The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
    That just wouldn't seem like elk hunting to me.....you gotta put some miles behind you and sweat a lot more than sitting a water hole!

I know it works, it just seems wrong to kill an elk like that though....
    Like somebody cheated..
    Give it 20 or 30 years and bypass surgery and see if you still fell the same.
    I'm just proud to be verticle, how I hunt doesn't matter, as long as I can still get in the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
      I'm just proud to be verticle, how I hunt doesn't matter.

That's awesome!

Comment

Getting dialed in. Last 5 arrows at 60 yards from last night's practice.
        I leave for Nevada Mule Deer in 12 days.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
          If you want a bull that big? don't be to proud to sit water holes in the evenings. I know it's not the type of elk hunting that is as fun or exciting but it's the best way to kill a biggin.
          Bingo

Comment

So what's the secret to shooting tight out past 60 yards. I can hold an 7-8 inch group but can't seem to tighten them up more than that. I know a lot of it is all about the release but I can't seem to hold my pin steady.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
              So what's the secret to shooting tight out past 60 yards. I can hold an 7-8 inch group but can't seem to tighten them up more than that. I know a lot of it is all about the release but I can't seem to hold my pin steady.
              The trick is be squeezing off as the pin floats past the point you want to shoot. No one can hold steady for the long shots. I also changed to .010 pins this year as my .019 fibers pretty much covered the target at 60

Comment

Kinda like the old figure eight trick when you're shooting iron sights?

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                  The trick is be squeezing off as the pin floats past the point you want to shoot. No one can hold steady for the long shots. I also changed to .010 pins this year as my .019 fibers pretty much covered the target at 60
                  This......and practice

Don't overdo it.....I shoot 6 arras @ 55yrd.... Form and follow through are the key......then I move back to 35

Comment

No trick just practice. The more you practice the stronger your muscles get that you use while shooting. The stronger your muscles get . The steadier you will hold.

Oh yeah! and don't punch!

Comment

[QUOTE=ELKAHOLIC;5574996]After sitting 3 hours on a water hole in the Gila? You will be anything but bored!!!! [/Q
                      You are right, but their ain't nothing like a screamin bull coming to a call!!! I think you are right about killing a bigger bull sittin on a water hole and if thats what you like to do I am all for it. When I can't walk anymore I will sit on a water hole.

Comment

Take 2:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343342554.605671.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	24097537

Same windy conditions:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343342630.403983.jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	24097539

Only one I shanked was at 40, spent the majority of the afternoon dialing in my 60 yard pin.

Now all I need is an elk tag and a bunch of gear, good thing I've got a year to acquire everything!
                        Attached Files

Comment

One thing that I found helped my shooting at 60+ yards was smaller pins. Instead of .29 pins I went to .19, I also found I shoot better with certain pin colors.
                          Another thing was shooting with both eyes open and using back tension to trigger the release. To do this I had to shorten my release to where the trigger sits right in the middle or my finger at full draw. Thus taking the trigger out of my trigger finger.

If you start practicing at 100 yards, you will definitely know if you trigger punch or pull a shot. Keeps you honest in form and produces better shots at all yardages.

Comment

First four arrows of the day. 20, 30, 40, 40

The high one is the last shot @40... I need to tighten these groups a little between now and September!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343343201.903865.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	24097541

Comment

Guys, we are hunters not competition shooters. Those are Elk kills! Complete confidence in you and your gear is the mental edge you are going for at long range. If you expect to robin hood every shot you are killing your yourself.

When you step/sit/kneel up to a yardage and there is no question in your mind you will hit where you are aiming and then do so....You are ready!

I shoot at 60 so 30 and 40 seem like chip shots.
                              Last edited by drthornton; 07-26-2012, 10:20 PM.

Comment

DT, valid point, I'm not trying to shoot for numbers though, this is just a confidence building thing for me. As of right now im pretty confident that if I had a elk, mule deer, or whitetail in front of me at 40 yards I could smoke them. I'd like to be that comfy at 60 yards though so that if I've got an elk at 55 yards and nothing but dead fall between us I know I can reach out and lay the hammer down.

There's also a part of me that hates having someone do something better than I can. Which is why I shot yesterday, couldn't stand the fact that there's guys out there shooting tighter groups. I'm not competitive though, I promise.
                                Last edited by rhendrix; 07-27-2012, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X