No announcement yet.

What cigar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally started working (not training) yesterday. Some advice I have gotten from friends and family is to spend some of your money early ("blow your first paycheck") so that you can get that out of your system so you can save. I did pretty well the last 2 days, and so this afternoon after I got off I went over to the Finnick's cigar shop to see what they had in the way of Humidors. After looking at a couple including one I had seen online, I decided on this Sao Palo. It's approximately a 50-75 stick box and looks really nice. Got some distilled water in it (rubbed down, and also sitting in a shot glass) to help get it ready.

Anymore advice on what to do would be appreciated. Now I'm off to finish off a Fuente my brother started over the weekend and relax while watching the Rangers Game

Last edited by Seacoal; 04-15-2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

I would replace the analog hydrometer first thing but that's me. Nice looking humidor!

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
        I would replace the analog hydrometer first thing but that's me. Nice looking humidor!
        Did that today. That analog one suxks! And thank you!

I want to be holding about 80% before I put sticks in am I correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Seacoal View Post

Mine was at 80 for about 36/48 hrs and finally came down with it loaded with 10 sticks. Now it's leveled out after a two weeks and holding normally with little water added.

Comment

Originally posted by Twztid View Post
            Mine was at 80 for about 36/48 hrs and finally came down with it loaded with 10 sticks. Now it's leveled out after a two weeks and holding normally with little water added.
            Gotcha, I actually went ahead a got a bundle because the guy advised keeping it half full. Sitting at around 85 now, gonna watch it the rest of the night and maybe into the morning, but I've got 25 sticks to put in it. I also should be set for a month at least on cigars lol

Comment

Brazos...sent you a pm

Comment

80% RH is waaaaay too high.

I keep mine at 65%.

At higher RH, cigars will swell (some will even split), and they are hard to draw (suck smoke through it). It is often recommended to keep at 70%, but I have found over the years that most cigars smoke even better at about 65%. This is especially true with Nicaraguan cigars.

Go back in this thread, and read some of my posts on seasoning, and setting up your new humidor. I've done it a few times here. It will work, and work well. Spend your money one time on the right things, and you can avoid the mistakes some of us have already been through.

Comment

In!! Stopped by the small local shop to check out the section and had to get a couple sticks

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                    80% RH is waaaaay too high.

I keep mine at 65%.

At higher RH, cigars will swell (some will even split), and they are hard to draw (suck smoke through it). It is often recommended to keep at 70%, but I have found over the years that most cigars smoke even better at about 65%. This is especially true with Nicaraguan cigars.

Go back in this thread, and read some of my posts on seasoning, and setting up your new humidor. I've done it a few times here. It will work, and work well. Spend your money one time on the right things, and you can avoid the mistakes some of us have already been through.
                    Yes sir, I know 80% is too high. In talking with the gentleman from the cigar shop, I was expecting it to soak up a little bit when I put the sticks in. It did, but it's still sitting at 75%, so I'm leaving the box open to allow the humidity to lower

Comment

In!! Stopped by the small local shop to check out the section and had to get a couple sticks
                      I really enjoyed that lot 23. Hope you do as well!

Comment

Yes sir, I know 80% is too high. In talking with the gentleman from the cigar shop, I was expecting it to soak up a little bit when I put the sticks in. It did, but it's still sitting at 75%, so I'm leaving the box open to allow the humidity to lower
                        Same thing I had to do, now it has settled down to 69/71 RH with just a sprits of water on my humidifier once a week. I need to order the 68% beads amazon has the pretty cheap

Comment

The Padron and the San Cristobal are both darn good sticks! Enjoy them.

Here's my theory on letting sticks bring down the RH in your humidor:

When you put them in, that extra humidity doesn't just disappear, does it? The sticks absorb it, like a sponge. Remember that they will continue to absorb moisture until they bust right open, like a hot dog on the grill. This also compromises the oils in the tobacco, which is where all the flavor comes from.

Maintaining a proper RH is more important than anything else when storing cigars, in my experience. The temperature is important, but anywhere between 50 and 80* should be pretty good. I keep mine in the house, my humidor in the cabinet of an interior wall. It keeps the temp stable, and using RH beads rather than gel or PG solution, it stays pretty darn solid. Extra humidity, also leaves your stash prone to growing mold, which ruins your cigars, and can infect everything in your humi in short order. In rare cases, the mold spores get into the box, and infect future sticks as well, thus leaving your humidor as a piece of junk.

I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching at you, just want your humidor and cigars to be a good experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                            The Padron and the San Cristobal are both darn good sticks! Enjoy them.

Here's my theory on letting sticks bring down the RH in your humidor:

When you put them in, that extra humidity doesn't just disappear, does it? The sticks absorb it, like a sponge. Remember that they will continue to absorb moisture until they bust right open, like a hot dog on the grill. This also compromises the oils in the tobacco, which is where all the flavor comes from.

Maintaining a proper RH is more important than anything else when storing cigars, in my experience. The temperature is important, but anywhere between 50 and 80* should be pretty good. I keep mine in the house, my humidor in the cabinet of an interior wall. It keeps the temp stable, and using RH beads rather than gel or PG solution, it stays pretty darn solid. Extra humidity, also leaves your stash prone to growing mold, which ruins your cigars, and can infect everything in your humi in short order. In rare cases, the mold spores get into the box, and infect future sticks as well, thus leaving your humidor as a piece of junk.

I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching at you, just want your humidor and cigars to be a good experience.
                            By all means, let me know what you've got. I'm very new to this whole thing, and need all the help I can get. I definitely don't want to ruin my sticks and really don't want to ruin my humidor. My temp has remained a stable 68 degree's inside the bow on the bedside table here in the apartment, so I'm not worried about it. Just wanting to get the RH right.

Is leaving the box open until the RH comes down the right thing to do? Or is there another method of lowering it? The bead's seem like the way to go, but for at least a week or so, I'd rather not worry about them unless I need to.
                            Thanks for the advice Gummi, please, "preach" anything that can help

Side note: Smoked a cigar I got in a bundle today. It's a Finck's Muestra, which from my understanding, is one of if not the only cigar their company has made out of country, to get cheaper labor. It's a hand rolled Connecticut wrapper Nicaraguan cigar, that just knocked my socks of as far as quality, not even to mention price

Comment

Just finished this cao I got in a sampler pack, wasn't my favorite but still good. Just sitting in the garage watching it rain listening to some good k buck radio.

Comment

What cigar...

Seacoal - you're on the right track leaving it open. That is what I'd do as well.

I get excited about new stuff too, but when it comes to cigars and all the stuff that goes along with it, it pays to be patient. Take your time, and let things sort themselves out. It may take a few days.

If need be, let your sticks sit in a tupperware dish, or big ziploc with a slice of apple. That should keep them pretty close to properly humidified while your humidor stabilizes.

Twztid - is that an Italia or a Brazilia? Either way, what I've found about pretty much all the CAO sticks, is that they get better with time. A year in the humidor and they really get even tastier. If you are fond of the CAO lineup, my two favorites from them are the MX2 and the Soprano sticks.

Comment

Working...
                                X