What is a Fire Fighter worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
    Just a thought, how can 4,000 people show up to test for fort worth Fd ( just using ft worth as an example) while numerous volunteer dept's around the state are hurting for good volunteers to do the same job.. Is it cuz of the economy? Or people just not wanting to do it for free? Not trying to start a paid/volley argument just the thought came to me when reading your post. Myself, I have been a volunteer for 8 years now and will never leave my dept, even though I would like to also work for a paid dept one day, but simply just cause its what I love to do.
    And thats the key. Jobs that people love to do often pay the least because evenone wants the job which drives the price down. And this is how America is supposed to work.

Comment

RiverRat, I see what you're saying, and generally agree with you. I do love my job, and I wouldn't be happy doing anything else. In fact, I intended to be an engineer when I went to college, but being a volunteer fireman showed me that I loved this line of work, and I made the decision, for various reasons to become a firefighter instead of an engineer, knowing full well that I could have made MUCH more money as an engineer. However, the reason there are so many people wanting this job, is only partly because they want to actually do this job. Some want to do it for the "prestige" (yeah right, they never make it anyway, prestige level is low), some want to do it to help people (these are the ones we want), some want to do it for job security (it's there, but not what many think), and many right now, want to do it because the economy sucks and a good honest day's pay for an honest day's work is hard to find right now. My department used to have 100-150 people apply for the entrance exam, the test we gave in 2009 had about 300....coincidence? Nah. Now, figure the number of folks who show up to the test and divide by 50% at least....those are the ones who can't do the job, for one reason or another. Take what's left, and deduct another 50% at least, those are the ones wanting in for the wrong reasons. The remaining folks are the ones who are actually capable of doing this job, and wanting to do it for the right reasons. Take those folks and eliminate several because they made bad decisions in their past and have a felony record (yeah, that happens, they still apply, only to be eliminated), most are good guys, just made some mistakes that haunt them today. All I'm saying is that there are millions of people who would love to do this job for less than I do it for, but most are not able to for one reason or another. Just like I'm sure there are millions of people who would be doctors and lawyers for way less than those professions charge, but most are not qualified.

But hey, what do I know? I'm a fat lazy tail that wanted to be a fireman because chicks dig it.

Sorry, just wanted to insert a little comic relief into this thread.

Comment

Toot Toot,

Everyone is getting the shaft these days. Suck it up, change jobs or get over it.

Flame away but It peeves me to keep seeing these firefighter threads pop up and about how their being done wrong. WAKE up guys!! We all are in one way or another!!!!! How many poor chaps are unemoyeed right now and would love to be in a position to be complaining about this or that?????

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
          Toot Toot,

Everyone is getting the shaft these days. Suck it up, change jobs or get over it.

Flame away but It peeves me to keep seeing these firefighter threads pop up and about how their being done wrong. WAKE up guys!! We all are in one way or another!!!!! How many poor chaps are unemoyeed right now and would love to be in a position to be complaining about this or that?????
          Preach on!

Comment

Hang in there Tx-F-R...I used to look at those helpless citizens the same way when they called for a hangnail or something. I just tell the young uns that are babysittin them folks on the whambulance now that it's just job security. When you have as many dumb helpless people gathered up in one spot...like Houston or Dallas..they're always gonna need us to babysit em! Heck, come to big D and hang out with us..might like it! We've gotten several from H-town over the years. Sorry to hear about y'alls loss not so long ago as well bro. We've taken a hit the last few years as well with furlough days etc. There's abuncha folks in other areas that got sent to the house though so I sho can't complain. Hang tough though..still a dang good career even with the added dangers and time away from family. Might look around. We love hiring folks that are already certified!

Comment

I always wanted to do something in construction. I loved hanging around construction sites and dragging scrap home to build things. I have been fortunate to be able to have a job I love but it comes with a cost. It is great when times are good but as Soon as there is a down turn, watch out. I have been laid off 3 times in the last 6 years. As much as I love doing what I do, I think it is time for me to move on.

Every career choice has its negatives. Some are worse than others. For the most part, emergency responders are being asked to take pay cuts while fellow city employees are being told to hit the road.

Comment

I work in a city with no union. We seem to have a "better than usual" relationship with our city officials. We still rotate every year with which department gets the majority of the budget. It's not a formal rotation; its just the way it happens.

We get paid well, but I have had my days where I wonder where are priorities are at in society: professional sports player getting paid millions vs. professional firefighter getting paid hourly.

The big difference is no one in the city is paying for a $50 dollar ticket, a $5 hot dog, $10 for parking, and $8 for beer to see us work. In order to be paid more than what we do now, you would have to see the trucks with vehicle wraps on them with sponsors like Dr. Pepper and AFLAC on them. Basically, NASCAR sponsors on fire trucks. Increase the revenue and we'll get paid millions. But until city budgets are not based off taxes and home values, we're stuck right where we're at.

