Sand Hill Cranes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sand Hill Cranes ?

Anybody have advice ? I have done a little research, seems like non-toxic shot is not required if you don’t shoot geese or ducks. I’m inclined to use a heavy load of #5 lead shot in a 3” case, which works well on turkeys to 40/45 yards in my experience. We will be hunting over decoys so theoretically shots should be 30 yards or closer. I will be using a Carlson Cremator extended choke (mid-range) in my Beretta AL390. Anything to add ? Thanks !

My brother shoots them with 28 gauge strictly. He is decoying them. I always pictured I was shooting a dove and just led them and pictured their head as the dove. If you are decoying them there's no reason to go spend a bunch of money on high dollar stuff.

Comment

Will work like a charm!

Comment

My grandson says they have tremendous eyesight and are much more wary than ducks or geese. Face camo is important he told me.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
          My grandson says they have tremendous eyesight and are much more wary than ducks or geese. Face camo is important he told me.

I read that they were very wary, but never thought about face camo. Thanks !

Comment

This is something I've thought would be fun (and productive as they are supposed to be really good to eat). When is your hunt? Keep us posted Don.

Comment

I’d love to shoot one out of the air with a bow!!!! I have a friend who has one mounted standing up and it’s one of the coolest bird mounts I’ve ever seen.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                This is something I've thought would be fun (and productive as they are supposed to be really good to eat). When is your hunt? Keep us posted Don.
                Second week of December, the guide recommended December 1st until Christmas as the best time. He also said it depended on the weather and how many birds were this far South.

Comment

Used to shoot them every weekend during season when I went to WTAMU. That lead ammo should work no problem if they are decoying in, I always went with whatever larger steel shot I could find in case I decided to shoot an any other waterfowl that came in. #1, BB, BBB, T, ect.... I think if they decoy in good and you shoot em in the face you can probably getaway with smaller shots too, I've heard good things about the BOSS Bismuth on em. In my experience they can absorb body shots pretty well, need a head shot or break their wing.

Comment

Think flying turkey. They hear well also. Any unfortunately, they won't live up to "ribeye in the sky". Unless you frequent the sizzler

I'd rather eat a teal or a wood duck.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Think flying turkey. They hear well also. Any unfortunately, they won't live up to "ribeye in the sky". Unless you frequent the sizzler

I'd rather eat a teal or a wood duck.
                      Disagree. Great table fare. Great texture/grain. Drastically better than teal and woodies.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post

Disagree. Great table fare. Great texture/grain. Drastically better than teal and woodies.
                        I agree with this crane in my experience crane is closer to steak than any duck.

Comment

They can be wary and have keen eye sight and can detect the slightest motion. Concealment is critical. I like a good breeze, adds natural motion to cut grain stalks, and gives them a reason to want to sit down. When I say a good breeze, I mean a “Lubbock wind” 😜. On a calm day they can circle 100 yards up for a good long while surveying for anything out of sorts

Comment

Wow Cuz! Is this for my surprise B-day party? If not, I know where we stand now, since I didn't get an invitation.

Hoping the best for ya.

Comment

I saw hundreds circling today out by Mineral Wells, Where is your hunt?

Comment

Working...
                              X