Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post

Bruh.... when God needs a loan he calls the Reeves clan

As far as going alone, I've probably spent more time alone down there than not. Only real issue I've had is pulling the trigger solo. Now that's not fun. I kinda enjoy it, but honestly down there you're never alone. Always somebody watching somewhere.
    lol. If I had your money, I would throw mine in the garbage.

Alone is not bad, as Mexico said, someone is always watching. I agree pulling the trigger when you are alone is always hard.

Comment

Way back in the day I was in Sabinas Hidalgo area with my dog. Everyone had left even the cowboy took his wife. I climbed into a tripod and the buck I had been told about showed up in low brush right in front of me. I had this deer frozen, standing sideways at 60 or 70 yards and I had my 270. I just couldn’t make myself shoot……until the deer turned to run. I fired as it ran away. No problem I will get Trumpet (dog) . I told Trumpet I had killed a deer, he lost his mind with excitement. I turned him loose and told him “find it!” He circled several times as fast as he could, after awhile he stopped and looked at me “you missed! Nothing here!” Early 90’s. Its definitely not the same for me by myself. That year I was hunting with a Mexico lease broker (quail hunter), an arrowhead hunter, and his secretary. It was the secretary that had watched that buck from the tripod nobody would hunt.

Comment

1 1/2" on El Gato last night.Thats a rain every 2 weeks since April 19th. Best wither spring in 10 years.

Comment

We got 1.25” near Villa Union super early this morning.

Comment

We got .6 a couple of days ago and last night 1.5. 2 plus inches! Gonna be a beautiful summer!

Comment

Thank you lord
              Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Facetune_11-05-2024-15-50-31.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	26798367 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7078.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	483.9 KB
ID:	26798366 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6850.png
Views:	254
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	26798369 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6854.png
Views:	248
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	26798368 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6851.png
Views:	247
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	26798365 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6849.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	26798362 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6860.png
Views:	248
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	26798364 I totally forgot to offer our last batch of caps here (unfortunately we sold out all 50 in a day ) next time I will offer up here to anyone interested before posting on my socials. Also if you’re a contestant that won a jacket they’ll be mailed out in August if we can’t get everyone’s schedules aligned to have a banquet! Thanks again for all the support guys
                Attached Files

Comment

Keep us posted on the lids amigo!

Comment

This might be kind of a long winded question but hang with me because I do appreciate this thread and the knowledge that is shared amongst this group. This upcoming season will be my first year hunting in Mexico, the ranch we leased is 2871 acres for 3 hunters. The ranch is located 6.5 miles SE of Villa Union. The blinds and corn feeders were in place at time of leasing. Improvements we have done as a group to the ranch since end of February include new feed pens size of each pen is 60'x60' we have also added a protein feeder and cottonseed feeder in each pen, we have 4 separate feed pens. In addition to those feed pens we added 2 corn feeders in separate cactus flats that we intend to use for bowhunting. Water on the ranch is one pond in one pasture and we just dug out another pond in the other pasture, both are supplied via a windmill and hold water year round, we have also added 4 separate water troughs that the cowboy tries to keep somewhat full. There are dry creek beds that had water in them after the early May rains. So finally to my question, if y'all were to make a pie chart or give percentages to some of the more tried and trued methods of harvesting a mature deer in Mexico how would they be ranked? We will be hunting out there pre rut, rut and post rut if that helps the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Radman View Post
                      This might be kind of a long winded question but hang with me because I do appreciate this thread and the knowledge that is shared amongst this group. This upcoming season will be my first year hunting in Mexico, the ranch we leased is 2871 acres for 3 hunters. The ranch is located 6.5 miles SE of Villa Union. The blinds and corn feeders were in place at time of leasing. Improvements we have done as a group to the ranch since end of February include new feed pens size of each pen is 60'x60' we have also added a protein feeder and cottonseed feeder in each pen, we have 4 separate feed pens. In addition to those feed pens we added 2 corn feeders in separate cactus flats that we intend to use for bowhunting. Water on the ranch is one pond in one pasture and we just dug out another pond in the other pasture, both are supplied via a windmill and hold water year round, we have also added 4 separate water troughs that the cowboy tries to keep somewhat full. There are dry creek beds that had water in them after the early May rains. So finally to my question, if y'all were to make a pie chart or give percentages to some of the more tried and trued methods of harvesting a mature deer in Mexico how would they be ranked? We will be hunting out there pre rut, rut and post rut if that helps the discussion.
                      You can kill one with danm near any method. They pattern pretty easily early then move around in December and there’s always new deer that show up in January. Put your cameras out but know that many many deer will not go in a feed pen. If you base your buck herd on feed pen pics, you’re likely missing half of them or more.

As to your comment about mature deer, the answer is to let them become mature deer. These deer make jumps and regress based on nutrition and water. Sounds like y’all have done the leg work and the place is big enough to hold deer, so now y’all have to come to an agreement to let 165” 5/6 year olds walk. That’s not easy to do much less get 3 men to do. There’s always that “return on investment” guy. Those heavy horned 7/8, even 9 year olds are what the dreams of Mexico are made of, but they don’t get that old being dumb and that’s when your persistence and hunting abilities come into play. There’s just not much better feeling than chasing a ghost and finally catching him slip in the rut or catch him post-rut finally coming to feed in a place you’ve never seen him.

Lots of guys here have been doing it below the ditch longer than I have, and they all may give different advice on how to hunt them, but we’ll all agree that there’s something in that dust & sunsets that gets in your soul and keeps calling you back for more.

Bienvenidos, buena suerte, y viva Mexico!

Comment

Don’t out think it… where there’s feed there will be deer, water water water water for long term investments. Rifle will always be the most successful weapon. When the rut hits deer will abandon feed and that’s when you need
                        to get out the blind and on the roads.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                          Don’t out think it… where there’s feed there will be deer, water water water water for long term investments. Rifle will always be the most successful weapon. When the rut hits deer will abandon feed and that’s when you need
                          to get out the blind and on the roads.
                          What are some of the ways you distribute water throughout your ranch? Like I said we have a **** good cowboy who does his best to manually fill the 4 troughs we set up with a water trailer but that’s hard work for my dude.

Comment

What are some of the ways you distribute water throughout your ranch? Like I said we have a **** good cowboy who does his best to manually fill the 4 troughs we set up with a water trailer but that’s hard work for my dude.
                            our ranch uses solar panel wells that are about 80-100’ deep I believe with black poly pipe ran to a small pond near it . We have several across our ranch. More water you have, better off you are… you can put feed anywhere, water is a diff story

Comment

We have large pilas around the ranch that are filled by windmill or solar pumps, then fed to smaller troughs around the ranch. It’s not a cheap investment but crucial

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7522.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	26801583

heavy rain as we speak God is good

Comment

Working...
                                X