Question for those with a Masters Degree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those with a Masters Degree

Is is ethical to leave your masters out of your CV if it’s preventing you from getting an offer at your desired place of employment? Can you be terminated from a position omitting something positive?

Education is nothing to be ashamed of, but if you feel it's hindering a job search then leave it off. If they ask about it during an interview, don't lie about it, be truthful about why it's not on your resume.

Comment

No we wouldn’t lie about it or anything else for that matter. But is it unethical to leave it out if you believe it’s affecting a job offer.

Comment

I would say no, politicians add stuff to theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
          I would say no, politicians add stuff to theirs.
          lol! So true!

Comment

Your CV is your business card, so no. You can leave it out

Where you could run into issues is if they make you fill out their job application.

Honestly, once a the hiring manager made their decision on you're the guy, I wouldn't worry about listing your higher education on the job app.

Comment

I would even go so far as to say your resume should be tailored for the job you are seeking.

For example, I have experience working at a miniature golf course; I was even the youngest club champion….

but it’s not on my resume nor does it appear on my CV.

relevance is the key.

Comment

Curious on the circumstances that it would hinder it?

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post

Some hiring managers may see over qualification as a risk since the person isn't likely to stay long term.

Comment

Why pay someone a masters salary when they can get a bachelor’s to do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                      Your CV is your business card, so no. You can leave it out

Where you could run into issues is if they make you fill out their job application.

Honestly, once a the hiring manager made their decision on you're the guy, I wouldn't worry about listing your higher education on the job app.
                      I’ve gotten the two confused. I thought a persons CV was their resume. My bad.

Comment

Some managers may not like having someone working for them that are more qualified for a managerial job, than they are.

Those managers can get a little worried about job security.

J

Comment

I see nothing wrong with customizing a resume for the position being applied for.

I have done this on occasions. When you have 30+ years of experience, you have to slim it down and provide pertinent information.

J

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post

I’ve gotten the two confused. I thought a persons CV was their resume. My bad.
                            I think hopedale was making a comparison. A CV is similar to a resume.’ Generally, a resume’ is a one or two-pager summary of your qualifications. You can tailor it to a particular position. A CV is comprehensive, often most relevant to the academic community, and it would be atypical to leave off a masters.

Comment

Just tell the truth

Comment

Working...
                              X