If this is true it really sucks....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this is true it really sucks....

I can't verify this, but, if true, the Texas legislature just outlawed all hunting with bows, rifles, and shotguns with slugs on rivers statewide.
    Lone Star Outdoors Show, 麦金尼. 155,172 次赞 ? 1,010 人在谈论. Living the Wild Life- this is the place to talk hunting & fishing 24/7. Podcasts available for free on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and...

It is true, largely due to former Game Warden Pete Flores.

Some things people are confused about:

This doesnt include shotguns with bird shot (waterfowl...ect)

This does not impact bowfishing.

Comment

Tis true:

Relating to the use of certain weapons in or on the bed or bank of a navigable river or stream; providing a penalty.

Comment

Sponsored by Rs no less. Must be nice to have politicians in your pocket when the poors inconvenience you

Comment

wow that is bad stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
            It is true, largely due to former Game Warden Pete Flores.

Some things people are confused about:

This doesnt include shotguns with bird shot (waterfowl...ect)

This does not impact bowfishing.
            That exemption is not mentioned in the new law. Is it listed in another section?

Comment

So, If my lease has a river running through it i can no longer set up a deer stand on the banks? Is there a distance requirement?

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post

That exemption is not mentioned in the new law. Is it listed in another section?
                See bold text below

Except as provided by Subsection (c) [(d)], a person
                may not discharge a firearm or shoot an arrow from any kind of bow
                if:
                (1) the person is located in or on the bed or bank of a
                navigable river or stream at the time the firearm is discharged or
                the arrow is shot from the bow; or
                (2) any portion of the ammunition discharged or arrow
                shot could physically contact the bed or bank of a navigable river
                or stream.
                (c) [(d)] This section does not apply to:
                (1) an individual acting in the scope of the
                individual's duties as a peace officer or department employee;
                (2) the discharge of a shotgun loaded with ammunition
                that releases only shot when discharged; [or]
                (3) an individual engaging in fishing using archery
                equipment, if the individual is in compliance with Subsection (e);

Comment

Why does this suck? Who does it affect and how?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    So, If my lease has a river running through it i can no longer set up a deer stand on the banks? Is there a distance requirement?
                    If it is navigable then no. From what I understand the river bank is treated like a joining property line where your projectile can't pass over.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      More restrictions always sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Read View Post

See bold text below

Thanks.

I read that section about five times but was focusing on the underlined new parts of the law where they added the new exemptions of alligators, venomous snakes and non-indigenous rodents.

The shot shell exemption was already there and I read past it.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          It personally affects me. I have hunted the river bottom for years with family. There goes my honey hole.

Comment

If your arrow, Shotgun slug, or bullet can hit the bank, then you are to close on dry land.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              Having already glossed over one item in this thread….

This if the law:

a person may not discharge a firearm or shoot an arrow from any kind of bow if:

(1) the person is located in or on the bed or bank of a navigable river or stream at the time the firearm is discharged or the arrow is shot from the bow;

I searched river bed, river bank and just bank in the entire Parks and Wildlife Code and could find no definition.

When I teach the Penal Code in the police academy, the rule on definitions is to first look in the section of the law you are reading. It will say, “In this section” this word or phrase means whatever.

If not there, search the actual chapter that the law is in. It will say “In this chapter…..”.

If not there, then you go to the definitions section of the law, which, for the Penal Code is 1.07.

If not there… You go to the dictionary.

Maybe someone is better at searching the TPWD than me, but I couldn’t find a definition. If that is true then it would mean the dictionary definition.

The definitions, I looked up online, say things like the land at the edge of a river, the land along the edge of a river or the slopes leading to a river.

Comment

Working...
                              X