No announcement yet.

High speed driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very very stupid but did 155 in a Mercedes SL500 on a semi straight 2 lane farm to market. Could have went bad for us any of the many times we did it.

Comment

Yes, I was an MP for a number of years then moved on to LE. I've been thru a handful of courses as well as pursuits.

Comment

I think some of you are confusing situational awareness in a vehicle with vehicle control. While situational awareness is VERY Important, it is only one aspect of driving fast. Knowing what a vehicle will do during an emergency maneuver at high speeds is crucial to car control.

Case in point. At a Porsche Club driving event at Hallet Motor Raceway in 2003, I took an economy car to the event. A 2002 Hyundai Accent. After a mandatory stint with a driving instructor in the car with me, I was moved from the novice class where the slow economy cars and inexperienced drivers were put into the advanced class. The advanced class included vehicles like the 911, Camaro, Mustang, 300ZX, RX7, Supra, BMWs, and even a couple of Ferraris. In this run group, I should not have been able to pass anyone, but I passed several vehicles. One vehicle I passed was a BMW M Coupe. His ego did not like that so he started pushing his car and ended up passing me back. On the very next turn, he took doing the same speed I had been taking it at and he spun out in front of me. In that corner, a downhill off camber hard right which was right after the crest of a hill, the odds were very high for a wreck but it did not happen. My car was a very popular, and unpopular car that weekend.

No amount of driving high speeds in traffic will teach you how to control a vehicle sliding at 65 mph.

Comment

Raced dirt bikes from 20 to 30 yrs old. First car was a straight line ET car.
          Currently have a 525hp straight line monster and Lexus's version of a Porche 911 in the driveway.
          I usually drive the Lexus and call it my go cart...

Comment

I was very fortunate to have worked on a Highway Unit. My Unit also taught and instructed the Department and cadet classes. So I go to go train with instructors alot since I was the Sgt. I also went to a class in S Carolina and got to tear cars up.
            With that said it’s a perishable skill set. It is also different in every vehicle. I feel fortunate to have attended as much training as I did and it probably totaled $250k. It was a lot of fun tearing up cars and burning tires and brakes off cars

I remember we had a PIT class with 8 of us. I knew it was gonna be a fun class when there were 12 cars and about 60 new tires stacked on rims with a changing truck when I arrived.
            Last edited by glen; 10-03-2023, 04:47 AM.

Comment

I own a C6 Z06 that is built putting down 590whp. I have taken it on several HPDE (high performance driving events). My local track is Houston MSR. I have drove it in several different configurations. I enjoy these events so much, they are just a wear on brakes and tires. Fastest I've been is plus 180 on 4 wheels and plus 150 on 2. What i have learned from the training/events is like many things, skill outperforms performance. I have raced professional drivers in there spec Miata's in my Z06 and they will lap me within 5 laps. I have 4x the performance but they have the skill and will win any time. The events are not for the faint of heart, many people struggle with motion sickness but i have learned a lot and am a much better driver because of it. My son will also participate when he is of age.

Comment

I've been to multiple HPDE events over the years put on by different PCA groups around the state. Also, competed in many autocross events here in San Antonio. Always with different streetable cars that we've owned. As mentioned above, skill, understanding the specific vehicle's performance envelope, and situational awareness of your immediate surroundings at any given point in time (while driving) are key to surviving anything thrown at you & your vehicle.

These things saved my butt just the other day as I had someone try to turn left in front of me while traveling 50 mph in a Ford Escape. I knew the car can still handle somewhat evasive moves at that speed and the lane next to me (to the right) was clear. I missed the front of their car by inches, but never lost control. I've had to do the same thing before in my old '93 Explorer. You just have to be willing to test the vehicles abilities, and be comfortable pushing your own driving limits from time to time. Driving nowadays should not be for the meek.

All that said does not mean it will save your arse every time, but at least it gives you a fighting chance!

Comment

Of course..every day...what else you gonna do with unlimited clapped out crown vics at your disposal

Comment

Working...
                  X