Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is considered Livestock to qualify Ag Exempt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease it, ours has been leased for years. Best decision we ever made, we get a check on the first of the year for the pasture, and another when the crops are sold from the cultivated land. You have to work with the operator, so you don't have livestock during hunting times, but unless it was like the drought, that was never a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
      All ours is for hay. Its the easiest.
      Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by dogcatcher View Post
        Lease it, ours has been leased for years. Best decision we ever made, we get a check on the first of the year for the pasture, and another when the crops are sold from the cultivated land. You have to work with the operator, so you don't have livestock during hunting times, but unless it was like the drought, that was never a problem.
        Explain a lil bit more for me, please? So I can be educated on this and be more knowledgable on this when and if we decided to go down that route. Cultivated? MJ? Hehehee j/k....but how do I go about it? Appreciate in-depth insight.

Comment

Previous Ag?

In other words, the land must have been qualified and appraised as agricultural land during the year before the year the owner changes to the wildlife management use. For example, an owner who wishes to qualify for wildlife management use in 2002 must be able to show the land was qualified for and appraised as agricultural land in 2001.
          I read this from the state site. Does this mean our land is not elligible since it does not already ag exempt?

Comment

You need to talk to your local appraisal district. Get the exact details on the Wildlife/Ag tax situation and the details of what they want to see.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
              I read this from the state site. Does this mean our land is not elligible since it does not already ag exempt?
              You have to be receiving the ag exemption first and then convert it to wildlife. Stupid state law. This is your good ol legislature working for you.

Comment

The area I live is Houston toad habitat and an endangered species. They offer exemption for them but minimum 10 acres. You also have a restriction from march to July were you cant mess with the land cause it's their breeding season.

Comment

Ive been in an area with spotty service.

I got email from the tax office for Caldwell Co. She said that horse would qualify as an ag exempt. I was surprised to hear this. Emailing her again on crop question as mentioned on this.

Comment

Got confirmation from County Appraisal District this evening. Our property has been reverted back to Ag from Wildlife Exempt.

Will need to talk to CPA about what can and can not be written off.

Thanks for.yall's input!

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post
                      Got confirmation from County Appraisal District this evening. Our property has been reverted back to Ag from Wildlife Exempt.

Will need to talk to CPA about what can and can not be written off.

Thanks for.yall's input!
                      Ummmm...you probably aren't ag exempt. You are probably open space exempt.

For agriculture exempt it has to be your primary business. The land AND the owner has to be qualified.

Comment

This explains it really well in laymans terms...

http://recenter.tamu.edu/pdf/1361.pdf

Comment

lease it out to a guy with cows and make sure he has to maintain the fences.... posket some money and no work and very low taxes.......

Comment

Originally posted by game stalker View Post
                            Plant your food plots in something you can make hay with and forget cows and goats
                            I got mine for growing hay. But it has the same one for over 20 years...
                            I have a little over 28 acres with a 8-10 acres hay field. The rest is thick woods...

Comment

Originally posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
                              Ummmm...you probably aren't ag exempt. You are probably open space exempt.

For agriculture exempt it has to be your primary business. The land AND the owner has to be qualified.
                              It says traditional ag exempt...hope that helps.
                              Last edited by Silent Assassin; 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post
                                It says traditional ag exempt...hope that helps.
                                Is that your primary business?

Comment

Working...
                                X