No announcement yet.

First time turkey huntin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy a box of 4-5 duplex turkey ammo and it will hammer down at 45 yards out of about any shotgun.

Comment

Get out of the blind, they will come from all directions.i carry a short stool with foldup legs and find a tree to lean on. I also prefer to run and gun.shot gun for sure.

Comment

35 yards is not a concern with good loads out of a shotgun. Don’t put decoys out at a feeder. After you kill
        one with the kiddo…..get out and about and hunt them with calls and such. You’ll appreciate it so much more! Good luck!

Comment

I’ve never killed one with a .22lr but I have killed a couple with a .22 mag, and they were body shots.

Comment

I’ve shot tons of turkeys with a .22LR and .22Mag. I’ve shot turkeys with 12ga. I’ve shot turkeys with a crossbow and with a compound. It’s all fun and can all be effective. If you’re hunting a feeder and hens come in, be patient, the Toms will come in and make a performance. Let them strut and wait for a good shot. If you can wait and watch them, you'll get a lot more out of the experience and will learn more about Turkey behavior that will help you as you progress 👍

Comment

The turkeys are definitely active in my neck of the woods this year. I’ve been waking up to them most every morning for the last two weeks. Never hunted turkey but it sounds like a blast.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Short answer, take the shotgun. Have fun with your son and best of luck to you.

Comment

Shotgun. We have shot them with lots of guns and loads in the past 40 yrs and if they are close everything works. If they are out of your comfortable range, don’t shoot and enjoy the show. Best part of turkey hunting is the experience, not the kill in my opinion.

Unfortunately, the best weapon in your turkey gear is patience. I raised two kids hunting and that is sometimes a challenge. Turkeys can’t smell you but never miss movement, sound or bright colors.

I would not carry two guns. You will have enough gear with one child.

Lastly, my aiming point of turkeys is where the feathers stop just below the head. Otherwise half your pattern is destined to miss high

good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfootwolff View Post

This would be my plan of action. An extra or extra extra full turkey choke with Winchester Longbeard XR shells (5 or 6 shot) will throw an incredibly tight pattern that is easily capable of taking a turkey at 35-40 yards. I would definitely pattern your shotgun at 40 yards to determine where the core of your pattern is inpacting, and make any adjustment to ensure where you know your core pattern will strike. I have had good luck shooting TSS shot shells and Winchester Longbeard XR shells through the Winchester Longbeard XR choke made by Carlson's. It is not as expensive as some of the boutique high end $90-$100 choke tubes, and it produces a great pattern at 40 yards. Having seen how quick a turkey can jerk their head, I would be concerned about hitting a jerking turkey's head with a .22 at 35 yards, not that you or the gun aren't capable, but by the time your brain says to pull the trigger, and your finger reacts and squeezes of the shot, a bird could easily bod their head causing a clean miss. The shotgun is a lot more forgiving, and a good tight 10-12 inch wall of shot is hard for a turkey's head to escape.
                    Good advice here.

Comment

If ya got your lil man with ya, buy him a box call and put couple the decoys between you and feeder but not in direct line. That way if they wonder what all the racket is, they will think it's the decoys but if looking at decoys won't look past them and see you two. Yes, he may call too much and yes he probably won't sound just like a turkey but you only get a certain amount of these things with him. (don't overthink the intelligence of turkeys) My boys are now reaching age where they have outgrown dads help and wanting to get a bird on their own. Was my goal all along but it's also a bit bittersweet!

Comment

My daughter killed her first 2 with a .22. Body shot right where wing meets body. Bang flop!

shotgun is waaayyyyy preferred for an adult for sure! Wife killed many over 30 yards with 7 1/2 low brass in 20 ga. And I’ve called and guided and seen gobblers fall like the hand of God struck them over 50 with 12ga actual turkey set ups

Comment

I would agree with using a shotgun and good turkey loads! If they come to feeder good for you, I understand hunting with a 4 year old!! I can tell you that if you get out and call and travel it is much like elk hunting in that you call, they call and you try to outsmart them! It is so cool to do it that way, but with a youngster that may be a bit much! Good luck whatever you choose!

Comment

Shotgun homie

Comment

Sure hope y’all have a good time! I can certainly understand your desire to make sure everything is perfect for your little man’s first turkey hunt, but consider taking in the thought someone pointed out, it’s all about the experience.

Now, on to what to kill it with. Lots of good options already presented, so I’ll surely just be reconfirming those .

- .22. — I had a buddy’s dad who hunted with nothing but a .22lr for as long as I can remember. He was an incredible turkey hunter and never had any issues killing his birds year in and year out. He’d shoot both for the neck and where the wing met the body.

- shotgun —Probably the most used turkey killer out there. As others have mentioned, I’d have no worries about shooting 35 yds, or even further than that. If you’re looking for something a bit more affordable than TSS, I have mainly shot Federal Heavyweight #7s and have never had issues out to 50yds. That being said, my son killed his first turkey with 7 shot, low brass dove loads…at a relatively close distance. Also, someone above mentioned a very good point, I like to aim either mid neck or where the feathers meet the neck (depending on bird position), because if you aim for their head half of your shot is going to miss high.

- bow — Always fun, but so are the other choices. Lots of shot placement pics/videos out there that I’d study. As someone else mentioned, a bigger broadhead is a plus, but I’d say it isn’t a must.

best of luck and I hope y’all make memories that’ll last a lifetime!

Comment

Find the tree they are roosting in. Set up a ground blind with cedar/brush using loppers in advance. Wind direction does not matter. Get in the blind right at first light, out of the sightline of the roost. Watch the roost- when they fly down, hit one loud lick on your chalked box call and wait. When you get an answer, hit two hard yelps and pick up you gun and wait. You will find this more fun than hunting a feeder. But... watch for rattlers. Four might be too young for walking in the dark. I think mine was ten when I first took him.

Comment

Working...
                                X