First time turkey huntin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time turkey huntin'

Hey folks! I am hoping for some feedback before I go out and do this...
    I will be going turkey hunting for the first time this season on our lease. I have a flock (hope that's the right word) of turkeys, about 12 to 15, that were coming to the feeder almost daily when it was throwing corn. I filled the feeder back up last weekend.

I want to take my 4 yo with me... He is pumped to hunt with dad. However, the boy has more energy than you can imagine, and he doesn't know how to whisper either.

I have a permanent blind set up 35 yds away from the feeder, and rather than use a bow on a 35 yd shot, I felt it would be better to use rimfire... 22lr. I have a 10/22 that I am more than confident with at 100 and feel 35 is a cake walk on nailing one in the head. I checked with the GW in my county and shooting gobblers using decoys with a rifle as they feed under corn is legal in my county (but check your county if you are reading this and getting any ideas.)

Accuracy is not a problem, and I am foregoing any ethical dilemmas intentionally using corn and a rifle vs bow or shotgun on account of wanting junior and I to get our feet wet, but my question is... Is a 22 lr got enough oomph to humanely kill a bird? Again, placement is not a concern. Is their head still enough, and is the bullet the right bullet is my question... I could go 223 and probably not have any issues, but I feel way more confident in the 22. Thanks!

I'm sure it is.

Comment

Their heads like to never stop moving. Hand corn closer and shoot with your shotgun if not comfortable shooting 35 yards with it.

22 will get it done

Comment

35 yards away i dont see why you wouldnt just get some turkey shells and shoot your shotgun

Comment

I’d use a shotgun or bow and if bow the biggest mechanical broadhead your bow will shoot. Good luck OP.

Comment

If you’ve never turkey hunted a shotgun is the better weapon. Arrow placement on a turkey might be a problem if you don’t know where to shoot. If you don’t have a shotgun, use the .22 with hollow points, but as said above, a turkey’s head ain’t still much, and they can move it quick. Good luck !

Comment

I felt 35 was a stretch for a shotgun...is that not the case? If not, may as well just get a new turkey choke and hammer one that way.

Comment

we have killed them at 35 yards with shotgun

place some corn coming back in your direction to bring them in closer.

use a hen decoy down that line of corn.

dont call too much

i wouldnt call if they are coming to you

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I have a Jake, Tom and hen decoy...should I bother with the Jake and Tom? If so, where should they be placed?

Comment

You need a plan B. It's breeding season and every tom turkey I've ever seen abandoned feeders for roaming, looking for hens. Maybe the hens willl come to feeders but that's iffy too.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                      I felt 35 was a stretch for a shotgun...is that not the case? If not, may as well just get a new turkey choke and hammer one that way.
                      I've been turkey hunting for 30+ years and have shot 5-6 with my bow...shot placement is the key. Since you are a beginner then you should use a 12-gauge shot gun, full choak or turkey choke. We have shot gobblers out past 50 yards with TSS loads and a turkey choke. TSS is not cheap. Winchester Long Beard Uncategorized Groups 12 gauge is the best lead load on the market and can take down a gobbler at 50 yds with a good shot. It is not as expensive as TSS.
                      Forget the 22. As mentioned above turkeys are constantly moving and the best human shot is with 12 ga. and aim for the head. Shoot one in the body and you may never find that bird. OBW the a turkey will not leave a blood trail, if it does that would be an anomaly. Head shot and they fold on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mertz09 View Post

I've been turkey hunting for 30+ years and have shot 5-6 with my bow...shot placement is the key. Since you are a beginner then you should use a 12-gauge shot gun, full choak or turkey choke. We have shot gobblers out past 50 yards with TSS loads and a turkey choke. TSS is not cheap. Winchester Long Beard Uncategorized Groups 12 gauge is the best lead load on the market and can take down a gobbler at 50 yds with a good shot. It is not as expensive as TSS.
                        Forget the 22. As mentioned above turkeys are constantly moving and the best human shot is with 12 ga. and aim for the head. Shoot one in the body and you may never find that bird. OBW the a turkey will not leave a blood trail, if it does that would be an anomaly. Head shot and they fold on the spot.
                        I agree with this. To add if you are really worried about distance set up a pop up blind. The turkeys do not care about a pop up....

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post

I agree with this. To add if you are really worried about distance set up a pop up blind. The turkeys do not care about a pop up....
                          Good point. Hunting turkeys and white tail deer is not the same in that respect. Also turkeys can't smell you like a WT. But their eye site is 50+ times better than ours and they can see colors.

Comment

Turkey ammo isn’t what it used to be. You used to be able to stretch it to 40 yards max. Now days 40 has turned into 50 / 60.

why not throw a shotgun and .22 in the stand? If they hang up out of range use the .22. If they come inside 40 pick up the shot gun with Winchester long beard and a full or turkey choke.

Comment

Originally posted by SHSU18 View Post
                              Turkey ammo isn’t what it used to be. You used to be able to stretch it to 40 yards max. Now days 40 has turned into 50 / 60.

why not throw a shotgun and .22 in the stand? If they hang up out of range use the .22. If they come inside 40 pick up the shot gun with Winchester long beard and a full or turkey choke.
                              This would be my plan of action. An extra or extra extra full turkey choke with Winchester Longbeard XR shells (5 or 6 shot) will throw an incredibly tight pattern that is easily capable of taking a turkey at 35-40 yards. I would definitely pattern your shotgun at 40 yards to determine where the core of your pattern is inpacting, and make any adjustment to ensure where you know your core pattern will strike. I have had good luck shooting TSS shot shells and Winchester Longbeard XR shells through the Winchester Longbeard XR choke made by Carlson's. It is not as expensive as some of the boutique high end $90-$100 choke tubes, and it produces a great pattern at 40 yards. Having seen how quick a turkey can jerk their head, I would be concerned about hitting a jerking turkey's head with a .22 at 35 yards, not that you or the gun aren't capable, but by the time your brain says to pull the trigger, and your finger reacts and squeezes of the shot, a bird could easily bod their head causing a clean miss. The shotgun is a lot more forgiving, and a good tight 10-12 inch wall of shot is hard for a turkey's head to escape.

Comment

Working...
                              X