And don't forget the police, public works, and other city services. I would hate to not have a smooth ride around town, not see the law upheld, and not be able to have running water. I'm sure its also not as glamorous to deal with idiots, build a road in Texas heat, or make sure your poo makes it down a cleared line to the poo factory.

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                  I work in a city with no union. We seem to have a "better than usual" relationship with our city officials. We still rotate every year with which department gets the majority of the budget. It's not a formal rotation; its just the way it happens.

We get paid well, but I have had my days where I wonder where are priorities are at in society: professional sports player getting paid millions vs. professional firefighter getting paid hourly.

The big difference is no one in the city is paying for a $50 dollar ticket, a $5 hot dog, $10 for parking, and $8 for beer to see us work. In order to be paid more than what we do now, you would have to see the trucks with vehicle wraps on them with sponsors like Dr. Pepper and AFLAC on them. Basically, NASCAR sponsors on fire trucks. Increase the revenue and we'll get paid millions. But until city budgets are not based off taxes and home values, we're stuck right where we're at.

And don't forget the police, public works, and other city services. I would hate to not have a smooth ride around town, not see the law upheld, and not be able to have running water. I'm sure its also not as glamorous to deal with idiots, build a road in Texas heat, or make sure your poo makes it down a cleared line to the poo factory.
                  Good post. I was thinking about this after I posted. Athletes are paid what they are because they generate revenue for their bosses. Most of them grew up dreaming about being a pro athlete. There are not many people that can say that they are doing what they dreamed they would be doing whe they grew up.

Comment

You get it my friend, good post!!

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post

Comment

Last edited by Good Ol' T; 05-07-2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Ol' T View Post
                        caddokiller if guys like us did not do the job who would..... does not sound like you are up for it ...... and javelin you get holidays off right ,,, summers off? yes..weekends to spend with your family ...yes..... the reason we have what little we do is because our unions are willing to fight. yours needs to do the samething. people outside the firedept. have no **** clue as to what we due. caddokiller have you ever cut a 4 year old out of a car who was dead.
                        Brother I respect your job and you for doing it but no more than the sewer guy for doing his job. If you want a pat on the back that's cool just ask for it.

Either find another profession or stop whining about this or that. Like I said I respect the job and all but the word Pre-Madana comes to mind everytime these threads pop up which is often!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
                          Brother I respect your job and you for doing it but no more than the sewer guy for doing his job. If you want a pat on the back that's cool just ask for it.

Either find another profession or stop whining about this or that. Like I said I respect the job and all but the word Pre-Madana comes to mind everytime these threads pop up which is often!!
                          You are quick

This is where I start getting a little jaded with the FF arguement. Leave the "I was saving lives when you were sleeping" chip off of your sholder. The reality is that there isn't enough money to go around. As stated before, I grew up wanting to do construction. I was able to do that for a long time. But the jig, so to speak, is up and I have to decide if I want to keep doing it and risk being laid off again in 2 years. All careers have their negatives.

Comment

Originally Posted by Good Ol' T
                            caddokiller if guys like us did not do the job who would..... does not sound like you are up for it ...... and javelin you get holidays off right ,,, summers off? yes..weekends to spend with your family ...yes..... the reason we have what little we do is because our unions are willing to fight. yours needs to do the samething. people outside the firedept. have no **** clue as to what we due. caddokiller have you ever cut a 4 year old out of a car who was dead.

This is exactly the problem I have with what some are saying on this thread. You act like you are owed something for working on a holiday or a weekend. You are not, you chose those hours of work when you signed on so dont gripe about them. As for teachers while most are off on wkends, holidays and summers they are spent getting lesson plans together, papers graded ect. I will never ask for a pat on the back for my job nor will I try to tell someone I deserve more because I cant be with family on a certain day or that I have to cut a dead 4 year old out of a car because if that was my job, I signed on to do that and dont expect any more than what I agreed to take as payment when I signed a contract. Also, Teachers do not have unions in TX.

Comment

Every firefighter I know has two jobs. They work 24 on 48 off. Find another profession you can have 2 days off for every one! News flash you can't.

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old arguement guys, but I just heard on the local news why so many firefighters, and really any city employees in any department, are so agravated. Our city counsel is voting tomorrow evening on giving the city manager a "retention bonus" of 25k for the next three years, when no other city employee has gotten a raise in the last 4 years. Now, tell me how that's right. I'm not complaining as a firefighter, but rather as a city employee. When one guy gets over 10% bonus for the next three years, while the rest of us have "tightened our belts" for the last 4, and likely for the next several as well, under the lie that "We just don't have the money guys." If you don't have the money to give the rest of us a raise, how do you have the money to give yourself a raise? Because you're the one that writes the budget? YEP!

Comment

Working...
                                X