No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the first lite kanab pants. I disliked them as they fit weird on myself and they were too thin for my liking. I use core4element and love their line of clothing. I will be buying another set of kuiu as soon as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
      I have attack pants and I like them allot. One thing the Attack pants do is "pile up"(I think that's the term for it). Don't know if it's from snags or what but the threads will roll up. Don't think it hurts the integrity but both me and my buddy have noticed it.

I slightly prefer Sitka Mountain Pants over KUIU Attack but either are very nice.

I added a pair of Sitka Ascent this off season.(Cabela's had my size on sale for $99 a couple weeks ago). I had 2 pair several years ago but they did not have the gusseted crotch....these do. Course now I have to add another Sitka top to go with them....I can't have those Elk seeing me in mismatched Camo
      Thanks for your input. Do the Sitka pants run true to size or they bigger or smaller? I'm in between a 34" and 36" waist.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        Thanks for your input. Do the Sitka pants run true to size or they bigger or smaller? I'm in between a 34" and 36" waist.
        In my experience you need to size up in KUIU and get your regular size for Sitka...goes for KUIU tops as well.

If you need a pack I think I am gonna sell my KUIU ICON with both 7000 and 3000 bags

Comment

This is what I own- and it’s all geared toward Sept Elk and Mulie hunting most of this gear is going on three years, except the stuff that released last fall. But I have used every piece of it on hunts

2- Neck gaiters and 2 wool beanies

2-180 wool shirts

1- 230 wool shirt

2-Attack pants(Brn& camo)

1-* Leg Gaiters

1-Vest

1 set – Tiburon (shirt and pants)

1-super down hooded jacket

Only pieces that do not *blow me away are the Tiburon set, Vest and Superdown jacket.

Tiburon shirt and pants work like they are supposed to and are very cool, but they don’t stretch as much as the attack. With that said I will keep them B/C the will be great for my antelope hunts(spot and stalk or blind when its 90-100+degrees). Tiburon is really made for 90 plus degree days, but have no real advantage over the Attack in 80 degrees or less

Super down I bought as a packable emergency piece. It’s a little small on me and a little loud. I like my Columbia puffer w/Omni heat better but it’s not camo.* Ill probably sale my SD puffy

My only dislike about my vest is no front pockets, but new model does have pockets.(I might upgrade to the new one this year, since I consider my vest a core piece and my mouth calls get dirty in my pant pockets)

Kuiu makes great gear. If you are smart, are proactive, sign up for the newsletters and watch the outlet you can pick up gear A LOT cheaper. Their DWR is second to none.

Pieces that I don’t use of Kuiu.* Soft shell jacket/Pants I use the Columbia Stealth shot(Kuiu has better features in Guide series, I just don’t see the need to upgrade yet, NOTE- Most of my mountain hunting is in Sept). Rain gear I use Columbia also but will be upgrading to either First Light or Kuiu this year(don’t like the Columbia pants). Sleeping bag I use Mountain Hardware, pack(depends on how I’m hunting) but usually* Elberstock x2 as day pack or short trip pack. Multiday pack I think I will be adding new Exo Mountain Gear Pack this year.

If you don’t have Rain gear already and are hunting Oct-Nov in the Mountains maybe better to just go with Yukon series over the Guide since the Yukon is designed to be a waterproof kind of soft-shell

Comment

I have attack pants and I like them allot. Oneng the Attack pants do is "pile up"(I think that's the term for it). Don't know if it's from snags or what but the threads will roll up. Don't think it hurts the integrity but both me and my buddy have noticed it.

I slightly prefer Sitka Mountain Pants over KUIU Attack but either are very nice.

I added a pair of Sitka Ascent this off season.(Cabela's had my size on sale for $99 a couple weeks ago). I had 2 pair several years ago but they did not have the gusseted crotch....these do. Course now I have to add another Sitka top to go with them....I can't have those Elk seeing me in mismatched Camo
            I'm the opposite I sold all my sitka stuff(MP and ascent & jetstream jacket) The mountain pants to me where way hotter and have less stretch. The acent pants would be closer to the attack

I haven't had piling issues with my attack pants and they have well over 50 days hunting shrubs oaks in them

Although I don't think you can go wrong with sitka, kuiu, core4, kreptk etc
            Last edited by Texans42; 02-13-2014, 11:05 AM.

Comment

In my experience you need to size up in KUIU and get your regular size for Sitka...goes for KUIU tops as well.

