No announcement yet.

Herb Alpert and…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The man has a very interesting biography. At one time he owned the largest recording label in the country. I have six or eight of his albums.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      I bet that was a great show! When his "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" album came out I remember being mesmerized by the album cover even though I was only 9 years old.
      I was only a few years younger than you when my parents bought this album. It was considered very "racy" at the time!

Mr. Alpert gave us the backstory for the album cover. He also explained the evolution of the name of the record label at the same time. During the early course of his career, Herb Alpert used his success as a popular musician as a platform to start producing music. He partnered with a friend whose name was Jay Moss and they started their own label called Carnival Records (or something forgettable and to that effect). However, another record label alleged infringement of intellectual rights of some sort (the story was a little obscure), so Albert and Moss quickly changed the name of their record company to what we know it to be today...A&M Records.

Anyway, if I understood him correctly, the model for the Whipped Cream album cover was a love interest of Mr. Moss's who was a model to whom he promised he would use on his next album cover. However, when it came time for her to model for the cover image, she was several months pregnant! So some clever staff member came up with the idea to cover her in whipped cream (which, of course, was a sexual double entendre...I told you it was "racy"), however, the whipped cream melted after they applied it to her body. The solution? Use shaving cream.

So the album, Whipped Cream, should really have been named Brill, or something to that effect!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        I bet that was a great show! When his "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" album came out I remember being mesmerized by the album cover even though I was only 9 years old.
        I remember that album in my parent's record collection. Here's the story behind it. Most was shaving cream, whipped cream melted under the studio lights. https://www.billboard.com/music/feat...later-7370623/

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

My memory would have been much better had I been able to see the stage.

In my not so humble opinion, if you have a head as big as a billboard you need to sitting in the back row! (see pic)
          As a 6'2" guy with a large head (size 7/78 hat), when I attend a stand-up general admission concert, I try to offer my position to a shorter person behind me so they can see. For an assigned seat event, an aisle seat is good, or front row balcony. Tall guys with bushy hair are the worst view blockers. There is always someone taller, and if not, they will stick their phones over their head to video.
          '

Comment

Originally posted by BarBBar View Post

As a 6'2" guy with a large head (size 7/78 hat), when I attend a stand-up general admission concert, I try to offer my position to a shorter person behind me so they can see. For an assigned seat event, an aisle seat is good, or front row balcony. Tall guys with bushy hair are the worst view blockers. There is always someone taller, and if not, they will stick their phones over their head to video.
            '
            Hah! I love it!

Comment

Working...
            X