No announcement yet.

Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This dig continues to produce a bunch of world class lithics. Congrats Steve and continued success. Thanks again for sharing.

In the next couple of years I hope to get geared up for a spot on the Leon River, where we find alot of brokes from plowing. I think there is alot more underneath.

Can I get your typology opinion? Midland?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Midland1 tbh.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	24206520

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post
      This dig continues to produce a bunch of world class lithics. Congrats Steve and continued success. Thanks again for sharing.

In the next couple of years I hope to get geared up for a spot on the Leon River, where we find alot of brokes from plowing. I think there is alot more underneath.

Can I get your typology opinion? Midland?

[ATTACH]500552[/ATTACH]
      STUNNING! The shape is good for Midland but the flaking is not quite right. Of course they didn't have typology books to tell them how to flake them. Super sweet point. From that one pic, I have to go with Angostura but Im still thinking about it....

Edit...Probably too small for Ango after looking again. Gonna say its a Hells Gap although it doesn't flare quite enough....hmmmmm. fantastic Paleo.
      Last edited by GarGuy; 06-02-2013, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Leon, that's probably what we'd call a "Plainview variant" in east Texas, although lots of folks believe there are way too many types being lumped under that name. It's a beauty, whatever you call it.

Don

Comment

Where to start...

OK! I found a first for me. Its a jawbone sharpened into a knife!

Next, another piece of serrated point we are calling a SLOTH SLAYER. I may match a base I have in a box! The flaking is fantastic.

Then a fine Wells!

Don't know what this is but it was fluted in its first life.

Continued....
          Attached Files

Comment

Still following along and enjoying the ride. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Comment

Then another exhausted Andice. Not broken but worn out. This is three hunts in a row with an exhausted Andice...rare point in any condition. I sure want a first stage one

Next a paleo base that is the wildest material ever! I don't know exactly what it is but Ill go with Angostura.

An awesome translucent killer! and some more sweeties.

Found three killer birdies. 2 are Catahoulas.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hmmmmm, that one piece that looks somewhat fluted looks to be a Clovis in the beginning stages.................but what do I know. Super Wells. I forgot the number of Wells you said this site has produced so far but I know it is up there. That serrated piece is sick!!

Just saw the other pieces...love that calf creek/andice. I have one very similiar that I dug in Madison County and yes, it is missing an ear! I would go with Ango on that other piece as well...killer material! Sweet birdies. I bet them suckers blend in real nice with all the raw material jumping around on that sifter table. Good eye!
                Last edited by Johnny; 06-03-2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Then a little SanPatrice, a killer ogalalla point, some big petrified wood blades, and hundreds of nice points. I guess that's enough for today.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow! Those are all awesome! All of this is still from the same site?

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                      Wow! Those are all awesome! All of this is still from the same site?
                      That's about 7 hours of digging there today.

Comment

Stevie somehow somewhere someplace we will shake hands my friend. Your journey has turned into my passion. Thanks for the ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy D Mercer View Post
                          Stevie somehow somewhere someplace we will shake hands my friend. Your journey has turned into my passion. Thanks for the ride!
                          It can become an obsession! I would love to shake your hand also. Why don't you show up at the Temple artifact show this weekend?

Comment

Headed out to dig a while!

Comment

Good luck today!

Comment

I dug a little while this morning. Some neat stuff.

First off I dont know! This is the third or fourth of these turkey tail looking things.

Next a nice Petrified wood Angostura and a nice flint Angostura preform.

found some nice flint points and this Paleo flake blade with micro flaking on opposite sides and ground to haft.

Nice pw points . a sweet manning point , and some killer ogalalla Garys

Not a bad seven part days of digging on the table.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X