Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tractor peeps...box blade or land plane...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor peeps...box blade or land plane...?

Gonna be spreading rock for driveways, trailer parking areas, fill dirt and smoothing pig ruts etc.

I have access to a box blade but I'd rather have my own so I'm not carrying back and forth

Which one?

following as not familiar with a land plane.

Comment

I feel like a box blade with adjustable rippers works better with lower HP. The plane doesn't have much wiggle room so need more power but would make a nicer finished product.

Comment

When you say land plane, are you talking about something like a Bionic Blade? The box blade will move more material from one area to another, but the bionic blade will leave smoother drive working with gravel.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
          When you say land plane, are you talking about something like a Bionic Blade? The box blade will move more material from one area to another, but the bionic blade will leave smoother drive working with gravel.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240324_185042_Chrome.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	26752425

Something like this. i know a box will move more but that's not much of a concern really. I have FEL

Comment

There's a big learning curve with those. That land plane looks on the small side so I would do the box blade or save the money and get really good with the FEL.

Comment

I have a land plane, owned it for about 3 years and only used it a half dozen times so I am still in the learning stage. It has rippers and they are adjustable, you can only make a level grade (I think🤓). I do believe you can get rougher with a box blade if needed. The reason I bought a land plane is because I have a very long driveway. I already had a box blade with my older tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                I have a land plane, owned it for about 3 years and only used it a half dozen times so I am still in the learning stage. It has rippers and they are adjustable, you can only make a level grade (I think🤓). I do believe you can get rougher with a box blade if needed. The reason I bought a land plane is because I have a very long driveway. I already had a box blade with my older tractor.
                thanks, driveway at the lake is 150' and an additional drive will come eventually that will be longer

Comment

Box for moving lots of material and rough grading,

land plane for making it look like you know what you are doing.

Comment

I’m going to display my ignorance and say that I’ve never heard of—nor ever even seen—a land plane. To that end, I can’t really say that I’ve missed it either. Box blade seems to work for whatever we need it to do.

That land plane in your picture looks like there are a lot more parts to get broken. Not sure that my comments are all that helpful, though.

Comment

I use the bucket on the front to move and drag material, and then the land plane on the back to smooth it out and make it look nice.

Comment

I've got both and they both do what they are intended to do. Like stated, the box will move material farther and if you spend enough time with it, you can be somewhat proficient. The land plane doesn't carry much material, but it produces a more favorable end product. With the plane, the more you work with it, the smoother and better your drive will be. My drive is 4/10 mile to the county road and the land plane has been a real time saver.
                        As far as smoothing up where pigs have been rooting, I would say box blade is the better bet. The cutting edges on the land plane will catch and 'float' on grass clumps, making it fairly useless for that operation.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Comment

I did this stuff for a living. Go find a old used Gannon box blade. There is a huge difference between a Gannon and any other brand. Find some one that does this for a living and look what is behind their tractor. At a minimum, also a hydraulic top link, A hydraulic side tilt and hydraulic ripper actuator is nice, but if you want to "get er done" a Gannon with a hydraulic top link will do it

Comment

Originally posted by atfulldraw View Post
                            box for moving lots of material and rough grading,

land plane for making it look like you know what you are doing.
                            bingo!

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                              I’m going to display my ignorance and say that I’ve never heard of—nor ever even seen—a land plane. To that end, I can’t really say that I’ve missed it either. Box blade seems to work for whatever we need it to do.

That land plane in your picture looks like there are a lot more parts to get broken. Not sure that my comments are all that helpful, though.
                              you should get that grapple for your hubs first

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                              I've got both and they both do what they are intended to do. Like stated, the box will move material farther and if you spend enough time with it, you can be somewhat proficient. The land plane doesn't carry much material, but it produces a more favorable end product. With the plane, the more you work with it, the smoother and better your drive will be. My drive is 4/10 mile to the county road and the land plane has been a real time saver.
                              As far as smoothing up where pigs have been rooting, I would say box blade is the better bet. The cutting edges on the land plane will catch and 'float' on grass clumps, making it fairly useless for that operation.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

I didnt think about the clumps and thats the largest issue with the pig damage. That said I float the bottom of the grapple of it and it does ok. About 5 trips with a disc works better

Originally posted by texasair View Post
                              I did this stuff for a living. Go find a old used Gannon box blade. There is a huge difference between a Gannon and any other brand. Find some one that does this for a living and look what is behind their tractor. At a minimum, also a hydraulic top link, A hydraulic side tilt and hydraulic ripper actuator is nice, but if you want to "get er done" a Gannon with a hydraulic top link will do it
                              I dont have rear remotes for all that. On either tractor. I already added a divertor valve on the little rig so I could run a grapple

Comment

Working...
                              X