No announcement yet.

Alaskan vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamond. We are gonna hike Harding Icefield and Exit Glacier area. We are only gonna be there on Kenai for about 5 days. What are must visit or see while we are there? Thanks

Comment

We’re gonna be in Sterling the 7-13! Have multi species trips booked in Homer and Seward. A fly out to wolverine creek. A salmon trip on the Kenai and a trout trip on the upper Kenai! Pops, me, and my son!! Not chasing redfish this summer. Super excited for this trip. Fishing and chasing birds is my thing!

Comment

Whittier and Denali are 2 must see things. the bus to Mt McKinley from Denali village is Awesome. the WW2 museum in Whittier is pretty cool , the boat ride to glaciers out of Whittier is very cool.

Comment

We did 7 days is Alaska in August with my wife and two daughters aged 17 & 21 at the time. Flew into Anchorage and rented a car. Drove to Seward where we did the longest Fjord boat tour which wad around 7 hours. Next day went into Whittier and did a jet ski glacier tour. Back to Anchorage and hopped the train to Denali. Tour bus from Denali Village into the park...saw lots of caribou, a couple brown bear, and a huge bull moose. Then back to Anchorage. Highlight for all us was the jet ski glacier tour in Whittier. Running through the ice fields and getting so close to the glaciers was unreal.

Next trip will be just my wife and I and we will be concentrating more on fishing.

Comment

Whittier-isms:

P.O.W. - Prisoner of Whittier
            It’s always ****tier in Whittier

Great little community!

Comment

Went about 20 years ago and had a blast. We drove from anchorage to Homer and saw a lot of awesome stuff, then spent a couple of days halibut fishing and a couple of days salmon fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
                How many days are y'all looking at being there? Our trip is in May, taking the whole crew (wife and 4 kids) and I can't wait. We are going for 11 days. Flying into Anchorage and have a beautiful cabin rented near Seward. So far we've lined up Halibut fishing, salmon fishing out of Soldotna, rafting, a sightseeing cruise of the glaciers and orcas, and some gold panning. We'd like to take the ferry over to Valdez to see the Salmon fish hatchery but not sure we're gonna have the time.
                Blackout,
                Did you use a travel agent to plan your trip and excursions or put your trip together through your own planning and research? I'm also looking at going and have some notes going to start planning.

Has anyone done any of the Alaska cruises? if so, was it worth it, pros and cons compared to flying into Alaska doing the ground movement and travel?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                  We did 7 days is Alaska in August with my wife and two daughters aged 17 & 21 at the time. Flew into Anchorage and rented a car. Drove to Seward where we did the longest Fjord boat tour which wad around 7 hours. Next day went into Whittier and did a jet ski glacier tour. Back to Anchorage and hopped the train to Denali. Tour bus from Denali Village into the park...saw lots of caribou, a couple brown bear, and a huge bull moose. Then back to Anchorage. Highlight for all us was the jet ski glacier tour in Whittier. Running through the ice fields and getting so close to the glaciers was unreal.

Next trip will be just my wife and I and we will be concentrating more on fishing.
                  The jet ski glacier tour sounds SO cool!

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post

We are going in June and riding the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks then renting a car and driving back. Will stay two night in Denali and two nights in Talkeetna then back to Anchorage. Then we will drive out to Whittier and do a glashier boat tour.
                    We made that train trip last October. It was the highlight of our trip!

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

The jet ski glacier tour sounds SO cool!
                      Here are just a few from the excursion.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post

Here are just a few from the excursion.
                        Bucket list for my Wife and I...looks like a great time!

Comment

Thank you everyone for the pointers! We were planning about a week but it looks like we may need more time. A week might have to work though.

Comment

Originally posted by wonkdog View Post

Blackout,
                            Did you use a travel agent to plan your trip and excursions or put your trip together through your own planning and research? I'm also looking at going and have some notes going to start planning.

Has anyone done any of the Alaska cruises? if so, was it worth it, pros and cons compared to flying into Alaska doing the ground movement and travel?
                            My wife is our travel agent. It's a lot of work and I'm grateful she does it for us.

Comment

Well we just got finished planning all but return flight home. Fly into Anchorage and rented a 4x4 with a tent topper for a week- Turn it in and take a train to Seward and climb on a cruise to Vancouver for a week- get on shuttle and hook up with cousin and fish for halibut/salmon and go crabbing for about a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X