Oklahoma Hunters, how was your season??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oklahoma Hunters, how was your season??

If you hunt in Oklahoma I’d like to hear how your season was in 2023. Did you kill anything? Even if you didn’t how was your herd and were you seeing shooters regularly?

we are in Seminole co and I would say our deer numbers overall were up. Our over all buck sightings in camera were up but despite our bigger better food plots and some new stand setups we didn’t seem to hold a lot of our visiting bucks. We had several good bucks that showed up 1-2 days during the rut and never showed again. We shot a few doe and should have shot a few more but the opportunity just didn’t present itself enough later in the season. I hope we see several of the good bucks we saw this season. Here’s to a better 2024 for all!

We had "better" bucks over the last couple of years, but only managed to kill one of them. There are 4 of us hunting 1100 acres in SW Atoka County. The owner put the ranch up for sale, so we're actively looking for a new place.

Comment

I hunted a new to me place in SW Haskell county last year. It a small place, 80 acres & the oldest buck I had was a big 6 pt. Huge bodied deer. Not sure if he was always a 6 or just starting to go downhill. I should of hunted him harder the first half of October. He was fairly regular but fell off the radar around the 3rd week of October. I let 2-3 medium age 120-130 deer walk. Click image for larger version

Name:	Warhorse-2.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	917.9 KB
ID:	26749909

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
        We had "better" bucks over the last couple of years, but only managed to kill one of them. There are 4 of us hunting 1100 acres in SW Atoka County. The owner put the ranch up for sale, so we're actively looking for a new place.
        That sucks but depending on his asking price the market is tougher than it was couple yrs ago so hopefully yall get to hunt another season or two.

Comment

hunted public last year. drought had shifted deer to different areas and food sources so had to change strategies. my cousin and i both were able to take quality bucks and a doe. overall deer sightings were down

Comment

I had a noticeable drop in shooters on camera this season, despite them being on my neighbors cameras regularly. I haven’t been replacing my food plots which is likely a contributing factor and really need to get a burn done. I’m going to put in more effort this season but it will be tough with a little one on the way.

Comment

My issue this season was time to hunt!

Comment

I just secured a lease in Major county and I’m really looking forward to getting it set up and ready to hunt this coming season.

Comment

Was tough for us !

Comment

short answer = worst of 6 seasons

Comment

2023 season is in the rear view mirror😬 We killed 6 does and let a lot of bucks walk. Can’t wait for 2024 season!

Comment

I hunt SE Oklahoma. Deer numbers were down compared to the season before. But still had several good bucks around. Got one nice 8 point that scored 127".

Comment

Seems pretty consistent across the board. I had one opportunity at one of our hit list bucks but as I prepared for the shot my chair made a noise that spooked a doe, she took everyone with her. We are going to make a few more adjustments this yr as I learned a few things again this yr. Our biggest issue is still holding mature bucks that show during the rut and keeping them around longer. I really think we have some of the best habitat and groceries in our area yet they swing thru chasing a lady or two and within a week or so they are never seen again. Hoping that pattern changes. I like many didn't get to hunt as much as I would have liked but college sports are done after this yr so I plan on hitting it hard next yr especially in november.

Comment

We had our first year in Hughes County and it was tough, had 2 mature bucks thats wouldnt break 120 on cam every once in a while, a few young bucks, and a handful of doe. The guy that hunted it the year before, a TBH'er, sent some pics of multiple nice, mature bucks that we never saw.

Over the last week I've had a group of 4 young bucks, 3 still hard horned, move in so that's good.

We didn't have a lot of time to improve the place so I'm hoping some good work this summer will help with next season.

Comment

For any of you new to oklahoma, spandex and permethrin are your friend. I have heard the ticks are already getting bad. 2022 they were horrible, you couldn't spray down enough but last yr wasn't quite as bad but still worse than anywhere else I have hunted. From april-august i dont go into the woods without spandex/underarmor top to bottom and spray with deep woods off or straight permethrin. Just a PSA

Comment

Working...
                              X