Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post
    Thanks guys I'll make a run to REI.
    These are the ones I bought for my buddy. He loved them. They do have the flip lock system and are relatively cheap

Comment

Alright guys. Its decision time. I have a tag for a draw unit in Colorado. Not one of the premier units but a good one.

I have to make my mind up before tomorrow morning which week to go. First week of september when I can use labor day as an extra vacation day, or later in september with a better chance of bugling?

Comment

The Acoma is booked till 2013. but there may be some early season hunt open. anyweapon. in 2010 the SCI auction tag sold for $8,500 & the guy from TX tagged a 374 bull.
        I was up there on Friday & found a great bull did not get a Pic but found him rubbing his Velvet off got a big ole strip hanging on my rearview mirror now.
        First hunt is in 8 days cant wait.
        lots of bulls are being spotted in the usual areas..
        I will try & get some pics up on this site.

Comment

Here is 1 bull from NM that we will be after this year... 370 + thats on a dry year!
          DTBM

Comment

This is one of our tents set up at elk camp.
            Hunters have A 1ST CLASS set up. hot showers, clean toilets, Camp Chef.
            8 days & counting.

its all quiet ---except the sound of a buglin bull in the night.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
              Alright guys. Its decision time. I have a tag for a draw unit in Colorado. Not one of the premier units but a good one.

I have to make my mind up before tomorrow morning which week to go. First week of september when I can use labor day as an extra vacation day, or later in september with a better chance of bugling?
              I would go the last days of the season. How ever many days you have.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                I would go the last days of the season. How ever many days you have.
                That is what everybody keeps saying... I guess that is what I am going to stick with.

Comment

The first week of the season could present an opportunity to sit at water holes in the evening, which is something I've learned can really increase your odds of filling your tag. I know it's not as exciting as when they're bugling and you're chasing them around, but you can do that in the morning and sit water in the afternoons... Just something to think about...

That being said, I would be going later in the season when there's bugling going on all over! Good luck either way!

Comment

I am no expert, but weighing in on all the variables this year, I opted to close out the season by going the final 10 days again this year. We share a few days with Muzzle Load season, but use it to our advantage best we can. We will beat the moon phase, the heat, and hopefully come home exhausted and freezer heavy!

Comment

Going early usually gives you 3 or 4 days with animals that haven't been pushed. This year you would be with lots of picnicers. The late season you will have to get quiet a ways off the trails to find them but they will be noisey.

Comment

That is what everybody keeps saying... I guess that is what I am going to stick with.
                        Given that CO's season changes yearly the last part of the season this year is what I think works really good for archery. I will be hunting from 9/17-9/23 albeit in WY but the theory is the same for me. I like catching bulls in the "Chase" phase and trying to get bulls to come in before they are 'Cowed up". Those dates allow you to avoid ML hunters who will have likely stirred things up.

Comment

Thanks for the thread
                          I am headed to Arizona for elk on the 20th
                          I am too busy at work to get excited though, reading this helps
                          Oh I need to work out and run tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
                            Thanks for the thread
                            Arizona is an awesome place to hunt, I hope to make the draw there one day.
                            GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
                              Thanks for the thread
                              Arizona I an awesome place to hunt elk, I hope to make the draw there one day. Good luck! I will be in NM on the 18th.

Comment

Packed up last night and weighed in, pack is giong to come in at 45 lbs with 5 days worth of grub. That includes the spotting scope and tripod which a lot of people don't pack.
                                A few minor adjustments to load and I will be ready to go. I have 3 lbs in clothing that are in the pack, but would be worn early morning and late evening.
                                I am taking some luxury items this year as well, an inflatable pad for extended glassing sessions will keep my butt from going numb, and a few food items that will be extras early in the hunt. About 2 lbs I could drop there but is worth it to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X