School closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post
    I see both sides, but you can thank the maggots like Thomas J Henry and The Hammer that make their living destroying the life’s work of small business owners (and schools, and anyone with insurance) for 80% of the caution out there.
    True'er words have never been spoken.

Comment

I remember as a kid when it would snow. My mother worked for a nursing home then. My dad would take her to work then spend all day taking others to work that didn’t feel they could get there BUT WANTED TO WORK. then stay out all night taking them all back home. Now we shut the world down for high humidity and pollen alert days

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
        I was one of those Dads that always said why the heck are the kids not going to school. One day they didn't call school off and my wife slid on ice and hit an eighteen wheeler. Three weeks later our 5 year old daughter came home from the hospital in a full body cast. She broke her femur. I never said anything else about school being cancelled because of weather. Just a view from the other side.
        I allways figured it was a great day to spend time w my kids! Glad your family was ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          I remember as a kid when it would snow. My mother worked for a nursing home then. My dad would take her to work then spend all day taking others to work that didn’t feel they could get there BUT WANTED TO WORK. then stay out all night taking them all back home. Now we shut the world down for high humidity and pollen alert days

my mom is in a nursing home now and I am very fortunate they treat her and all of the other residents like gold it is an amazing facility....I spend a lot of time there with my mom because I am fortunate to be able to, but the conditions where I am right now make it pretty much a "no way" I could get there in a 1/2 ton long bed 2wd truck.....I almost feel guilty that all of the (mostly young ladies) are having to get there or stay at the facility for a day or more

so thanks to your mom and anyone else out there that works in a nursing facility or health care and gets in to work it is very appreciated

Comment

Our schools are closed tomorrow, but I totally support their decision. We got freezing rain this morning, then got about 1/2” of sleet on top of it. And it’s going to be 15 degrees tonight. Even the roads that TXDOT and the city treated have frozen again. That being said, I do agree the nation is getting too soft…

Comment

Just drove into Houston from Tomball. All bridges are sheets of ice.

I still think kids need to be in school. Everyone can manage, just take it easy, and you will get there. Busses too.
              ​​​

Comment

Here in the Rio Grande Valley we are in the mid to
                high 20’s and school has been canceled.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeone View Post

my mom is in a nursing home now and I am very fortunate they treat her and all of the other residents like gold it is an amazing facility....I spend a lot of time there with my mom because I am fortunate to be able to, but the conditions where I am right now make it pretty much a "no way" I could get there in a 1/2 ton long bed 2wd truck.....I almost feel guilty that all of the (mostly young ladies) are having to get there or stay at the facility for a day or more

so thanks to your mom and anyone else out there that works in a nursing facility or health care and gets in to work it is very appreciated
                  Yes sir for the most part the people that work in the nursing homes are angels on earth from my experience when my mother spent her last days in the assisted living then 24 hour care facility.

Comment

Coppell ISD is operating as normal today. Crazy that Carrollton/Farmers Branch ISD is closed. Right next door. Same weather, same road conditions. I think Dale may be right. ERCOT can't handle it.

Comment

We usually have a 2 hr delay when wind chill gets -10 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        I took my bride to town today, the state highway was iffy at best even with four wheel drive. When you have to brake, four wheel drive doesn’t matter much. I saw several cars stranded because they couldn’t get traction going uphill. Our school is closed tomorrow too, I think it’s for the best considering the talents of our bus drivers.
                        I’m with you when it comes to icy roads. As I like to say, four wheels will ski on ice just like two wheels will.
                        Last edited by ThisLadyHunts; 01-17-2024, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I dealt with weather cancellation decisions in schools for many years. When it comes to weather well below freezing the roads and bridges can be in very good shape and in just a short time can ice over with any precipitation at all. It isn't so much the condition the road is in right now as what condition it could be in. IMO it is better to err on the side of caution and make the call early allowing families to make necessary plans than it is to wait and see and end up having to call school off at the very last minute early in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                          X