Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trout Limit Proposal

Well this suxz, but most knew it was coming
    I tried the online comment but it wasn’t open yet.

TPWD Seeks Input on Proposed Changes to Spotted Seatrout Bag, Size Limits

Dec. 15, 2023

Media Contact: TPWD News, Business Hours, 512-389-8030

News Image Share on Facebook Share Release URL

AUSTIN- The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) is seeks public input on proposed rules which, if passed, would change bag and size limits for spotted seatrout on the Texas coast. The proposed rules would reduce the spotted seatrout bag limit to three fish and restrict the allowable size to 15-20 inches, with one fish over 25 inches allowed daily.

The rule responds to public scoping and survey efforts by the department which found that many anglers wanted to see more restrictive measures to improve the fishery.

TPWD encourages the public to provide comment on the proposed regulation changes at one of several public hearings hosted on the coast, virtually or over the phone. The proposals will then be considered for final action by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission during the January 2024 Commission Meeting.

Opportunities to provide comments for or against these proposals include:

Public hearings- TPWD Coastal Fisheries staff will host several public hearings on the coast to receive input from anglers and constituents concerning the proposed regulation changes
    • Jan. 9, 6-8 p.m. at the Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi Natural Resources Building, 6300 Ocean Dr., Corpus Christi.
    • Jan. 9, 6-8 p.m. at the Greater Chamber of Harlingen, 311 E. Tyler Ave., Harlingen.
    • Jan. 9, 6-8 p.m. at the Bauer Exhibit Building, 305 Henry Barber Way, Port Lavaca.
    • Jan. 9, 6-8 p.m. at the Saltwater Pavilion at Rockport Beach Park, 210 Seabreeze Dr., Rockport.
    • Jan. 10, 6-8 p.m. at the Bob Bowers Civic Center, 3401 Cultural Center Dr., Port Arthur.
    • Jan. 11, 6-8 p.m. at the Nessler Civic Center Captain’s Room, 2010 5th Ave N., Texas City.

Online- Provide official public comments on the changes until Jan. 23 on the TPWD public comment page.

Phone or email- The Coastal Fisheries Division at 512-389-8575 or cfish@tpwd.texas.gov.

Zoom webinar- TPWD Coastal Fisheries staff will present proposed fishing regulation changes and answer questions from 6-8 p.m., Monday, Jan. 8 in an online webinar. TPWD will also post the webinar on TPWD’s YouTube channeland Facebook page.

It is a done deal....just a step they are required to go through

Comment

I'm probably in the minority but I'm all for it.

Comment

Yep take the one over 25 off the table and you sitting pretty.

”sTuPiD tPwD I need ThOsE tRoUt To fEEd My FamiLY”

Comment

I've been out of the fishing scene for a while and WOW. I'm guessing this is a recovery effort from the freeze? Is that the driver for this? Louisiana is 13"-20" with one over 20" daily limit of 15 fish. Last time I fished LA, the limit was 25 fish per day and 12" min.

Comment

This is awesome. There will be more catch and release now more than ever with trout being released after being gut hooked and gills hanging out. Great job TP&W.

Comment

Can they print that in multiple languages and place it at the entrance of every friggin jetty.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                This is awesome. There will be more catch and release now more than ever with trout being released after being gut hooked and gills hanging out. Great job TP&W.
                What I was thinking.

And LOL @ Man. A blind man could bust all those non English speakers all day long but for some reason they never get checked.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  Can they print that in multiple languages and place it at the entrance of every friggin jetty.
                  Lmao

Comment

Personally I wish they would leave it at 5 for us recreational guys. I am not opposed to the 15-20 inch slot.

I think they should choke the guide boats down to 3 / day.

I make 3-4 trips a year and fish 2 ish days so if I limit at 5 fish I am taking under 100 fish a year. These guides running two trips a day at 4-5 head a boat are the bigger issue.

but I digress TPWD is gonna do what they are going to do

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                      Personally I wish they would leave it at 5 for us recreational guys. I am not opposed to the 15-20 inch slot.

I make 3-4 trips a year and fish 2 ish days so if I limit at 5 fish I am taking under 100 fish a year. These guides running two trips a day at 4-5 head a boat are the bigger issue.

My thoughts for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post

I tend to agree and like the idea to limit guide licenses per bay system.

But I am not opposed to being conservative on the limits.

Comment

They are going to do what they and their buddies want no matter what any public comments say.

It is my opinion that the Fairfield debacle showed they are willing to lie about public comments to further their agenda. I believe they had many more comments in opposition than they admitted in their meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            TRUTH x 1000

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhica View Post
                              I've been out of the fishing scene for a while and WOW. I'm guessing this is a recovery effort from the freeze? Is that the driver for this? Louisiana is 13"-20" with one over 20" daily limit of 15 fish. Last time I fished LA, the limit was 25 fish per day and 12" min.
                              A few years back we had several floods that pushed 90% of the fish in the galveston bay system over into a 50 acre section of East bay. Everyone with a boat was going out and hammering limits of trout for months. Guides were running 2-3 trips a day and anyone who ever wanted to be a guide was posting pics on the book of faces of all the trout that were filleted. That hurt the entire Galveston bay system filled by 2 pretty hard freezes. The fishery was already in a downward spiral before the freezes.

Comment

Working...
                              X