No announcement yet.

Question for those with a Masters Degree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yessir. Thus the reason for the initial question. Is it unethical to leave a positive out. What we’re seeing is folks are opting to hire new grads over 20 years experience. Might simply be an age thing as well.

Comment

New grads are usually cheaper as well. That may influence the hiring decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post

I’ve gotten the two confused. I thought a persons CV was their resume. My bad.
        If I’m not mistaken, a curriculum vitae (sic?) is a detailed list of a person’s skills and abilities, accomplishments, honors, awards, etc. It is similar to a resume, but where a resume tends to reflect a timeline of your work history (along with a brief description of associated duties and responsibilities), a CV is more detailed (some might say pedantic). I typically see it in academia.

Apologies for the redundancy. 30-30 is spot on.
        Last edited by ThisLadyHunts; 02-06-2024, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

If I’m not mistaken, a curriculum vitae (sic?) is a detailed list of a person’s skills and abilities, accomplishments, honors, awards, etc. It is similar to a resume, but where a resume tends to reflect a timeline of your work history (along with a brief description of associated duties and responsibilities), a CV is more detailed (some might say pedantic). I typically see it in academia.

Apologies for the redundancy. 30-30 is spot on.
          All is good. I always enjoy your input.

Comment

Originally posted by sv2100 View Post
            New grads are usually cheaper as well. That may influence the hiring decisions.
            Yessir that’s what’s happening. Cheaper to pay a bachelor’s degree than a masters

Comment

Don't most job applications ask for highest education level? If you leave Masters degree out, aren't you lying on your application? If you chose to leave it out of your resume, they may see that as a negative.

Comment

I have been super disappointed over this for a while now. My oldest son has a Masters Degree and has been struggling to get a job. So much so that he has gone back to school to get a process technology degree. While taking these new classes, he needed a part time job, but no one would hire him because he was "over qualified." He actually had several places tell him that he was overqualified and that he was going to be a short term employee. Now my question is who takes a part time job to become a LONG term employee. He finally got a night stocker job at HEB and works 3-4 nights per week. I never knew that a Masters degree could be a detriment, but I now see we should have left that off of several of his applications. I have always been a company man, but I have seem in recent years that loyalty is a one way street. They will replace you in minutes and forget you ever worked there. It is now my opinion that you should do what you need to do to get the job, and never stop looking for the next one.

Comment

There are plenty of trade openings and I don't think they really care how much education you have. The trades are paying pretty well now

Comment

As others have pointed out, the CV is more for the academic crowd.

I would think omitting the masters would be deemed as deceptive. If I were hiring new staff and discovered education was withheld, my trust in that individual would be tainted.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                      As others have pointed out, the CV is more for the academic crowd.

I would think omitting the masters would be deemed as deceptive. If I were hiring new staff and discovered education was withheld, my trust in that individual would be tainted.
                      Not me.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                        Don't most job applications ask for highest education level? If you leave Masters degree out, aren't you lying on your application? If you chose to leave it out of your resume, they may see that as a negative.
                        That’s a great point

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
                          I have been super disappointed over this for a while now. My oldest son has a Masters Degree and has been struggling to get a job. So much so that he has gone back to school to get a process technology degree. While taking these new classes, he needed a part time job, but no one would hire him because he was "over qualified." He actually had several places tell him that he was overqualified and that he was going to be a short term employee. Now my question is who takes a part time job to become a LONG term employee. He finally got a night stocker job at HEB and works 3-4 nights per week. I never knew that a Masters degree could be a detriment, but I now see we should have left that off of several of his applications. I have always been a company man, but I have seem in recent years that loyalty is a one way street. They will replace you in minutes and forget you ever worked there. It is now my opinion that you should do what you need to do to get the job, and never stop looking for the next one.
                          Boom! Ebonically speaking “real talk”. She was told by employees that they “ dont want to pay you a masters salary”.
                          When she went back to an old employer after we left Colorado. They immediately bumped her up 25k. Unfortunately they don’t do business where I want to live. Out of the human cesspool known as Houston.
                          BTW Smith, with a masters HEB may not be a bad place to land.
                          Last edited by Hogmauler; 02-06-2024, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I was in this situation when I first started the work force and faced the same dilemma. No, I don't see it as unethical. You are not mis representing yourself. The unethical part to me is people claiming to be or know something they don't. In this case you are not misrepresenting yourself. I too have a Masters and have left it off my resume more times than I can count. When I first graduated college I decided to just keep trucking along and get my Master's as well. I did that. I went to the job market with a ton of education and not much experience. I applied to all sorts of entry level jobs. Never got taken seriously. My resume was automatically put into the pile with other MBAs. Against other MBAs I had zero experience so never had a chance. All I wanted was an opportunity to get in somewhere, prove myself and gain experience. Applying for entry level with an MBA meant I wasn't taken seriously and they all thought I'd be gone as soon as I found something better. It really was a problem trying to get a job. So, I left it off so that I could get an honest shot at a job at my experience level.

Comment

Working...
                            X