexico. He hasn't had the opportunity to go in several years, I need to direct him to this thread as I know he'll enjoy the read. Can't believe it took me this long to find but I'm caught up start to finish now!
                      That was quite a long read!

Comment

Gotta go dig now!

Comment

What's your thoughts on this piece?
                          My 1st thought was a tool for surgery but I've never seen anything like it. Just taking a clueless guess.

Awesome find!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345897900.204407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	24109009

Comment

This is by far my favorite thread.....keep it coming Gar Guy.

Comment

Too cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac... View Post
                                What's your thoughts on this piece?
                                My 1st thought was a tool for surgery but I've never seen anything like it. Just taking a clueless guess.

Awesome find!

[ATTACH]381766[/ATTACH]
                                Just a guess, because I know nothing about this stuff, but I think it might be a punch for leather?

Comment

Working...
                                X