High speed driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High speed driving

So Sticks&String’s thread got me to thinking, have any of you ever had any closed course high speed driving training?

In his post, he talked about driving really quickly on the highway in order to get to a hospital. At some point, just about all of us have had to drive at a high rate of speed due to a medical emergency. So, who has done high speed driving on a closed course, with an instructor, in order to know how a vehicle reacts at high speeds, thus making it safer(not safe) for you to go those higher speeds?

Im not advocating for people to break the law driving at really high speeds, I’m just curious as to how many people here know how to handle a vehicle at high speeds.

Personally, I took part in multiple NASA driving events, who knows how many high speed autocross events outside of Mineral Wells, was a BMW club driving instructor for a short period of time, and in 2004 I drove the fastest privately owned SRT4 at the SRT National meet. My reflexes are not as good as what they once were though so my days of high speed driving are pretty much over.

I've done several training courses (Emergency Vehicle Operation Course) in law enforcement. Been in multiple high speed pursuits, I think the fastest I 've been in a pursuit was 143mph. My sister was on a ride out that night and threw up when we arrested the guy. I had a Tahoe up to 137 in a pursuit once, that's a lot of kinetic energy rolling down the street.

Comment

My only experience was at Texas Motor Speedway. I got to do 10 laps with an instructor in a car governed at 150mph. It was an absolute blast. It took a few laps to get comfortable and get the feel of it but the last few laps going wide open through those banked turns was an incredible rush. I can’t imagine doing that for 400 miles inches away from other cars. I would really like to do a Bondurant road course experience where you are shifting and picking lines through the corners

Comment

Yes, I had a Tbird Super Chicken as a young lad......

Comment

I got up to 65 today pulling my tractor………..

Comment

Yes. I use to Porsche Club Race until we started having children….the Porsches were more in the edge than the chittlens

Comment

I spent 18 years of my life driving in DFW, so yes, I am highly qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                I've done several training courses (Emergency Vehicle Operation Course) in law enforcement. Been in multiple high speed pursuits, I think the fastest I 've been in a pursuit was 143mph. My sister was on a ride out that night and threw up when we arrested the guy. I had a Tahoe up to 137 in a pursuit once, that's a lot of kinetic energy rolling down the street.
                That Tahoe must have had the 5.3. It's limited to 140. Tahoe with optional 6.2L PPV package is limited to 152 mph. That PPV engine is rated at 433 hp vs 355 for the 5.3L. My guess is that most of the DPS Tahoes will have the 6.2L engines. That's awful fast for something with the aerodynamics of a pool table.

Comment

Originally posted by BayouCat View Post
                  I spent 18 years of my life driving in DFW, so yes, I am highly qualified.
                  I been here doing the daily derby since 1963 the same year I got my driver's license. It weren't that bad when I first started out. There were only 3 highways between Dallas and FTW. HWY 183 and HWY 80 and I-30 which was a toll road between Dallas and FTW so nobody ever drove on it. People wouldn't pay the dime or 2 nickels tossed in the basket to go only 30 miles. You have to be an aggressive driver to survive the mess we have here now.

Comment

Last edited by Death from Above; 11-01-2023, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Got so many speeding tickets as a teenager that my insurance canceled my and I had to go to the assigned risk pool. Does that count.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        Got so many speeding tickets as a teenager that my insurance canceled my and I had to go to the assigned risk pool. Does that count.
                        You really were not trying hard enough

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                          Posted speed is 75 folks drive 80…thats fast.

so i have had training since i started hiway driving 30 plus years ago.
                          75 feels fast to me and my mileage drops driving from Houston to Llano the faster I go so I generally get in the right lane and drive 70-75. Plenty fast.

Comment

I have not, but it’s on my bucket list.

Comment

A couple of trips thru 2 levels of AMG driving school was a **** ton of fun, but I'm not sure it really made me a better driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X