Homemade Sauerkraut question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Terry, where does your wife get the Korean pepper flakes??
    I made a batch last year but I ruined it by adding cayenne pepper flakes I’d made from peppers I got from my garden. ☹️😢 Stuff would light you up‼️‼️🥵
    YES!!

In many recipes you can absolutely substitute.

There is no substitute for gochugaru and certainly not Cayenne pepper. A course ground paprika might come the closest in taste.

My wife goes to some of the Korean stores in Houston but around the Beaumont/Port Arthur area I can go to the Vietnamese stores and usually get some.

BUT….

There is always Amazon. I get a lot off of there when I cannot find it locally like Thai curry paste, Kafir lime leaves, Kashmiri chili flakes, galangal, etc.

On occasion she gets some that her niece grows and grinds gochugaru n Korea and ships it to us but I hate the expense. 😳

Comment

Well, many years ago my office was near Hardin Dr. And the Gessener/Bellaire area. That’s about as close to “the real thing” for all manner of Asian food. We still go over to the area from time to time for Chinese/Thai/Korean food.

Comment

I haven’t made it in a few years . I always used a weighted plate in a 5 gallon crock or food grade bucket . My wife and kids won’t really eat it . So now I make a small batch at a time . A buddy of mine makes something called the ultimate pickle jar . Works on a normal glass jar . here is his link .
        The Art of Small Batch Fermentation Just Got Better. Small batch home fermenting kits for mason and fido jars

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
          X2 on the water sealed crock and long fermentation during the winter months.

I use a Polish water sealed crock and weight plates.

make 15#s and prep 5#s at a time.

per each 5#s of cabbage add 3 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp juniper berries.

prep - I do 5#s finely sliced cabbage, salt and juniper in a canning pot on the floor……beat it up good with your fists or a kraut masher……add to crock and repeat until all cabbage is in the crock. It should be covered in it’s own brine, if not, use 1 1/2 tbsp pickling salt to 1 quart of water to top off.
          place the weights on the cabbage, put the lid on and fill the water seal. I set the crock on a couple pieces of wood to allow circulation, just something I do.
          Now for the hard part…………the wait.
          hearing the water seal “burp” is always fun.

I also leave a few jars of it in the fridge, and freeze the rest.
          freezing is better for keeping the majority of the health benefits alive. Canning kills them.

homemade kraut becomes pretty addictive.
          Thanks for this post. Ive bee wondering what would be an appropriate top off solution.

Thanks for everyones input.

I finally mashed the kraut to get the gas at the bottom out and force the brine down. I had let it ride that way for a few days since I had a good visible seal. Whilst mashing, I didnt think there was going to be enough brine to cover the kraut but it was good to go.

The mid ferment QC was Fat Kid tested. Fat Kid approved.

Comment

Briar, sounds like you’re rickin n rollin with it!!! Awesome

all this kraut talk has me picking up cabbage tomorrow 👍

Comment

Yes Sir.
              Im already looking to start another batch…but different.
              Another mash and tasting today.
              Jr turned his nose at it.
              My woman wont.

Comment

Working...
              X