No announcement yet.

How big can wild hogs get??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been hunting hogs for 27 yrs my biggest was 265 lb ,I seen one I would guess 300 lb range he was a monster, anything over 180 lb is a really good pig. I'm like you guys all these guys say they shoot these 400 to 500 lb hog that really weigh 180 when we put them on the scale lol

Comment

Sure, those are some nice picture of what appear to be some big pigs. My question is why do we always hear of and see pictures of these supposedly 300-400 pound pigs without them hanging from a scale? Saw one picture in this entire thread that had a scale but could not read it. I have killed some very large pigs that one would claim to be 300-400 pounds. But, the reality was that the scale read otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by HEADHUNTER71 View Post
        wow !!!!! thats alot of chorizo.
        thats what im talkin bout, man. sup brotha

Comment

out in junction, its pretty common for them to get over 250 on our place.....I have killed and been witness to several killed weighing over 300....i trapped a few in georgetown earlier this year and castrated the little ones....prolly have a few 600 pounders in a few years.

Comment

why do we always hear of and see pictures of these supposedly 300-400 pound pigs without them hanging from a scale
            You'll just have to take my word for it, but I put the biggested hog I have killed (a sow) ont a certified-for-trade scale at a feed store and she came in at 244 pounds gutted.
            I was entered in Los Caz and didn't want to make the drive if I couldn't place. I couldn't so didn't.

She no doubt had at least 50 pounds of guts and organs (and blood) making her 300+ on the hoof. Probably 325-350.

Comment

She was 72 inches long, snout to the tip of tail (for the local newspaper).

Comment

Originally posted by West Texican View Post
                Field biologists tell me that when he sees or hears of a "wild" hog weighing more than 200-220 pounds, he immediately suspects the animal recently escaped from a nearby farm. I have hunted them for years, from the Rolling Plains to the Rio Grande, and I have never seen one that weighed more than 210 pounds. That hog, BTW, was said to weigh 300# -- until we actually weighed it.
                This one bottomed out I think 300# scales and head and chest was still laying on taigate of truck.

Comment

Myself, my brother and another guy saw another sow on the place at about 15 yards (no shot )that looked like this:

but was a full grown hog. This pic is of a potbellied pig.
                  I would say she was easily 400 pounds (once again, take my word for it).
                  Like I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, they get a lot to eat.

Comment

Yall guys in the know: what do you LB him out at? And how do yall tell how much them weigh based on pictures? Experience?
                    Attached Files

Comment

My buddy just killed a huge hog weighed on 2 scales one said 370 the other 372 but he had been cut and was super fat and as big around as an oak tree i imagine most people would have guessed him at 500+

Comment

Originally posted by perfectstorm View Post
                        Yall guys in the know: what do you LB him out at? And how do yall tell how much them weigh based on pictures? Experience?
                        My guess... 150-170. He's solid but not to "big". I use leg fat, neck size, belly, space between the eyes, shoulder & chest size and body length (compared to head) to guess em. I can usually get fairly close but not always. That said, I'm much better at guessing them on the hoof than in a pic.

Comment

Working...
                        X