Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Oklahoma Hunters, how was your season??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a new place last year and was pleased with the overall buck numbers. I had two mature bucks that were pretty regular throughout the season. There were 2-3 other mature deer that cruised through for a few days in Mid-November, but they were very sporadic after that. I shot one doe and a wide 8 point that tempted me too many times!

I spent alot of time working on my barndo, so I didn't hunt much after I shot my buck, but cameras showed good activity throughout the season. My boy saw and passed on quite a few.
    2024 should be a good year!

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
      For any of you new to oklahoma, spandex and permethrin are your friend. I have heard the ticks are already getting bad. 2022 they were horrible, you couldn't spray down enough but last yr wasn't quite as bad but still worse than anywhere else I have hunted. From april-august i dont go into the woods without spandex/underarmor top to bottom and spray with deep woods off or straight permethrin. Just a PSA
      WOW.. The ticks must be really bad.

Comment

What county? Curious what areas everyone is hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by PondPopper View Post

WOW.. The ticks must be really bad.
          Summer 2022 was as bad as I have ever seen, anywhere. Made you almost not want to go out. The deers ears were caked thick on the back side. Last yr wasn't as bad but they were still there. The weather has alot to do with it I'm sure.

Comment

I hunt in Woods County. Really odd past couple of years as numbers have been down in my area but my buddy who hunts a few miles away, has had much more activity. I had two 150ish deer on camera that I never saw in person and they both only showed at night. I can always kill a deer or two but my standards have went up the last few years and I have not shot a buck in 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
              I hunt in Woods County. Really odd past couple of years as numbers have been down in my area but my buddy who hunts a few miles away, has had much more activity. I had two 150ish deer on camera that I never saw in person and they both only showed at night. I can always kill a deer or two but my standards have went up the last few years and I have not shot a buck in 2 years.
              I completely understand that. The good thing is that in our two yrs on this place our top bucks from 2022 returned in 2023 so don't think our area is over hunted. We added several really good deer and I hope they all made it thru the season again. Could be really good next yr if we make the same jump again. These deer just don't like to stay in one place too long except for a few home bodies and they are pretty smart as well. The main thing I have learned is that you don't get many opportunities to see them in person so if you do see them you better take advantage because it may be your only chance for the yr.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post

Summer 2022 was as bad as I have ever seen, anywhere. Made you almost not want to go out. The deers ears were caked thick on the back side. Last yr wasn't as bad but they were still there. The weather has alot to do with it I'm sure.
                Man I’ve seen pics of out of state deer with their ears and eyes covered solid with ticks. Always seemed to be northern deer. It’s freaky nasty looking.
                In 40 years of taxidermy and 50 years of hunting, and skinning and caping literally 1,000’s of Texas deer, I’ve never seen that on a single one.

Comment

On our place in Coal County it was the worst season we've had as far as numbers but I did kill my biggest buck ever sooooooo there's that.
                  I think what hurt us was the acorn crop ( they were everywhere) and the pigs took up residence. I couldn't buy a shootable doe. ( all of these first world problems )
                  Even with all that I LOVE hunting OK.

Comment

Originally posted by PondPopper View Post

Man I’ve seen pics of out of state deer with their ears and eyes covered solid with ticks. Always seemed to be northern deer. It’s freaky nasty looking.
                    In 40 years of taxidermy and 50 years of hunting, and skinning and caping literally 1,000’s of Texas deer, I’ve never seen that on a single one.
                    By deer season they are all gone. It at its peak late spring early summer prob 4-5 months. Once it gets really hot and dry in late summer like Aug they usually disappear also then once it gets cold they are gone and no worse than tx deer.

Comment

Working...
                    X