No announcement yet.

Float plane - helicopter collision in Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well he got back today and I heard the whole story. They were flying the Beaver float plane back to the lodge at about 800 feet. He was sitting in the back and he was the only one that saw the helicopter approaching slightly below them on the starboard side. He quickly tried to get his pilots attention but then they felt the impact and he saw the chopper spiraling away towards the ground. The plane was shaking but he said the pilot calmly went into a turn to find water to land on which they did. They are thinking at this point that the tail rotor hit them putting a big gash in a float, holes in the fuselage and debris bent their propeller. The lodge’s other plane came and got them about an hour later. The pilot was the only one aboard the helicopter - he managed to land in the brush and walk away. I would think there are very few midair collisions where everyone survives. They were obviously very shook up but went ahead and fished the rest of the week

Comment

Very lucky people.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        Well he got back today and I heard the whole story. They were flying the Beaver float plane back to the lodge at about 800 feet. He was sitting in the back and he was the only one that saw the helicopter approaching slightly below them on the starboard side. He quickly tried to get his pilots attention but then they felt the impact and he saw the chopper spiraling away towards the ground. The plane was shaking but he said the pilot calmly went into a turn to find water to land on which they did. They are thinking at this point that the tail rotor hit them putting a big gash in a float, holes in the fuselage and debris bent their propeller. The lodge’s other plane came and got them about an hour later. The pilot was the only one aboard the helicopter - he managed to land in the brush and walk away. I would think there are very few midair collisions where everyone survives. They were obviously very shook up but went ahead and fished the rest of the week
        amazing…

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          Plane came down on the helicopter or helicopter gained altitude into the plane???
          At least one of the stories that I read said that the plane only had a damage float so maybe a rotor hit the float???
          So pretty good guess…..

Comment

WOW! It's a miracle everyone walked away.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Crazy that in that vast wilderness the helicopter would fly into them. I’ve flown that plane on that exact trip and outside of Brooks Falls, you just don’t see other aircraft. Jerp, have you been to Enchanted Lake? Can’t imagine a better run operation. Eight of my best friends are up there as we speak. They must have come in when your friend left.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post

Crazy that in that vast wilderness the helicopter would fly into them. I’ve flown that plane on that exact trip and outside of Brooks Falls, you just don’t see other aircraft. Jerp, have you been to Enchanted Lake? Can’t imagine a better run operation. Eight of my best friends are up there as we speak. They must have come in when your friend left.
                I have not been but that group has been going for years and say it’s first class. They still have not figured out exactly what happened but the NTSA and an insurance investigator interviewed everybody and they hauled both aircraft off to examine them.

Comment

Working...
                X