No announcement yet.

Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GarGuy, I have found lots of points at our lease in Webb Co. We have found several areas that are loaded with flint, not just scattered about, but piles of flakes. We believe these to be camp areas. Would it be worth digging there? I understand it is a whole different ground type from the areas you dig. Most of the stuff we find is more modern, with a few older points mixed in. I figure being a few miles from the Rio, the possibility of finding some older types would be increased.

Comment

Originally posted by BangBang View Post
      GarGuy, I have found lots of points at our lease in Webb Co. We have found several areas that are loaded with flint, not just scattered about, but piles of flakes. We believe these to be camp areas. Would it be worth digging there? I understand it is a whole different ground type from the areas you dig. Most of the stuff we find is more modern, with a few older points mixed in. I figure being a few miles from the Rio, the possibility of finding some older types would be increased.

What is the terrain like where you found these points? Is it low sandy ground or up in the higher elevations where there's less soil? Find any whole stones that are blackened? (like smut or burnt from a fire)... If so sure sign of a camp.

Comment

I have always been told that digging is mostly useless in areas like Webb county as the sites are wholly eroded. This makes sense as you can find points like golondrinas which are transitional paleo (old) next to points like tortugas which are late archaic (not nearly as old).

In most dig sites, the deeper you go the older the points get. When you have multiple eras of artifacts on the surface, they are pretty much all on the surface.

Comment

Thanks again GarGuy and others for posting your finds. Seeing these incredible points gets my blood racing again and makes me want to go look even more.

Steve, are there any good artifact shows coming up any time soon?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            What is the terrain like where you found these points? Is it low sandy ground or up in the higher elevations where there's less soil? Find any whole stones that are blackened? (like smut or burnt from a fire)... If so sure sign of a camp.
            Our lease is a lot of rolling terrain. I have found sites from the tops of hills, bluffs, down in bottoms and on the southern sides of hills most often than not. I am not an expert, but I have found concentrated piles of rock that looks to be burnt, but it is not as obvious as the burnt rock and fire rings I have found in the past along the pecos in west Texas. In a few of these areas mentioned on bluffs, I can shove a stick of rebar into the ground at least 2-3' deep. I know I will most likely not be digging down 4, 5 or 10' deep, but there are so many surface finds, I always wonder whats just under the surface, say, a foot or so deep. May not find many older types, but dang some of those bird points are mighty fine.
            Last edited by BangBang; 06-18-2020, 09:45 AM. Reason: ...

Comment

GarGuy, what are you using to dig that sand camp? Shaker table with generators? How much further down hill are you from where you think the camp was? Have heard the sand camps are tricky because of all the points that can sift far from the original camp over time.

Comment

Our lease is a lot of rolling terrain. I have found sites from the tops of hills, bluffs, down in bottoms and on the southern sides of hills most often than not. I am not an expert, but I have found concentrated piles of rock that looks to be burnt, but it is not as obvious as the burnt rock and fire rings I have found in the past along the pecos in west Texas. In a few of these areas mentioned on bluffs, I can shove a stick of rebar into the ground at least 2-3' deep. I know I will most likely not be digging down 4, 5 or 10' deep, but there are so many surface finds, I always wonder whats just under the surface, say, a foot or so deep. May not find many older types, but dang some of those bird points are mighty fine.
                I had 4000 acres in Webb and found thousands of points. In 25 years I moved a lot of dirt trying to dig them and found very few. If you decide to dig & screen you probably only need to take the top 6 to 12". With that said, I found it way more productive to just surface hunt creeks, washouts and roads.

Comment

Never seen this thread, this is cool as heck!

Comment

I have only caught up to page 16. But.... Man this is a great read. Amazing testimony as well. If you do not have a published book "Life and Times of GarGuy" you need one!! Thank you for providing knowledge, entertainment, and life lessons along the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy D View Post
                      GarGuy, what are you using to dig that sand camp? Shaker table with generators? How much further down hill are you from where you think the camp was? Have heard the sand camps are tricky because of all the points that can sift far from the original camp over time.
                      I depends on the site. Steep hills will have the majority of artifacts aT down the side. Rolling sand hills will have most on top. 6 to 8th deep to hard pan on gentle terrace. Steep hills the to will be shallow but we are sifting up to 20 plus ft deep down the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
                        I had 4000 acres in Webb and found thousands of points. In 25 years I moved a lot of dirt trying to dig them and found very few. If you decide to dig & screen you probably only need to take the top 6 to 12". With that said, I found it way more productive to just surface hunt creeks, washouts and roads.
                        It seems like roads are where the honey holes are. I don’t plan on any big operation. Just where I find concentrated flint and only screen a foot or so deep. I intend on shoveling a ranger bed full of ground and sift it at camp to pass time. Lots of work, but one fine point is better than shooting a booner IMO.

Comment

I think I am guilty of having an expensive deer lease as an excuse to find arrowheads.

Comment

I think I am guilty of having an expensive deer lease as an excuse to find arrowheads.
                            Had one of those over on the Rio Grande for years too...
                            What part of Webb County you in?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Had one of those over on the Rio Grande for years too...
                              What part of Webb County you in?
                              Couple miles north of the old toll road, east of old mines.

Comment

Spent the last couple of days re-reading this whole thread and enjoying the pictures. I appreciate all of the time and effort GarGuy and others have put in sharing pics and information. Truly a treasure chest of photos and knowledge. Looking forward to more pics. Keep up the great work guys

Comment

Working...
                                X