No announcement yet.

Survey: Snake guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I carry all kinds of guns for all kinds of reasons but never carry for snakes. Just never needed to.

Comment

Bond arms snake slayer IV derringer. I shoot 2.5" #9 shot 410 shells out of it and they don't stand a chance. I've probably killed 25-30 snakes with it and they barely move after the hammer drops!

Comment

Originally posted by Lslite View Post
        A good solid stick.
        Amen

Comment

I can usually go 4 for 5 or 5 for 5 with my HK carry 9.

Attached Files

Comment

We kill a lot of snakes at camp on the island out of POC, best was 9 in one weekend with two of those being in my garage. Usually in camp I just use a flat nose shovel but the charmers are great while on the move or for wife and kids who're less confident in the shovel method. We use the Heritage 22lr revolvers with 22lr bird shot. Very cheap and shoots a baseball sized group at snake range. Very little quiet pop and snakes just instantly freeze, no squirming or slithering or anything it's just like flipping a switch somehow. We'll pin them with something afterwards and decapitate to ensure they don't come back to life. Anything more than 22lr bird shot just makes a mess and is too noisy.

Comment

I've got a 3" x 3" judge and carries well in a fobus holster.
              Fobus Taurus Judge Evolution Paddle Holster | Academy
              I've killed a handfull of rattlers and a few deer with it (one on purpose, one coup-de-grace)

​I keep 3 cylinders of 3" .410 and 2 with .45 LC.

Anywho-

BUT, if I was gonna buy a gun for only snake use- I would consider going with a ~10 round .22 semi- auto.
              Within 10 shots you should hit it enough to incapacitate it.

The Judge is LOUD- twice (yes twice because I didn't learn the first time) I've found myself without ear plugs trying to shoot a rattler with one ear plugged by my left hand and the other wedged in my right shoulder to be able to aim and block the noise- it doesn't work. Yes, the snake dies, but the noise reaches the ears and rocks what hearing a have left for a jolt.

A semi- auto .22 is a lot quieter to shoot and fun/ cheap to plink with.

Comment

Ruger Single Six in LR or WMR (one gun, two cylinders), with rat shot. Easy day. I also have rat shot for nearly ever pistol I own, including 9mm.

Comment

In todays world I'd rather carry a gun that's loaded to kill a person. Snakes are fragile creatures that you can kill with basically anything and aren't out to kill you. People on the other hand..... they'll kill you dead. If it can't stop a threat from a two legged snake it ain't worth packing around.

The last snake I killed was with a piece of a 2x4. They're not very tough. I rarely kill one but most of the time I step on their head and cut it off with a pocket knife. It's easy.
                  Last edited by okrattler; 05-13-2024, 05:04 AM.

Comment

I have a beat up old Smith and Wesson 12 gauge pump shotgun that stays on the four wheeler. I shortened the barrel about forty years ago with the intent of using it for personal defense and snake killing. Around the house I'll just use a square blade shovel.

Comment

Single shot 20 gauge !
                      A machete on a pole works good too.

Comment

No need,people yes,snakes no

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                          I carry all kinds of guns for all kinds of reasons but never carry for snakes. Just never needed to.
                          Same for me as stated above but to each their own. I actually don’t see that many snakes and my place is surrounded by woods and very rural. I guess my two tom cats outside take care of business.
                          Last edited by tps7742; 05-13-2024, 06:12 AM.

Comment

This thread sure degraded into a stick measuring contest.

I killed one last year with a set of limb loppers, but they don’t always stay out of the tangles for such a precision job.

And for the record I would rather have snakes than two tomcats !

The Rossi Brawler looks awesome.

Comment

I have rat shot for my .22 mag and my .45 revolvers.

Comment

My go-to is a 42" Midwest Industries, with a Gerber Paraframe folder for detaching heads, when needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X