out-of-state applications ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

out-of-state applications ...

Starting this fall/spring, I'm going to start applying for out-of-state tags on either Elk or Pronghorn, maybe both. I know virtually nothing bout it
    other than some of the better states to apply in. And there's likely past threads concerning this. I'm not that concerned with trophies either.
    Just turned 59 so I don't have many more years left of decent physical ability, a quicker draw is better for me.

-which states am I more likely to get drawn? The word is that New Mexico is very difficult, ?
    -which states have the better animal numbers?
    -which lotteries have more 'perks'? (cheaper tags, less hunters per mile, non-residents have higher percentage of picks, etc.)
    -are there any where OTC tags are pretty decent for non-residents?
    -what about Mexico?

been considering the same next year and I'm probably going to use a service like epicoutdoors.com or something similar. There's just so to try to figure out on your own it's a bit overwhelming so using a service to help would make it a lot simpler.

Comment

Good luck, non resident elk tags are getting harder and harder to draw in most states. Wytex on here can probably give you some good advice on WY.

Comment

Wyoming is 5 points just for a general but they're splitting that into 3 regions so all hell is gonna break loose. Likely Eastern region will be considerably less points and if you can find a LO to pay for access might could hunt every few years on that. Colorado you can hunt every year if you can tolerate a bit of a circus, OTC obviously but also 0 or 1 point units. My wife came close to blasting a stud bull there in a 0 point unit, he stood up 60 yards away while she was looking down quietly climbing over deadfall. I had a cow tag and stood there with my heart in my hands watching for the 4-5 seconds it took for him to haul arse. CO raised the tag fees for cows to fill price, I haven't looked into it but I'd bet you can hunt on a cow tag every year and have decent opportunities.

I don't know anything about other states. I keep saying I'll apply for NM next year, for several years, but I haven't taken the time to research the areas I'd want to hunt and don't want to apply for something based on a 10 minute Google search.

Comment

Wyoming will be hard to tell what it takes to draw next year with the new Regions for General tags for NRs.
          Special draw price is also going way up, that may help those with the money to go that route in the draw.

Buy a PP for Wyoming now.
          We do have reduced price cow tags that are a random draw, and full price cow tags. You can have a full price tag and a reduced price cow tag in Wyoming.
          Many of our licenses allow both archery and rifle hunting, but not all.
          LQ can be great but take PPs to draw, there will be a few set aside for a random draw also.

Info for Wyoming elk will be out for the January 31 draw deadline some time around Christmas or so.

Pronghorn are down right now across the state, some areas are ok but some had severe winterkill last year. Be real careful picking areas to apply for, look over numbers of tags and access. PPs are needed for better areas. Some can be drawn with 0-1 PP but have little public land to hunt. Private access is getting harder to find these days.
          The Hunt Planner on WG&F website is great for showing public lands and access and has license info and hunt area info.

Talk in Colorado is getting rid of OTC for NRs, residents are pushing for it so it may happen sooner than later.

Comment

As more and more folks keep applying, tags are becoming increasingly difficult to draw. My recommendation is to buy a Gohunt subscription and just start researching every state. It will break down how many points it will take for each species in each state.

Comment

what about the Oklahoma and Arkansas elk tags/draws, I've heard the animal numbers are decent in both. ???

Comment

Colorado has a help line you can call. They will walk you through an application and advise on easier units.to draw. NM is an easy process, down load the hunt brochure or have iT mailed to you. NMDGF.COM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                  been considering the same next year and I'm probably going to use a service like epicoutdoors.com or something similar. There's just so to try to figure out on your own it's a bit overwhelming so using a service to help would make it a lot simpler.

So are there any Texas-based services available?

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post

So are there any Texas-based services available?
                    You sure you want a Texas based company doing your western apps? Or a company like Epic thats western 365 days a year.

Not saying We as Texans arent as in-tune as say Jason Carter at Epic but we would be hard pressed to be.

I used Jason before he started epic and followed him over. Zero issues recommending his team.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                      what about the Oklahoma and Arkansas elk tags/draws, I've heard the animal numbers are decent in both. ???
                      okla is non refundable $180 NR license plus app fee to apply. Long odds but upper 90’s success rates

Comment

Also read about point creep when you're talking preference points. I've been putting in for points for over a decade in Wyoming and Arizona as a non-resident. Many western states are cutting back on non-resident tag allocations which means points just keep creeping higher and higher each year. I like the New Mexico model with no preference points but non-resident tag numbers are getting smaller and smaller. Single digit odds with most high preference units even in the outfitter pool. But like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play.

Comment

Look into Utah.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post

You sure you want a Texas based company doing your western apps? Or a company like Epic thats western 365 days a year.

Not saying We as Texans arent as in-tune as say Jason Carter at Epic but we would be hard pressed to be.

I used Jason before he started epic and followed him over. Zero issues recommending his team.

I don't see a problem with it as most Western NR hunters are from Texas and many of 'em own land there!

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
                              Look into Utah.
                              No one ever talks about Utah, what does it have to offer? I simply don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X