Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stabbed 3 times in a fight in high school. 2 weeks in the hospital. Had to learn to walk again.

I went to a tough high school...

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
      Stabbed 3 times in a fight in high school. 2 weeks in the hospital. Had to learn to walk again.

I went to a tough high school...
      You must be younger. In the 60's and early 70's it was settled by your fist.

Comment

October 20, 2018

I had a lease in Star. We had a ton of rain that year and the well at our lease had crapped out. I tracked a bunch of mud into our camper and decided to go to Goldthwaite after the morning hunt. I cruised into town, ate lunch, grabbed some jugs of water and a mop so I could clean the floors and do some dishes. Heading back on 84. I had a nice, mature 8 pt patterned and I was sure I was going to stick him that evening. Before Center City, a college freshman at Howard Payne was texting and driving. I start to come up a hill and she crests the hill all the way in my lane with her drivers side tire over on my shoulder. I swerve to avoid her, and just when she’s about to clear my view, I see her look up and get that “oh *****!” look. She jerks the wheel and I lose her in my vision. Next thing I know, I feel the impact, get pushed into the ditch, and I start flipping. Never lost consciousness. I distinctly remember one of the jugs of water I bought floating up, hitting me in the face, and exploding. DPS estimated that I flipped no less than 6 times. Truck stopped on its roof, engine still running. I put the truck in park, turned off the key, and undid my seatbelt and fell to the floor (roof). I crawled out one of the busted windows in my truck. Had some nerve issues that I still battle today, but no broken bones. My wife was pregnant at the time with our second. Very gracious for the Good Lord keeping me on this side of the turf. Our 3rd is due in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Massive aortic dissection March 10 2014, 7 hour surgery to repair the damaged the aortic valve and dissected 8 cm all the way to the iliac. New mechanical heart valve and 7” Dacron graft. March 4 2015, I had to have a second repair of 11 hours surgery to fix the leaking graft. Doctors
          gave me a less than 1% to survive, God has been good to me!

Comment

I was in high school riding with a friend in his dads Datsun pickup. He turned in front of a big 4x4 doing about 80mph. I hollered and my friend stopped just in time to keep the truck off my door. That truck cut the front of that Datsun off just past the windshield. If my friend had not stopped when he did we would both absolutely have died that night.

Had a guy put a pistol in my face and told me he was going to blow my head off. I told him that was a stupid idea and to get a grip on himself and turned around and walked off. I was lucky !

Several others but these are the two that come to mind most.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
              You must be younger. In the 60's and early 70's it was settled by your fist.
              Nope, I'm older. I brought my fist. Hell, I was at school. I was dealing with a different culture, the one that doesn't do anything wrong.. It was 3 different people, all had knives. They mentioned it in a article in Sports Illustrated about 15 years ago.
              Last edited by Kossetx; 05-15-2021, 07:55 PM.

Comment

1977 Sr in High School Bareback horse kicked me in the face . Woke up several days later, pretty sure I remember go toward the light and being told not yet.

Comment

Wow!! Some of you guys have been through some shat!!! 😳😳

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                    I was diagnosed with cancer and given approximately 2 weeks left to live. That was in 1991.
                    Hell yeah...

Mine was a tumor in my spine... Doc didn't think I would walk again

2.5 years away from chemo now

Comment

November 2020....

Wife told me not to go hunting on opening weekend.
                      I went anyways. Friends gave me 10% survival rate. Still walking to this day, but with a limp.

Comment

Most recent. That time millions died of covid and I kept living my day to day life without a mask on and no vaccine. Whoa! That was crazy. Such a close call.

Comment

Last edited by Katsaregood; 05-15-2021, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                            November 2020....

Wife told me not to go hunting on opening weekend.
                            I went anyways. Friends gave me 10% survival rate. Still walking to this day, but with a limp.

Nice one.

Comment

1988....140+ on my motorcycle headed to the beach on 146 and a camaro pulled out in front of me...when I swerved without looking my right knee brushed the left rear qtr panel of that car......

Comment

Bow hunting late 90’s with my brothers. I was in North Dakota still and tried to cross over a river that was froze over. Well, not froze over good enough. Fell through and caught my self under my armpits. Couldn’t touch and couldn’t get a grip to pull myself out. Not sure how long I struggled but I was spent and could hardly hang on. One of my brothers had heard me and got a long branch to me and got me out. 1/4 to the truck and I couldn’t hardly walk. Brother ran back and got the truck as far as he could to me. Stripped naked and sat on floor of truck with heater on high till we got to the house. Lots of blankets and the fire place got me right again but that’s as close as I’ve come.

Comment

Working...
                                X