No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way? Nobody has any experience with GMU 76?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
      How did you like hunting before the rut? The last two years I have hunted the last weeks of Archery and bulls were already herded up and bugling a lot (at least last year) but NOT coming to calls.

I am curious if earlier in the season they are more interested in BUILDING there herd instead of guarding and corralling what they have. Thoughts?
      In my experience, bigger herd-type bulls are more likely to respond to calls before they're herded-up, but satellite type bulls are more likely to respond during the full-on rut... who knows.

Comment

Anyone coming near Westcliffe, Colorado, feel free to PM me and drop by when you're in town to say hi. I'll be up and down the Sangres all month.

Comment

Just realized season ends 9/29, so re-adjusting my travel to hunt 9/15-18, then 9/26-29. More hunt days that way anyhow, and I get to hit two different rut stages, perhaps.

I have had pretty good luck early in the season, but a lot depends on the weather. Last year it was so hot and dry I had to go way high to get to where they were.

I'm officially excited now...

Comment

Last two years for me the 15- 20thth has had the most action, it also when a weather system moved through and as soon as the system moved through it was on.

I'm hunting the last week of the season this year though
            Last edited by Texans42; 07-23-2013, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I hunt N.M. from the first to the 22nd, the last day of archery. We have found the most activity from the 15th to the 22nd.
              When we leave on the 23rd, they are still hot.
              I won't kill anything but a good bull before the 15th, unless it looks really fat and tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                By the way? Nobody has any experience with GMU 76?
                76 is a high tier trophy unit and the 5th hardest to draw in the state. Try Bowsite.com, rokslide.com and archerytalk.com as those sites have a broader subscription base for western hunting.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding Elk in there. There are 900 square miles of public land, 11 Elk per hunter and more than 5 Bulls per hunter during archery including the smoke pole guys. They only kill about 20% of the Bulls out of that unit each year so there will be a very good chance at an upper age class Bull.

I have some info on surrounding OTC units and could help you remote scout. PM me if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                  76 is a high tier trophy unit and the 5th hardest to draw in the state. Try Bowsite.com, rokslide.com and archerytalk.com as those sites have a broader subscription base for western hunting.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding Elk in there. There are 900 square miles of public land, 11 Elk per hunter and more than 5 Bulls per hunter during archery including the smoke pole guys. They only kill about 20% of the Bulls out of that unit each year so there will be a very good chance at an upper age class Bull.

I have some info on surrounding OTC units and could help you remote scout. PM me if you want.
                  I'm looking at units all around 76 (77,,79,80,81) for OTC tag this year. Been doing some research but still undecided on were to go. may send you a pm also, if you don't mind....

Comment

Originally posted by jefandaward View Post
                    Anyone coming near Westcliffe, Colorado, feel free to PM me and drop by when you're in town to say hi. I'll be up and down the Sangres all month.
                    Brett C and I, along with my dad will be on the other side in Rye. I am pumped for my dad as he is 71 and has a muzzle loading tag! Brett and I will be archery.
                    We might stop in to meet you if there is time.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                      Last two years for me the 15- 20thth has had the most action, it also when a weather system moved through and as soon as the system moved through it was on.

I'm hunting the last week of the season this year though
                      For us last year, It really started getting good the last 2 days of the season. The season ended a little earlier last year than normal. I am pumped that this year it ends later. I just hope I get to stay after my dad gets finished with muzzle season to be in the crazy magic of the last week of September!

Started riding the bike yesterday. Got to get those lungs in shape!

Comment

I am going to NM unit 15 tomorrow for a little scouting trip and to get away from this hot weather. I hope to have some pics of some elk when I get back.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                          I am going to NM unit 15 tomorrow for a little scouting trip and to get away from this hot weather. I hope to have some pics of some elk when I get back.
                          Should be nice as monsoon is in full swing. Be careful with lightning.

Comment

Colorado update: weather has been great, monsoons hitting pretty good and regularly.

High country getting plenty of moisture in most areas.

Comment

I've been driving my wife and the neighbors crazy by practicing my bugles for about an hour every night... It's AWESOME!!!

Comment

Gonna be hitting San Juan National Forest, CO in the second week of September with two buddies. I won't be packing a bow, but I will be packing a camera. Haven't picked a unit just yet, but it will be in the Pagosa Springs/Silverton/Durango area. I think we're gonna be hitting GMU 751.

Anyone ever had much luck there?
                                Last edited by Kirby86; 07-25-2013, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X