Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
    Good Luck Jason!!

I'll give ya a shout when we reach the mountain top on Sept 15th. Thanks for the help!
    I wish you luck. If you don't get into them in the basin we talked about, head up and to the north and cross over into the next basin north. You should be good to go in one of those two basins for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
      Thanks guys.
      This is one reason I am a member of the green screen!

I should be able to do some live updates Saturday and Sunday, but not sure after that.
      I will be over on the east side of the Flat tops wilderness and I've never been to these units before.
      Going in blind with only online scouting, hoping to pull a double or elk and mule deer from the same area.
      I've got the truck loaded up, arranged for flowers to be delivered to my wife while I'm gone and she is working, and the truck is gassed up.

Headed for Colorado in the morning, only six hours to get to the trailhead. I'll start posting some updates tomorrow night, but unfortunately when up there I can't get pics to upload.

Only six hours from Amarillo to North-Central Colorado?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
        Only six hours from Amarillo to North-Central Colorado?
        Nope, first weekend I am sacrificing in an OTC unit to try to help my hunting buddy get his mule deer. I'm going to pack in and set up camp, and start glassing bucks for him. He will make it up by friday evening and only have the weekend to hunt.
        I'll come out Sunday and move up to the other area I will be hunting.

Comment

Thanks everybody for the input on when to go... I am a sucker for the bugling.... I went the last week of the season last year and they were quite but it was an OTC unit.... I hope I get lucky this year..I have put my vacation in for the last week again.

I did last year as well but I have spent all year getting my mind and body in shape for this. If desire determines success then I should go buy the charcoal for all the elk meat I will be cooking....

I ran my first marathon in April, I have ran 20 miles a week sometimes more all year. Still going over the nitty gritty details of my pack and gonna get the weight down. I flew up to Colorado in May to scout and spoke to locals about where the elk are. I have still photos and video of bulls and cows in my hunt unit. I even saw a moose and some sheep. I have subscribed to dedicated elk hunting magazines and studied everything on elk I can get my hands on...

I am practicing out to 65 yards with my several times a week..... I don't know what else to do.... I am going to go up there and give 110% and hope I come back with my first solo archery elk.... I am tired of tag soup!

This is gonna be the year! Good luck to all of y'all! I can not wait to get in my truck and head for Colorado!

Comment

Thanks guys.
            This is one reason I am a member of the green screen!

I should be able to do some live updates Saturday and Sunday, but not sure after that.
            I will be over on the east side of the Flat tops wilderness and I've never been to these units before.
            Going in blind with only online scouting, hoping to pull a double or elk and mule deer from the same area.
            I've got the truck loaded up, arranged for flowers to be delivered to my wife while I'm gone and she is working, and the truck is gassed up.

Headed for Colorado in the morning, only six hours to get to the trailhead. I'll start posting some updates tomorrow night, but unfortunately when up there I can't get pics to upload.
            Good Luck buddy stay safe!

Comment

Good luck guys.

Comment

Nope, first weekend I am sacrificing in an OTC unit to try to help my hunting buddy get his mule deer. I'm going to pack in and set up camp, and start glassing bucks for him. He will make it up by friday evening and only have the weekend to hunt.
                I'll come out Sunday and move up to the other area I will be hunting.
                Good luck man. I hope you come out heavy!

BTW: I think this post makes me a ten point!

Comment

Im leaving Friday, but wont be doing as.much of that lung busting stuff that some of you are.

Comment

I'm jealous!
                    Here's a pic of some of the country I am headed to.
                    Attached Files

Comment

19 days and counting! Unit 65 OTC. Second year. No luck first time, hopefully this is it. Anyone been to this unit?

Comment

I'm jealous!
                        Here's a pic of some of the country I am headed to.
                        , I was up on top of Greenhorn last week. I move a little slower at 12k feet

Comment

Man I'm jealous.... Great time last year!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345688462.233586.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	24108329Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345688685.983096.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	24108332

Comment

We leave in 10 days.....three hunters again this year...one rookie. Our max elevation is about 7,600ft so we don't kill ourselves like some of y'all do.

Our ranch has gotten a bunch of rain in the last month...alfalfa fields look great...and there should be several good water holes to sit. The land owner said she has started hearing bugles. In fact that seems to be the trend on other elk forums too. Maybe the rut will start earlier this year....hope so!

My brothers bull from 2010 off this ranch

We are able to do some good live hunts cause we have good coverage on the mountain. Good luck to everyone and be safe!

Comment

Getting very fired up! 6 days till I take to the sky to God's country. Brett C will be hauling my gear up there tomorrow and picking me up at the airport so I can get more work done here. I have never flown in for elk hunting. Looking forward to an hour and 50 minute trip!

I will be taking another trip late in the season if needed.

My brother (millman) booked a hunt 16c in the Gila

I smell elk !!!!!!!

Comment

16 days until departure here... NM Unit 17

It would be really nice to fly into a hunt!

I'm going to start getting my gear packed up this weekend. Can't wait.

Comment

Working...
                                X