No announcement yet.

Severe geomagnetic solar storm warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We saw someone in Tractor Supply today in Willis that said she saw it last night as well. She had a picture of it and it looked like Bill's picture.

I was amazed it was able to be seen this far south. And it happened around 9pm she said. I thought it was supposed to happen between 2am and 5am, so we didn't even give it a shot.

Its a bummer, cause its supposed to be overcast and raining tonight and I think there was still supposed to be a chance.

Glad some of you all got to see it.

J​

Comment

From SpaceWeather dot com in regards to the northern lights:

The low latitude of these sightings would seem to place this storm among the greatest aurora displays of the past 500 years.​

This is also from SpaceWeather dot com, but this is in regards to the strong X class flare that happened yesterday:

ANOTHER SIGNIFICANT CME IS COMING: Giant sunspot AR3664 unleashed another X-flare today (May 11th @ 0139 UT)--its strongest yet. The X5.8-class explosion produced a significant CME with an Earth-directed component:

The snowy speckles in this SOHO coronagraph movie are caused by energetic particles hitting the spacecraft's camera. The particles are being accelerated toward the spacecraft (and toward Earth) by shock waves in the emerging CME. They are a sign that it is a potent storm cloud with an Earth-directed component.

This CME could reach Earth on May 13th, adding new power to the ongoing geomagnetic storm.

So we aren’t done with it all just yet.

Comment

Any of this still happening?

Looks like we might actually have a clear sky tonight to be able to see it.

J

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
          Any of this still happening?

Looks like we might actually have a clear sky tonight to be able to see it.

J
          What time will you be able to see it?

Comment

This is my question. In Conroe area and weather says should be clear all night.

Although, doubt I would stay up past midnight to try and see it. Haha

J

Comment

They are trying to cover it up and won’t admit it but this and all the recent terrible weather events are caused by all the solar panels reflecting the heat back from the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                They are trying to cover it up and won’t admit it but this and all the recent terrible weather events are caused by all the solar panels reflecting the heat back from the earth.

Huh???? Evidence to back this up?

Reflecting the heat back where exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post

Huh???? Evidence to back this up?

Reflecting the heat back where exactly?
                  Yeah, I thought solar panels absorbed heat, not reflected it. I do believe tho that if we had enough solar panels to create the electricity it would take to replace fossil fuels, the "global warming" effect would be greater. And no I'm not saying fossil fuels are causing global warming. At least not to a degree it would matter. Just saying solar, wind, or any other form of energy source that completely replaces fossil fuel would be at least equal to or greater than the effects of fossil on the environment.

Sorry for the sidetrack. This thread was about geomagnetic storms. My apologies to the OP. Back to the original topic now.
                  Last edited by rolylane6; 05-14-2024, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post

What time will you be able to see it?
                    Guy at work said he heard starts around 10 and ending around 2.

Comment

Working...
                    X