Homemade Sauerkraut question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Sauerkraut question

It my first go at sauerkraut. 2% salt by weight of 53 oz cabbage and a carrot

Im using a large Mt Olive pickle jar. It has a metal lid. I gather fermenting in metal containers is chemically unwise…acidity will eat metal and all.

I cant find a plastic lid to fit so I loose fitted a plastic sandwich bag over the jar opening and loose secured the metal lid on top. Im going for a self burping set up.

Yall think itll ride and be just fine?

My idea for an alternative lid is simply the plastic bag and a rubber band around the opening.

What say Yall?

I fill a gallon freezer bag with water and place on top of the cabbage. Any gasses will escape and no oxygen gets to the cabbage. I`ve used this method several times and had great success. I let it ferment for at least 3 weeks and it has never had a funky smell. I actually have some in the refrigerator now that I made a few months ago. Taste just like the day I finished fermenting it. Good stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	saurk1.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	26780268

Comment

i have a 5 gallon stone crock with weights and a wooden lid. the weights keep it all below the water line. i usually season with caraway seeds and a shredded apple.

Comment

No thank you!!! I put that right up there with eating guts and internal organs from wild game.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          It my first go at sauerkraut. 2% salt by weight of 53 oz cabbage and a carrot

Im using a large Mt Olive pickle jar. It has a metal lid. I gather fermenting in metal containers is chemically unwise…acidity will eat metal and all.

I cant find a plastic lid to fit so I loose fitted a plastic sandwich bag over the jar opening and loose secured the metal lid on top. Im going for a self burping set up.

Yall think itll ride and be just fine?

My idea for an alternative lid is simply the plastic bag and a rubber band around the opening.

What say Yall?
          It'll be fine. I pickle cukes in that same jar with metal lid and it even seals.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
            I fill a gallon freezer bag with water and place on top of the cabbage. Any gasses will escape and no oxygen gets to the cabbage. I`ve used this method several times and had great success. I let it ferment for at least 3 weeks and it has never had a funky smell. I actually have some in the refrigerator now that I made a few months ago. Taste just like the day I finished fermenting it. Good stuff.

]
            Awesome! Ive got the same already in the jar… a gallon freezer bag filled with water to keep the cabbage submerged below the brine. I never thought to just let that ride as the lid.

Thanks for everyones input.
            Yall have a great day and God bless!

Comment

Check out the pickle pusher . Buddy of mine makes them . Works great for small batch ferments.

Comment

I do like, Sharpstick.

Comment

Fridge or sitting out? I need to try this

Comment

Boy does that ever bring back memories of Aunt Goldie’s big crockpot full of fermenting kraut—as I remember she just set a plate on top of the crock, but I have no memory of what might have been under it. Anyone drink kraut juice out of the crock?

Comment

Now just add some garlic, green onions, red pepper flakes, ginger and sugar and you can have kimchi…..

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                        Now just add some garlic, green onions, red pepper flakes, ginger and sugar and you can have kimchi…..
                        This right here!! Love me some kimchi!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240501_090848.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	26780990

I have several round stones that fit nicely to weigh everything down. I also make fermented pickles and garlic in it.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

This right here!! Love me some kimchi!!
                            My wife made meat and kimchi pancakes tonight.. Great stuff…..

Comment

I use a kimchi fermenter for my kraut, works great

Comment

Working...
                              X