Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<<<I’ve ****** off my redhead wife a few times and thought this might be my last day on earth
    Last edited by Tx.Fisher; 05-16-2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
      Hell yeah...

Mine was a tumor in my spine... Doc didn't think I would walk again

2.5 years away from chemo now

Congratulations on your continuing progress. Just goes to show nothing is set in stone.

Except maybe Jimmy Hoffa’s feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I was working in an attic adding new HVAC equipment when the 2x6 rafter broke and I fell from the 2nd floor attic area to 1st floor barely missing new staircase
        Landed on the equipment staged at bottom of stairwell

Also once while bow hunting back in the day from a treestand I was repelling and a screw in tree step actually broke off from tree and I fell to the ground missing the 2 tree sticks I had used to get into tree, l narrowly missed impalement onto sticks, also note that I went hunting alone this time and don’t think anyone would have found me for awhile! Never treestand hunted again
        Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 05-16-2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

In college about 1974, driving home on a winding road late at night at higher than recommended speed, I came face to face with a massive oak tree with a yellow caution sign warning of a hairpin turn to the left. My reflexes saved me from the tree as I turned the wheel sharply to the left just in time. However, as soon as my tires landed with its front wheels cut to the left and my brakes engaged, my 1970 Mustang slid left into a parked car and crunched up its left fender. Ended up with an improper driving ticket, broken tire rod, and lots wiser.

During same college days, took a day trip with friends to a place called Crabtree Falls in the Blueridge Mountains. While walking at the top of the 100 foot waterfall, which I assume is now fenced off, I began to slide toward the cliff edge on the algae covered rocks. There was nothing to hold onto to stop the slide, but some other hikers there reached out to pull me back from the edge. My roommate's Irish Setter slid over the edge, fell to the bottom, and landed in a shallow pool unscathed.

In the 80s, I had a 2X4 blind twenty feet high in a tall post oak, with boards nailed in the tree trunk for steps. It was New Years' Day, with fog freezing and coating the landscape, and tree steps, with black ice. The lower steps were ice free, but after I hung my scoped 25-06 on a branch above my head, I stepped on the last step near the top of the tree. Good news was when I slid and fell, I was wearing an insulated suit, and landed on my right shoulder instead of my head, barely missing a thick dead cedar stump. Bad news was the law of gravity had broken and dislocated my right shoulder and a finger. I was alone, and no one knew where I was, but I was able to walk back to the house. A trip to the hospital and surgery followed, and I never got my rotator cuff back to what it was.

Last close call was a stroke I had ten years ago. Due to sleep apnea, I had AFIB (atrial fibrulation)- heart failure, but didn't know it. The AFIB caused clotting in the heart, which then got in my brain. I was getting dressed to go to work, but fell against the bed, assuming I was having a heart attack. When I didn't lose consciousness, I tried to call my wife at the school, but I could not speak. The secretary told me to call 911, which I tried to do on the cell phone. 911 said I would have to call on a land line, so I did that , but still couldn't speak. EMS showed up in five minutes, and I was able to open the door and hand them my TDL without speaking. They star-flighted me to Seton Hospital in Austin where I had some bad nights with very high heart rates. No permanent damage except slight loss of feeling in my right fingertips.

Since then, I have been on blood thinner, and had a 12 hour operation called conversion ablation to burn parts of the heart to change the electric heartbeat signals. It has been ten years since the stroke, and with the help of my CPAP and blood thinner, my life has been pretty normal, although I have had one relapse of AFIB that required cardioversion (shocking the heart back into rhythm) last fall.

Comment

I got appendicitis the first evening of mine and my wife's first solo vacation together in about 9 years. Fought through it for three days before finally telling her it was time to take me home. Got to the hospital and by the time they got it out of me it had ruptured, and I was very sick. Woke up with one of those drains coming out of my gut leading to a grenade shaped pus collector. Having 2 ft of plastic tubing pulled out of my belly a couple of weeks later was probably the worst experience of the whole ordeal. It was at least 6 months later before I fully felt back to normal.

Other than that, just a couple of close calls, but nothing that actually hurt me.

When I was a junior in high school four of us were riding in a single cab F-150 (only two in seatbelts). We took a long curve and as we passed a truck coming the other way there was a loud crash. We couldn't figure out what had happened, so we stopped and turned around. The other truck did as well, and when we pulled up next to them we realized we'd hit sideview mirrors with a dodge 2500 as we'd passed them on the curve. A girl we were supposed to graduate with died in a head-on within a few hundred yards of that spot a few months later.

