X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man so close to a whole one

Comment

Originally posted by fo_teef View Post
      What are you calling that thick stemmed yellow one in the third pic, second post?
      I have the same question. Found a bunch of these in NW Burnet County some time ago. Same material, same head, everything.

Comment

This is the one.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
          This is the one.
          Well, I don't have a good answer. An expert saw it Sunday and said it was an Angostura variant. Im not sure about that. It is heavily stem ground though and likely transitional paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by truckgirl View Post
            That's an awesome find!!! Why did you use the excavator and not less harmful methods for artifact collection? As a TAMU anthro major we are always told to use the 1x1 method for excavation...yes tedious but it guarantees nothing is left out of the find.
            For the record, It is a skid steer AKA Skid loader or commonly called a Bobcat. An excavator rotates on a center pivot point, has a long boom and a bucket that move much like your hand. Danged Aggies...

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
              For the record, It is a skid steer AKA Skid loader or commonly called a Bobcat. An excavator rotates on a center pivot point, has a long boom and a bucket that move much like your hand. Danged Aggies...
              .....that cant get their avatar pic turned upright.....

Comment

I got to dig a couple of hours and found some neat items. I found a geofact hollowed out and made into what I believe is a pipe bowl. It was hollowed out nicely and a small hole drilled on the side that appears to be for a stem. I found a couple of sweet little points made of the red version of Manning Fused Glass. Found a PW paleo point. Not sure what it is. and an old school Wells.
                Attached Files

Comment

more
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi, very interesting thread. Really something that it shows that much continual use over thousands of years. Do you share your findings with anyone else that documents what you find and at what depth? Do you take notes? Could be a wealth of information illustrating the rise and falls of trading routes and cultures within Texas for thousands of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                      Man GarGuy, you are killing me here. I'd rather dig for arrowheads than kill a 160+ whitetail!!
                      I'm almost this bad--maybe dig for points more than killing a second 160-class WT?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                        Hi, very interesting thread. Really something that it shows that much continual use over thousands of years. Do you share your findings with anyone else that documents what you find and at what depth? Do you take notes? Could be a wealth of information illustrating the rise and falls of trading routes and cultures within Texas for thousands of years.
                        Yes , In constant contact with the Gualt lab. Also shared on An archaeology forum. If you get time, read through this thread and you will see lots of data. We are currently working on the trade network of several different cultures. We scanned hundreds of points made of imported materials with a laser spectrometer. The lithic signatures were recorded by culture and entered into a huge data base. Expect a wealth of information about trade and travel from this when it is published.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                          I'm almost this bad--maybe dig for points more than killing a second 160-class WT?
                          I like eating backstrap from 160 class deer at lunch while I arrowhead hunt.

Comment

Im planning to hunt the arrowhead site this evening. Got a couple of whoppers coming in....

Comment

I corrected your post for you.

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              Im planning to DIG the arrowhead site this evening. Got a couple of ANDICES coming in....

Comment

LOL! Got a friend coming in to hunt so im going to sit in the blind.

Comment

Working...
                                X