No announcement yet.

Survey: Snake guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.38/357 Blackhawk with 3 pest loads and 3 jhp. I only use it around the camp house for rattlesnakes and skunks but porcupines made the list after killing my peach trees.

Comment

Whatever I have on me at the time works fine. Used a variety of pistols and 12 gauge.

but the judge with 410 shell sure make an easy head shot.

Comment

Was just gifted a Rossie Brawler.
        It’s more convenient than the .410 I was carrying
        in my Mule for a unplanned encounter with a moving snake.

This update to a classic handgun design features welcome improvements, 21st century manufacturing and materials and an optics rail.

Last edited by Big pig; 05-13-2024, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I think one of those little snake charmer 410's would be good, a snake catcher and a knife work pretty good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
            Was just gifted a Rossie Brawler.
            It’s more convenient than the .410 I was carrying
            in my Mule for a unplanned encounter with a moving snake.

This update to a classic handgun design features welcome improvements, 21st century manufacturing and materials and an optics rail.

Excellent article that gets into what I've noticed when shooting my Judge for groups.
            The rifling spreads the birdshot out pretty quickly. 7 yards and under is optimum.

Here is another article gleaned from the link you shared explaining the .45/410 pistols and legalities and shooting characteristics of them.
            Another excellent read for those with Judge style pistols.

.45 Colt/.410 Bore Handguns Versus Non-NFA Shotguns | An Official Journal Of The NRA (americanrifleman.org)

Comment

.38 special, first pull is bird shot and rest are JHP’s
              carry it most of the time in the off season. Bird shot works good on snakes and JHP’s for hogs, bad guys ect

Comment

a little 2' 38 special is all i need,,, my land is very wet (like right now) and i have killed about 6 moccasins with it, have used a 9mm also but way to loud and too much blow back from the mud, used a 44 bulldog and it was very effective with rat shot, but terrible with bullets,,,, 38 is easier on the ears and hasn't missed one yet....

Comment

Heritage .22 Mag with Mag rat shot, much better than .22 long rat shot. I killed a truckload of rattle snakes with it at my old lease in Throckmorton.

Comment

Son and I killed 54 copperheads in two weeks on our property using little Heritage .22 pistol and rat shot

Comment

I want a derringer that will shoot 410 and 45 LC . Will be my snake pistol.

Comment

The judge is so dang loud to shoot

Comment

Working...
                        X