Cut Down or Save Oak Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut Down or Save Oak Tree

This Willow Oak was magnificent, Houston storm sent the top and bulk of it into house and gate. Have to make a decision to trim/prune it and hope for the best or take her down. Willow oaks do put out significant new growth.

What are your thoughts?

Will be selling house in next year , so leaning toward leaving it up so I don’t have to do a heavy landscaping when root ball gets ground.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0733.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	796.6 KB
ID:	26799518
    Attached Files

We had a dozen large cedar elms damaged like this on May 9. I just had then cut down, they’ll never look right after that much damage.

Comment

I'd leave it up. If you are selling I'd let the next owner make the call.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
        I'd leave it up. If you are selling I'd let the next owner make the call.
        Yea this

Comment

It will make it 2-3 years, look pretty rough, and likely will end up dying. I would cut it down so it won't be a tree that looks like you need to take it down(a negative) while trying to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            It will make it 2-3 years, look pretty rough, and likely will end up dying. I would cut it down so it won't be a tree that looks like you need to take it down(a negative) while trying to sell.
            This, if you’re selling, you don’t need the negativity.

Comment

I would leave it. I had one that rebound pretty good.

Comment

I vote to leave it also.

Comment

New owners can get the satisfaction of planting a new one.

Comment

Paging Dr. Sackett, paging Dr. Sackett…

Comment

I vote leave as well.

Comment

Looks like crap to me and will look like crap to new buyers. Take it down and out.

Comment

Originally posted by 68rustbucket View Post
                          We had a dozen large cedar elms damaged like this on May 9. I just had then cut down, they’ll never look right after that much damage.
                          My thoughts exactly. They never look quite right after severe damage. Also, you don’t have an abundance of branches on that tree. It seems to me that the kind of pruning that would need to be done would leave little more than just the trunk. I’d want it gone.

Of course, I am no arborist.

Comment

We lost 60% of a 350 year old live oak during freezpocolypse. We left it because I didn’t have the heart to cut it down. Looks pretty sad though. Sorry I’m not much help

Comment

Firewood... Green wood splits easier than dried wood, I'm jus' sayin'...

Comment

Working...
                              X