• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news brother.

Comment

She explains it a lot better than dad.

March 18, 2024- Post Op and Path

Journal entry by Allison Sangenito — 2 hours ago
      The fact that I can sit here at my laptop and type this post is a great reminder that I am slowly healing! 1 week ago that would not have been possible, and even though I am still hurting, I will take that encouragement!

Things post op have been going well. Being back home with Mark and the girls has lifted my spirits, and they have taken such good care of me. My incisions are healing, and the drains all came out last week. (Those were not fun!) I have weird nerve pain, muscle spasms, and numbness, but I am taking those in stride, and am thankful for medications to help with them.

Last week we had post op in Houston with my surgeons, as well as a pathology review with my oncologist here in Dallas. One big praise from surgery- the plastic surgeon found 5 veins that could be used for the lymphovenous bypass! (5 is the most our surgeon had heard of being done, so this is huge!) This week, I will meet with my oncologist in Houston, as well as begin radiation prep. We won't know until then what the timeline for radiation will be...it could start as soon as next week.
      Now for pathology...I always assumed path came back 1 of 2 ways: either the cancer is gone forever, or you are dying. It turns out, it doesn't quite work that way, especially with hormone positive cancer. According to my doctors, the surgery went great (Clear margins in the breast, and all level 1&2 lymph nodes removed), and showed that chemo worked "as expected". With ER+ breast cancer, there is always a chance that chemo does not work at all. In my case, the tumor in my breast shrunk 15%, and of what was left, only 10% were live cancer cells. That means the chemo did some damage! In the lymph nodes, I had 20 nodes and 10 tested positive for cancer cells. The 1 lymph node we knew about did shrink (they do not test how much is live/dead cancer in the lymph nodes). Regardless, if cancer is in the lymph nodes, they treat it all the same.

What does this mean moving forward? We continue on course. It was explained that ER+ cancer is fought, in order of importance, by: hormone blocking/cancer inhibitor medications, surgery, radiation, and lastly by chemo. I will begin medication this week that I will be on for years to suppress and block my hormones. Radiation will begin soon. And down the road I will possibly have my ovaries/tubes removed and will have a prophylactic mastectomy on my right side.

Thank you to everyone who has prayed, encouraged us, sent meals, and helped with the girls. We feel loved and supported through this exhausting time.

Prayers:
      -Continued healing, for my nerves and muscles to calm, and for my range of motion to return quickly in my arm
      -For the Mark and the girls as they prepare for me to leave for 4.5 weeks and for my heart as a wife and mom, as I prepare to leave my people for 4.5 weeks
      -That radiation would do its job cleaning out and killing any straggling cancer cells, with the least amount of pain possible

Praises:
      -A successful surgery, successful lymphovenous bypass, and healing
      -The girls got to get away for spring break with my mom and step dad, a much needed time of rest for me and a fun week for them!
      -Wisdom from doctors, and medication/medical advancements in the treatment of cancer

Comment

Continued prayers for you Allison and your family as well. Praise to a God who heals.

Comment

April 1, 2024 Home Sweet...Houston

Journal entry by Allison Sangenito — 19 hours ago
          I made it to Houston. Whew!

The last few days have been filled with such fun and so many sweet God moments. The girls and I explored the park, we got to spend an evening with the sweetest family, and we spent Easter at the Mav's game! The girls loved helping me unpack and get settled, as well as seeing where my appointments would take place.

Speaking of which...radiation started today! Friday was the practice run. It went smooth, and was helpful in seeing how things would run. Today I had my first 2 treatments-42 to go. I will have the same team for all of my treatments, and that will give me a sense of familiarity and comfort. The radiation itself doesn't hurt as it hits my body, and it should *hopefully* be a couple of weeks until side effects begin.

Mark and the girls left a few hours ago to fly home to Dallas. There were tears, but I am SO proud of the girls and their strength. I am also beyond thankful for Mark's sacrifice to single parent for a month, and for the peace of mind in knowing that he will ROCK it.

Meals and rides are mostly covered-such a praise! Thank you isn't enough for everyone praying, encouraging, and being the literal hands and feet of Jesus. Please continue praying for the girls and Mark through this difficult month, and for the radiation to be incredibly effective with limited side effects.

-Allison

Comment

Prayers.

Comment

Continued prayers

Comment

Sending prayers

Comment

Continuing prayers.....

Comment

Wow, what a journey. Continued thoughts and prayers.

Comment

Praying for all.

Comment

Praying for y"all. God's strength and love will get you through this.

Comment

Go Allison!!!!!

Comment

Prayers Up for Everyone ...

Comment

Continued prayers up this morning

Comment

Prayers for Allison, Mark, the girls and her medical staff. Wonderful to see the positivity in her words!

Comment

Working...
                                X