No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else just plain unable to master the diaphragm call? It agitates me to no end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
      Anyone else just plain unable to master the diaphragm call? It agitates me to no end!

It’s not easy… I’m ok with diaphragm, but the Phelps metal tube bugle with mouthpiece “EZ Bugler” is a good alternative. I also like the Thunder Bugle since I struggle with diaphragm calls. For cow calls you can get the Hoochie Mama hand calls sounding pretty good too.

Comment

I'm an idiot: I missed the Montana deadline where I have enough points for a 25-27% chance to draw in the best district in the state. Fortunately, they let you buy a point in June even if you missed the draw deadline.
        My 16 points in Colorado are in points purgatory. I'll probably never have enough to draw the best units in Colorado.
        In all my years (15?) of applying to New Mexico, I've only drawn once. Maybe I'm due this year.
        Maybe, too, this will be my year to draw a moose in Colorado (3+13 points).
        If not, maybe I'll just make myself available to be a caller for someone else. It's all about the bugle anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post

Yeah its tough. I've gotten better over the years for bugling by practicing in the vehicle on road trips.

For cow calls....the absolute best, easiest, most realistic sounding call I've ever used is the Reel call.
          Create accurate cow, calf, and bull sounds with Reel Game Calls' Hardwood Elk Reel! Made of high-quality materials, this elk call is incredibly easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            Yeah its tough. I've gotten better over the years for bugling by practicing in the vehicle on road trips.

For cow calls....the absolute best, easiest, most realistic sounding call I've ever used is the Reel call.
            https://reelgamecalls.com/shop/elk-c...-cow-elk-call/
            Yep. Great for axis and sika too.

I have one of their bugle tube calls as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Yep. Great for axis and sika too.

I have one of their bugle tube calls as well.
              Axis? Do you use it to sound like a buck? Or a doe?

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post

https://reelgamecalls.com/shop/elk-c...-cow-elk-call/
                Thanks for the link. Just bought something else I probably don't need.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
                  I'm an idiot: I missed the Montana deadline where I have enough points for a 25-27% chance to draw in the best district in the state. Fortunately, they let you buy a point in June even if you missed the draw deadline.
                  My 16 points in Colorado are in points purgatory. I'll probably never have enough to draw the best units in Colorado.
                  In all my years (15?) of applying to New Mexico, I've only drawn once. Maybe I'm due this year.
                  Maybe, too, this will be my year to draw a moose in Colorado (3+13 points).
                  If not, maybe I'll just make myself available to be a caller for someone else. It's all about the bugle anyways.

I’ve been in two of the units that are in the conversation for the primo unit in the state. If you need some help narrowing down your search once you draw please let me know. I’ll share what I know

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                    Thanks for the link. Just bought something else I probably don't need.
                    Lol what's another elk call in the growing pile. I will say that I haven't bought any thing else since getting this one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Axis? Do you use it to sound like a buck? Or a doe?
                      Elk Reel cow call sounds like axis and sika does as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                        I’ve been in two of the units that are in the conversation for the primo unit in the state. If you need some help narrowing down your search once you draw please let me know. I’ll share what I know
                        Montana? For sure I will take you up on that! Thanks. I already have a great hunt in Wyoming lined up for 2023. I'll shoot for Montana in 2024 with even more points.

Comment

Montana? For sure I will take you up on that! Thanks. I already have a great hunt in Wyoming lined up for 2023. I'll shoot for Montana in 2024 with even more points.

Yes in Montana. Cool, hit me up when the time comes.

Comment

Nothing but a sea of red this year in New Mexico. But my good friend drew a unit 16D first rifle bull tag so I’m getting to see that country this year for sure

Comment

Swing and a miss here as well.

Comment

Got my annual NM bad news, can’t draw a tag in that state to save my life

Comment

Working...
                                X