Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
    SE Colorado.... as in the plains? Sure, they're are some elk but it's all private land.

Green circle area

What’s best way to see public land areas per unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowjunky39 View Post
      What is the process of putting in for tags and building points in Wyoming and Colorado?

Can't comment on WY but CO is pretty easy, just go on their site, pick your hunt/s and apply.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
        Ok so I’ve been talking to a buddy and will be scaling back on my whitetail properties next year, and broadening my horizon into the elk game. With my work i have to schedule a year in advance so it will be pretty much impossible to plan for a draw hunt. So I’m going to go the OTC route I’ve started my research and from the data I’ve see so far the SE region of Colorado (this is the first state I’ve started my research on) is the highest harvest region. Any advice to units in Colorado or even other states is greatly appreciated

TIA COREY!

Man if your cutting some expenses with the whitetail properties and can afford it I would buy a New Mexico land owner tag. Colorado OTC is great. But it takes a few years to learn a unit and in my experience your still just hunting a bull. Not really a 6point bull.

Comment

Green circle area

What’s best way to see public land areas per unit?

That's SW Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            That's SW Colorado.

Sorry yes sw my preworkout gets me scatter brained

Comment

Sorry yes sw my preworkout gets me scatter brained

No worries. My workout toasts me....plus I'm just getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                Man if your cutting some expenses with the whitetail properties and can afford it I would buy a New Mexico land owner tag. Colorado OTC is great. But it takes a few years to learn a unit and in my experience your still just hunting a bull. Not really a 6point bull.

What’s the price tag generally on a LO tag? And likelihood to get one?

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  No worries. My workout toasts me....plus I'm just getting old.
                  Curse that Father Time!

[emoji1787]

Comment

What’s the price tag generally on a LO tag? And likelihood to get one?

It all depends on the unit. $3,000 to $15,000

I would say you could get a real good quality landowner tag for $6500 or so. Most outfitters have their hands on land owner tags. And there are lots of other places like epic outdoors, go hunt, or the draw that end up with some.

The best deal I have seen in New Mexico is the Jicarilla for a good solid 280-300” bull. You can do a guided hunt with them for really reasonable and they are running 98% success rate for archery.

Comment

For a near future hunt, buy yourself a Wyoming PP this July. Next Jan. put in for a reduced price cow tag in a general area, maybe the Snowies, that you may draw a tag for the next year or so. You'll have Sept to archery hunt the cow during bow season and the rifle season dates as well to fill it.
                      Learn an area and then put in for a general elk tag and come have the same archery season and a rifle season to fill it. You would have basically a month and a half to fill your tag, Sept for bow then the rifle season which varies by area.
                      Some cow tags actually open in Aug for rifle and may go until Jan. 31.

Colorado has more elk than Wyoming and more hunters too. OTC can be a zoo but many take nice bulls. Wyoming general areas have pressure but you can still get away from people without having to hike in 5 miles.
                      Colorado has the OTC while everything in Wyoming is a draw for NR. No wilderness area hunting in Wyoming without a resident as a guide but it's not needed for a good hunt.

You have great options for elk hunting near Texas you'll just have to plan ahead as best you can. One plus for Wyoming is the ability to hunt both archery and rifle seasons on one tag. Seasons are generally the same every year, Sept is always archery season, rifle opens in Oct, most areas.

Comment

SE Colorado.... as in the plains? There are some elk but it's all private land so access will likely be an issue.

And I'm always curious about what people do for a living, what line of work are you in that requires a year out planning? If you don't mind me asking.
                        We pick vacation in November for the fallowing year.. I'm an operator at a chem plant.. we are allowed to trade but only 3 people. Can be off at 1 time.. so theres 25 of us trying to get off for hunting season ..

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          For a near future hunt, buy yourself a Wyoming PP this July. Next Jan. put in for a reduced price cow tag in a general area, maybe the Snowies, that you may draw a tag for the next year or so. You'll have Sept to archery hunt the cow during bow season and the rifle season dates as well to fill it.
                          Learn an area and then put in for a general elk tag and come have the same archery season and a rifle season to fill it. You would have basically a month and a half to fill your tag, Sept for bow then the rifle season which varies by area.
                          Some cow tags actually open in Aug for rifle and may go until Jan. 31.

Colorado has more elk than Wyoming and more hunters too. OTC can be a zoo but many take nice bulls. Wyoming general areas have pressure but you can still get away from people without having to hike in 5 miles.
                          Colorado has the OTC while everything in Wyoming is a draw for NR. No wilderness area hunting in Wyoming without a resident as a guide but it's not needed for a good hunt.

You have great options for elk hunting near Texas you'll just have to plan ahead as best you can. One plus for Wyoming is the ability to hunt both archery and rifle seasons on one tag. Seasons are generally the same every year, Sept is always archery season, rifle opens in Oct, most areas.
                          What do you think about recent SC ruling w/the crow

Comment

SE Colorado.... as in the plains? There are some elk but it's all private land so access will likely be an issue.

And I'm always curious about what people do for a living, what line of work are you in that requires a year out planning? If you don't mind me asking.

I work for ups it’s seniority based so they start from the top and work their way down. Highest guy picks which weeks he wants then so forth.

Comment

South eastern CO traditionally has the biggest bulls in the state as a percentage of harvest, but yes majority private.

Comment

Southwest Colorado terrain looks like no joke! Anyone hunted this part of the state? Any advice/input?

Comment

Working...
                                X