Trout Limit Proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
    Gaw dang don’t they know tens of tens of families will starve due to this drastic change
    nobody's claiming they're starving, but if we want to fry some trout for the family it would sure be nice to be able to not have to take the boat out multiple times, especially considering it's an insanely abundant fish. As hard as it is to believe, for most of us the most important aspect of managing the fishery ISN'T to increase the opportunity to post heavily filtered pictures of big trout caught wade fishing at sunrise on insta and facebook.
    Last edited by bullets13; 03-27-2024, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Son - so stoked to go fishing with you dad! Hope we catch a big one!
      dad - ah na na son we need to catch our 3 smallies so we can get our fish fry on! You don’t want others thinking we support a trophy trout fishery do you?
      son - na I guess you’re right dad let’s go get our fish stix so I can go play Fortnite anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
        Son - so stoked to go fishing with you dad! Hope we catch a big one!
        dad - ah na na son we need to catch our 3 smallies so we can get our fish fry on! You don’t want others thinking we support a trophy trout fishery do you?
        son - na I guess you’re right dad let’s go get our fish stix so I can go play Fortnite anyways.
        Son- Dad, can we cook some trout tonight?
        Dad- No, son, if we throw these fish back today then many years from now we can catch them again and put them on instagram!
        Son- Okay, dad. I really like our matching Huk shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post

Dad- No, son, if we throw these fish back today then many years from now we can catch them again and put them on instagram!
          Thank you. You said it perfectly.

Comment

Love it!!

Comment

Just put your fillets in a potato chip bag on the dash of your boat, put a clothes pin on it
              good to go

Comment

Is there not any other fish to eat in the salt other than trout?!

I'm on the fence with the limit change honestly. I would be completely for it if I thought they would go back to 5 once the numbers got back to where they need to be to support the pressure they get. I know not all parts of the coast were hit the same way with the freeze and for the most part the texas coast is just fine numbers wise. From the upper Laguna south was hit pretty **** hard and needed a chance to come back to what it was. North of there not so much so it sucks to be on a part of the coast where the numbers are just fine and still have to suffer with the reduced limits.

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                  I am for whatever changes need to be made to keep the trout population healthy.

However every time I am at the goose island ramp, and see the guides coolers absolutely full of fish - I think that the fishing limits done under a charter license should be something like 1/2 of what it is for the recreational guys. This is not a knock on guides - I fish with guides occasionally - but most of those fishing groups are taking 20+ fish out of the bay every day, and I think that hurts the resource way more than your average rec guy who struggles to catch 3 keeper trout on any given day.

The majority of em are running multiple trips in the summer time. I've seen multiple boats bring in 120 trout a day back when the limits where 10 per person. Guides running 3 trips a day when the fishing was good.

Comment

The biggest threat to the our outdoor recreational activities, and that way of life, is folks constantly yapping on hunting and fishing forums and social media.

Comment

Lmao

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                        Is there not any other fish to eat in the salt other than trout?!

I'm on the fence with the limit change honestly. I would be completely for it if I thought they would go back to 5 once the numbers got back to where they need to be to support the pressure they get. I know not all parts of the coast were hit the same way with the freeze and for the most part the texas coast is just fine numbers wise. From the upper Laguna south was hit pretty **** hard and needed a chance to come back to what it was. North of there not so much so it sucks to be on a part of the coast where the numbers are just fine and still have to suffer with the reduced limits.
                        Which is why it’s obvious that this isn’t the reason they’re changing the limits. We had different limits for a couple of years, and they needed the change down there. All we needed up north was a couple of dry years, which we got.

Comment

Guess I’ll go out tonight and see if I can kill some endangered flounder while I can before that becomes an issue too

Comment

Working...
                          X