Sand Hill Cranes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    This is a bucket list hunt for me, a chance to wingshoot with my family. I don’t care if they taste like burned shoe sole. If I they ain’t any good, the dog will eat them.
    Interesting.

If you don't wannem Don, I'll takem . Make sure the air is out of the bag before ya freeze them.
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 05-25-2024, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

Interesting.

If you don't wannem Don, I'll takem . Make sure the air is out of the bag before ya freeze them.
      Got a suck it and seal it thang Cuz, I’m on it like stank on a democrat !

When I was researching this I saw a recipe complete with pictures and it looked like a beef loin cooked about medium rare. I have no idea what it tasted like, but it looked GOOD ! (Kinda like that high falutin’ stuff that Shawn posts)
      Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-25-2024, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

Got a suck it and seal it thang Cuz, I’m on it like stank on a democrat !

When I was researching this I saw a recipe complete with pictures and it looked like a beef loin cooked about medium rare. I have no idea what it tasted like, but it looked GOOD ! (Kinda like that high falutin’ stuff that Shawn posts)
        ((chuckling))

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Youre in the minority

They're better than a red head and a marsh killed boot lip but there is farrrr better flying critters to eat
          Disagree again. I don't really know anyone that doesn't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

I’ve heard they’re not that great to eat. I have one in my freezer…just sitting there, taunting me every time I open the freezer door…but I just haven’t found an evening I can take such a risk on dinner.
            I'll take it. My brother is in college station this weekend, I'll have him swing by and take it off your hands

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

This is often the response to those who say that Sandhill Crane is not good eating. To some, I guess, SC is the rib-eye of the sky, but they often follow up with the caveat, “…but you have to cook it rare.” Apparently, cooked to a higher temp, it tastes awful.
              Rare to medium rare just like any other wild game or piece of beef

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post

I'll take it. My brother is in college station this weekend, I'll have him swing by and take it off your hands
                I’d be happy to share only it’s in the freezer at my home in Austin!

Comment

Didn’t read thru the thread, so sorry if I duplicate.

I hunt them every year. Use 20ga with 2-3/4” lead #4 or 28ga 2-3/4” lead #6

they are good to eat, but not ‘ribeye of the sky’. More like ‘sirloin of the sky’.

i also save the thighs and will cook them up different ways.

Comment

I wish I would have hunted them before they became popular and it was cheaper. Why to high dollar for me these days.
                    Good luck and tell us about the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                      Didn’t read thru the thread, so sorry if I duplicate.

I hunt them every year. Use 20ga with 2-3/4” lead #4 or 28ga 2-3/4” lead #6

they are good to eat, but not ‘ribeye of the sky’. More like ‘sirloin of the sky’.

i also save the thighs and will cook them up different ways.
                      Yep, I typically cook the thighs in slow cooker or Dutch oven for tacos, etc

Comment

After reading all this is Popeyes chicken better

Comment

I like shooting them, too. With my camera. The Sony has never told me how they taste.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandhill%20crane_A1_1-25-24-10-X2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	26800361

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                            After reading all this is Popeyes chicken better
                            Hell yeah it is!! People will stab you for some Popeyes chicken!! Nobody is getting shanked for crane meat!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                              I like shooting them, too. With my camera. The Sony has never told me how they taste.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandhill%20crane_A1_1-25-24-10-X2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	26800361
                              They surely are gangly and awkward looking birds! Great pic, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                                Hell yeah it is!! People will stab you for some Popeyes chicken!! Nobody is getting shanked for crane meat!!
                                Or the taters and bizzcuits

Comment

Working...
                                X