Sabine Pass Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
    On another note why is there so few bait stands down there. Like literally only three. Two of which are not conveniently located. Also why can you not buy small shrimp for nothing they are like huge mfers lol.
    Live bait doesn’t seem to be very popular or certainly not the go to unless catching your own. It’s not like people don’t use live bait but it’s artificial that ruled the roost.

When I used to fish quite a bit with live bait, the people seemed to use mud minnows much more than shrimp.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

I lived in Corpus for 10 years and fished the ULM, Baffin, Land Cut fisheries the whole time.

Moved back north and started fishing the Sabine fishery some. I am REALLY impressed with the quality of fish we were dragging out of the fishery (when it’s not practically a freshwater lake).

The girth and weights on the big girl trout is impressive to comparable length S Texas trout.
      Like that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0373.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	26798211

Comment

Maybe not the trophy trout of south Texas but it can produce a solid stringer.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          Maybe not the trophy trout of south Texas but it can produce a solid stringer.
          On years where the salinity levels stay up, I’d put Sabine against anywhere on the coast. Back in the days of TroutMasters and Spectacular tournaments, several of them were won on Sabine. The only Spectacular Championship I’ve fished, think it was 2013, we won off of Sabine with 6 fish that went ~36 lbs, two of those fish had to be < 25”. Those guys from the lower coast fishing against us (it was a tournament you could trailer your boat) couldn’t believe Sabine could produce like that.

the issue is Sabine has two massive watersheds dumping into it, so any rain in those and you’re looking at a huge influx of fresh water.

Comment

As soon as the Neches flooding slows sam Rayburn will be dumping 12' of water to continue work on shoring up the dam.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post

On years where the salinity levels stay up, I’d put Sabine against anywhere on the coast. Back in the days of TroutMasters and Spectacular tournaments, several of them were won on Sabine. The only Spectacular Championship I’ve fished, think it was 2013, we won off of Sabine with 6 fish that went ~36 lbs, two of those fish had to be < 25”. Those guys from the lower coast fishing against us (it was a tournament you could trailer your boat) couldn’t believe Sabine could produce like that.

the issue is Sabine has two massive watersheds dumping into it, so any rain in those and you’re looking at a huge influx of fresh water.
              I knew you'd be coming out. This place was great back then. The other problem is our neighbors too the east

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

I lived in Corpus for 10 years and fished the ULM, Baffin, Land Cut fisheries the whole time.

Moved back north and started fishing the Sabine fishery some. I am REALLY impressed with the quality of fish we were dragging out of the fishery (when it’s not practically a freshwater lake).

The girth and weights on the big girl trout is impressive to comparable length S Texas trout.
                You are so right on how thick the fish are. I started crappie fishing the year the flooding started.

Comment

How do yall think the Texas bay fisheries really are? If you read anything from tpw the word is its in a constant state of decline which leads to constant drop in limits. Meanwhile nothing on the commercial fishery side is tightened up. In my opinion the oyster reefs need to be left the hell alone at this point. And dolphin population is never discussed. Whats yalls thoughts?

Comment

Anybody got any news from the fishing this week?

Comment

Last weekend i was shocked at how many dolphins were in there hunting. The amount of game fish they eat would be unrivaled by anything a rod and reel could do.

Comment

How do yall think the Texas bay fisheries really are? If you read anything from tpw the word is its in a constant state of decline which leads to constant drop in limits. Meanwhile nothing on the commercial fishery side is tightened up. In my opinion the oyster reefs need to be left the hell alone at this point. And dolphin population is never discussed. Whats yalls thoughts?
                        I don't know about the rest of the state but Sabine has plenty of fish.. I live on the north end and trailer my boat to the causeway.. Texas limits are ridiculous..
                        I fished last Saturday Sunday and Monday. Had LA limits of flounder and reds in 3 to 4 hours each day..
                        Last edited by jds247; 05-25-2024, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Don’t believe everything you read on ‘forums’. Be unlike TPWD and follow the science.

Comment

Anybody heard how the bite has been lately?

Comment

TPW is the government. What do you think? I personally don't believe very much they put out. Government in general. I don't follow TPW much at all except what I read here.

Comment

Any one trying off shore this weekend I think it’s beginning of snapper season.Everyone is saying it’s supposed to be rough out there but there’s hardly any wind blowing.If anyone goes or is close please let me know what water conditions are looking like.Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X