If you need a pack I think I am gonna sell my KUIU ICON with both 7000 and 3000 bags
              Sent you a PM on the icon

Comment

I'm on the kuiu guide and outfitters program and truly believe their clothing is the best on the market. Used the same gear for a little over 2 years and it's held up extremely well for the abuse I put it through. It hasn't faded or lost its fit.

Comment

Put in for AZ Tuesday. Forgot to get around to WY by the deadline, gonna make sure I buy the PP this summer, didn't expect to draw for a few more years anyway. Unit I want only 5% of max points drew and I have one less than max

Do any of all hunt OTC in any place other than CO? The last two years I have drew a limited tag and bought a LO voucher but I am really thinking about saving some cash and finding a good OTC unit in either Colorado, or Idaho. Maybe one of the general Montana units (basically over the counter as they have leftover ever year).

My idea is to learn one unit really well. Not looking for anyone's honey hole, just do you have one and how did you find it? What State is it in?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                    My idea is to learn one unit really well. Not looking for anyone's honey hole, just do you have one and how did you find it? What State is it in?
                    My honey hole is here in Colorado, OTC.

I found it scouting for mule deer in late July, and early August.
                    Located a ton of elk that were above timberline and easy to see at that time of year, then when season rolled around I accessed from below and started hunting up the drainage system until I found the elk. I knew they were in there, just a matter of determining which side drainages they liked compared to the on big main canyon.

One thing I've found over the years is that elk tend to like having a big main canyon with a bunch of finger ridges that lead down into it. The big main canyon should not have any roads, and the fingers leading down into it need to have good cover and access to good south facing slopes for feeding. They should also have several layers of benches instead of just steep faces.

A must have is water, without water....look elsewhere.

Comment

Put in for AZ Tuesday. Forgot to get around to WY by the deadline, gonna make sure I buy the PP this summer, didn't expect to draw for a few more years anyway. Unit I want only 5% of max points drew and I have one less than max

Do any of all hunt OTC in any place other than CO? The last two years I have drew a limited tag and bought a LO voucher but I am really thinking about saving some cash and finding a good OTC unit in either Colorado, or Idaho. Maybe one of the general Montana units (basically over the counter as they have leftover ever year).

I can tell ya where not to go. I had a bad CO OTC experience and it kinda gave me a bad taste for CO OTC. It must have been a weird year because we were hunting with locals and it was still horrible.

Just my opinion but I will avoid CO OTC at all cost if I can. I'm not saying I will never do it again but it will be with a lot more information beforehand. I did however, see some awesome country. It was just tough.

No regrets. I guess I'm spoiled when it comes to elk hunting here in NM.

Comment

Check out www.rokslide.com

Comment

A3D is a better resource for OTC than I am but I think he'll agree that the guys that do well in OTC, be it CO, ID or MT, are doing exactly what you are trying to do. They pick a unit/area and hunt it every year.

A good friend of mine goes to ID every year and does well. MT is a real good option. I have a buddy that went there one year and saw some real nice bulls for what's basically an OTC tag....they were not successful.

You should really consider distance unless you've got plenty of time in Sept to burn. It'll take you 2 days to get to ID and MT. That's 4 days of your hunt time spent behind the wheel.

I though I had your email....PM it to me and I'll give you the intel I have on CO, ID and MT.

Comment

That's the million dollar question Smasher. Which one and how to pick.

We are doing a DIY OTC hunt in CO this year in a heavily hunted unit after years of hunting private ground in NM. Honestly we lucked into this place (after dozens of hours of internet/map research) that has very little to no traffic because of the terrain....it just too hard to get to from the public access points and we have the only private access (through an outfitter) that adjoins the good ground. Heavily hunted units can be great if you find a setup like this....that's what we are counting on this year.

The place we are hunting has several great drainages, wallows, water holes, and benches. a3d, drhorton gave great advice above and we plan on hunting this unit for years to come to learn it better.
                            Last edited by unclefish; 02-14-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
                              I had the first lite kanab pants. I disliked them as they fit weird on myself and they were too thin for my liking. I use core4element and love their line of clothing. I will be buying another set of kuiu as soon as I can.
                              I would have thought the Merino wool would have held up well? I always liked the wool because you can wear it so long without washing and it doesn't stink. Do you have to take more of the Kuiu to keep it from stinking?

Comment

I hear ya'll talking about your clothes but, what about us tall fella's? I had to call Sitka to find out if they carried anything longer than 34" inseam, they don't. Anyone have a 36"+ inseam that can req a good outerwear?

Comment

Working...
                                X