Last year I was fishing at a buddy's house on Sabine Lake. He's got a bunch of rocks and old concrete parking stops and stuff to keep the erosion from getting too bad when the waves get up. I was standing on top of one of these and it shifted, I fell backwards and down about 3 ft and landed on my butt in all of the broken concrete. A piece of rebar about 16 inches long sticking out of another piece of concrete went up the back of my shirt without scratching me or ripping my shirt.

Several years ago we were fishing near the end of the inside of the Lousiana jetties out of sabine pass. a pilot boat came through going about 40 mph (anyone who fishes there has had this happen) and shot a wake out that was so big it pushed us OVER the jetties and onto the La side of the gulf. no damage to us or the boat. If the wake had been a little smaller we would've been smashed against the rocks.

A few weeks ago I was driving my wife and kids between Carthage and Marshall on 59. It's two lanes going each direction with a big grass divider in the middle. It had been raining, and I was going around 65. I'd just passed a slower big rig on the left and gotten back into the right hand lane. The grass was high enough in the median that I didn't see the camaro that came across until it was in the left lane I'd just gotten out of. It had hydroplaned on the other side and come across backwards. It was heading straight for us butt-first when I guess at the last second it's front wheels dug in the mud and grass and slingshotted it back around. My wife was reading in the front passenger seat and looked up when I screamed out "OH F#$#", but all she saw was the spray of water the car threw onto our windshield from the left lane. That one shook me up a lot more than any of the others because I had my little girls in the car with me, and there was nothing I could've done to avoid the collision it if the camaro hadn't stopped, or if I hadn't gotten back into the right lane 20 seconds earlier.
            Last edited by bullets13; 05-17-2021, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
              Stabbed 3 times in a fight in high school. 2 weeks in the hospital. Had to learn to walk again.

I went to a tough high school...
              I got stuck twice in 8th grade in Dallas. Moved to Plano the same year and a kid decided to stick a BIC pen about an inch into the back of my shoulder. 8th grade was a rough year.

Comment

Been reading this one off and on all week. Y'all got some crazy stories!

Most of mine were when I was younger. Was leading a hike with the Boy Scouts when another troop decided to go up in the woods and throw a rock the size of a rabbit off a cliff to scare us. Well it bounced off a tree and hit me right on top of my head. I remember grabbing a roll of gauze out of my first aid kit and wrapping it around my head in shock. Got back to base camp, and I remember my dad who was a an adult leader at the time driving me into the hospital. He had a '78 chevy pickup and I remember the speedo went to 120 but the needle was bouncing off the pole at the bottom. Took a few stitches and the doc said if it'd been an inch over, I'd be dead on impact.

Most of my other ones are stupid things I did that I should have been seriously injured in, but I walked away without a scratch. Got hit by a car while crossing the street at Sundance Square in Fort Worth, went over over the hood, up the windshield, and landed on the other side on my feet with a sore leg, but nothing else. Did an illegal Uturn on a FM road during the pouring rain, didn't even see the car that hit me until I was about halfway into the turn. I hit the brakes, but the bias swampers I was rolling on didn't care, just kept sliding. Car hit us in the front fender at 60mph and we spun off into the ditch. Hood was about 50 yards away. Buddy and I weren't wearing seatbelts and neither of us even moved. Car that hit us had zero injuries in it either. I have no doubts that the Lord is saving me for something because He's sure protected me from a lot of stuff.

Comment

Had a guy who later committed mass murder put a pistol to my head while I was crouched over a pool table during my high school years. According to him he was just joking around.

Comment

Rattlesnake bite at 2 years old
                    Ran over by a race horse crushed skull and brain concussion at 10 yrs old
                    Pulmonary embolism in lungs at 54 after knee surgery. Dr said we normally don't find these until the autopsy
                    Pulmonary embolism again in both lungs at 61 after foot surgery. Lucky I guess my dad died of a pulmonary embolism 6 weeks after knee surgery at 67 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                      Rattlesnake bite at 2 years old
                      Ran over by a race horse crushed skull and brain concussion at 10 yrs old
                      Pulmonary embolism in lungs at 54 after knee surgery. Dr said we normally don't find these until the autopsy
                      Pulmonary embolism again in both lungs at 61 after foot surgery. Lucky I guess my dad died of a pulmonary embolism 6 weeks after knee surgery at 67 years old.
                      I am not a doctor but..... Maybe stop have surgerys?

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                        I am not a doctor but..... Maybe stop have surgerys?
                        Maybe just walk with a limp lol.

Comment

3rd grade I was swimming off Morgan's Point Beach by Laporte. Ship came by and sucked all the water out, and me too. My stepdad ran as fast as he could and grabbed me and dug his feet in to keep us from going bye bye. It's the weirdest thing watching how all the water leaves in a hurry.

Also, I'm a manager of a medical school morgue, see death everyday.

Comment

Working...
                          X