Alaskan vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaskan vacation

Me and the wife are looking into booking a trip to Alaska. No idea where to start. We want to visit a fishing town and maybe sight see. Anyone else do something similar? Where is the best place to start looking?

So many options! Soldotna is a great fishing area, rent a car and drive south out of Anchorage, take the train up to Denali or all the way to Fairbanks, it is a great trip! Whatever you do you will love it!!!

Comment

Wife and I are booking trip now. fly into Anchorage and rent adventure SUV. Hike yhe Kenai for a 6 days. Turn SUV in and get on train and get on cruise ship that night. do 7 nights and end up in Vanvouver. so far that is all we have got booked

Comment

Fly into Anchorage and rent an Rv from ABC rentals…drive to all the places from Homer to Denali

camping is available, just a little research needed

Comment

We did an 9 day trip last summer. Anchorage to Denali, to Gulkana, to Valdez, to Glenallen, to Anchorage, to Whittier, to Seward, to Sterling/Soldotna, to Homer, then back to Anchorage.

Highlights where bus ride in Denali, driving to Valdez, stay in Whittier and fishing the Gulf of Alaska, cabin stay in Sterling, fly out fishing from Soldotna, and ‘back pack’ fishing anywhere along the way possible.

Text me if interested in details and we can chat on the phone. Too much to write.

Comment

I live in AK for the last 11+ years. As has been mentioned, the best way to see it is rent an RV in Anchorage. There are several places plus Turo. If you like fishing you can do a charter out of Seward, Homer or Whitier. There are campgrounds in most of the towns that you can reserve online.

Comment

If fishing streams, pay close attention to timing. A week or two can make huge difference in whether fish or there or not..

Comment

I agree with Hugh. We went a couple of years ago. Did the Seward, Homer, Whittier and Denali. What a trip. Don’t miss the tunnel to Whittier.

Comment

Do not be afraid to rent an RV. Roads in Alaska are better than here.

But you can also just book BnBs and do a road trip. That's what we did. Drove 1,300 miles in 8 days. Was awesome.

Be specific on what you and your wife like to do (fish, hike, camp, relax, etc.) and people can help a lot more. Look for threads here on TBH Search my name and Alaska to see our road trip for ideas.

Comment

We spent a little over 30 days up there last summer.

I recommend flying into Anchorage and heading to the Kenai Peninsula.

Depending on how long you can stay, focus on Seward and Homer.

Add Soldatna and Whittier if you have the time.

Comment

Question for you guys that live there or spent a lot of time. If I rent a Jeep with camper top and we are just hiking can I just park/camp at the trailheads so I can get early starts on hike. Looking at Kenai mostly

Comment

Originally posted by SHSU18 View Post
                        Me and the wife are looking into booking a trip to Alaska. No idea where to start. We want to visit a fishing town and maybe sight see. Anyone else do something similar? Where is the best place to start looking?
                        We are going in June and riding the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks then renting a car and driving back. Will stay two night in Denali and two nights in Talkeetna then back to Anchorage. Then we will drive out to Whittier and do a glashier boat tour.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          Question for you guys that live there or spent a lot of time. If I rent a Jeep with camper top and we are just hiking can I just park/camp at the trailheads so I can get early starts on hike. Looking at Kenai mostly
                          Most trailheads do not allow overnight parking, but are generally close to campgrounds. Here in the Mat Su Valley (Palmer), there is a campground called Mat River Park that is within 10 minutes of Lazy Mountain, Matanuska Peak, West Butte, Crevasse Moriane and Pioneer Peak Trails. About 15 minutes away is Government Peak Recreation Area and Hatcher Pass. This is a link to the trails systems around Palmer https://matsugov.us/trails

Comment

How many days are y'all looking at being there? Our trip is in May, taking the whole crew (wife and 4 kids) and I can't wait. We are going for 11 days. Flying into Anchorage and have a beautiful cabin rented near Seward. So far we've lined up Halibut fishing, salmon fishing out of Soldotna, rafting, a sightseeing cruise of the glaciers and orcas, and some gold panning. We'd like to take the ferry over to Valdez to see the Salmon fish hatchery but not sure we're gonna have the time.

Comment

I live on the Kenai Peninsula and can probably answer about any question you have if you’re planning on spending time here.

Comment

Working...
                              X