Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tractor peeps...box blade or land plane...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on our parking area and drive I use the box blade to fill in holes, rain and cars, and clean it up with a 6 ft. heavy chain drag harrow with teeth up and it looks very smooth and nice. Wife even comments on how nice it looks....I've never used a plane just a box blade and straight blade/angle

Comment

I prefer a box blade most of the time. To me it is a little better at doing the task. and a land Plane is a great finishing tool. My driveway is 1/2 so I maintain it on a regular basis with a box blade, and it is easier to keep a crown on the driveway with a box blade. If I had a large flat area to smooth like a gravel parking lot a land plane would be better.

Comment

Question regarding land plane width. My tractor is 46hp at PTO, 72” wide at rear tires. Would yall recommend a 6’ or 7’ land plane? I don’t want to go too large and not be able to maintain crown on smaller driveways. 7’ sure does cover the tracks nicely though, what’s y’all’s opinion on optimal land plane width.

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
          Question regarding land plane width. My tractor is 46hp at PTO, 72” wide at rear tires. Would yall recommend a 6’ or 7’ land plane? I don’t want to go too large and not be able to maintain crown on smaller driveways. 7’ sure does cover the tracks nicely though, what’s y’all’s opinion on optimal land plane width.
          Everyone seems to recommend something wider than your rear tires. I ended up with an armstrong ag thats 52'' wide. It will cover tracks on one unit but not the other.

havent unloaded it yet but we'll see

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
            I see where you mentioned maintaining a crown on a driveway using a land plane. As mentioned before I have a land plane, have used it a handful of times but my experiences you will not be able to maintain a crown on your drive. It makes a flat grade but I could be not using mine correctly. My 2cents and about all it’s worth. I would want my tire tracks covered also when using one.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post

I see where you mentioned maintaining a crown on a driveway using a land plane. As mentioned before I have a land plane, have used it a handful of times but my experiences you will not be able to maintain a crown on your drive. It makes a flat grade but I could be not using mine correctly. My 2cents and about all it’s worth. I would want my tire tracks covered also when using one.
              If you set up your work properly it easy to create & maintain a crown.

Comment

Yea, if your driveway has a crown on it to start with, a land plane is easy to maintain the crown if done properly... do the sides first, then drag the middle lightly... You can even add to the crown that way if you want...

Comment

You just need to adjust your draw bars and top link. Get the plane to be slightly higher on the side where your gravel is exiting the plane and slightly higher in the back. Then run it where the exit side is toward the middle of the road. That will move gravel from the edges to the middle. Then, like Charlie said, make a light pass right down the middle to finish it off.

Comment

Thanks for the tips on working the crown on my driveway.

Comment

What the…?

Are we still talking’ about this??

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                        What the…?

As opposed to a dishwasher that won't drain......?

Comment

What the…?

Come on, give us a break! lol And with some of the BS you are throwing out there on occasion. 😁

Comment

Come on, give us a break! lol And with some of the BS you are throwing out there on occasion. 😁
                            Please…somebody throw some BS out there! This place is getting about as dry as my vagitable garden.

Comment

😮

Comment

Please…somebody throw some BS out there! This place is getting about as dry as my vagitable garden.
                                So it's not just the dishwasher that needs a plumber?

Comment

Working...
                                X