The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
    You will be very pleased with that from what I hear. I have been impressed with the Vortex line myself.

Contemplating going with a recurve or longbow for this season....hmmm....
    Do it!!!!! Brings the kid out in you, plus a longbow will weigh right around a pound. Pretty nice when you are at 10,000 ft.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
      Do it!!!!! Brings the kid out in you, plus a longbow will weigh right around a pound. Pretty nice when you are at 10,000 ft.

I've been shooting my Black Widow recurve and doing real good with three under, but looking for a Toelke Super D longbow around 55-60lbs.
      Last edited by a3dhunter; 05-16-2012, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Nice!!! Yeah, I shoot three under also. Get too much nock pinch with split. Want to try some of Dmaxshawn's longbows at Coastal Bend Bows. So many great bowyers, so little time/money. I dont own a widow, but have shot a couple and they are muy bueno.

Comment

Anybody ever hunted Colorado GMU 861. I have a offer to hunt there in Sept. It's in the upper north-west part of the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            Anybody ever hunted Colorado GMU 861. I have a offer to hunt there in Sept. It's in the upper north-west part of the unit.
            861 is good, I have hunted next to it. How long has the group been going their? Archery or rifle?

early season be prepared to hunt high.

Comment

Originally posted by tookeymonster View Post
              861 is good, I have hunted next to it. How long has the group been going their? Archery or rifle?

early season be prepared to hunt high.
              Not a group, a buddy has kinfolks that owe a little land about 20 miles from the wilderness area.

It would be archery .....packing in too.

Comment

Not a group, a buddy has kinfolks that owe a little land about 20 miles from the wilderness area.

It would be archery .....packing in too.
                Its a great area to hunt, make sure you are in great shape!!! I will be bear hunting and Elk hunting close buy most of the season. PM me and we can chat.

Again make sure you are in great shape. The South San Juan can be some of the roughest of the Rockies that in in the US. Last year I had a fellow TBH'er (RJK70) come up and hunt he ran 2 miles and lifted weight 5 days a week and he did not last 2 days. You have to push your self training. Make sure you take it easy the first 2 days (RJK70 only took it easy one day). Spend a day at or around 9,500' and then go up.

Comment

Originally posted by tookeymonster View Post
                  Its a great area to hunt, make sure you are in great shape!!! I will be bear hunting and Elk hunting close buy most of the season. PM me and we can chat.

Again make sure you are in great shape. The South San Juan can be some of the roughest of the Rockies that in in the US. Last year I had a fellow TBH'er (RJK70) come up and hunt he ran 2 miles and lifted weight 5 days a week and he did not last 2 days. You have to push your self training. Make sure you take it easy the first 2 days (RJK70 only took it easy one day). Spend a day at or around 9,500' and then go up.
                  Sounds good....been slowly getting down to my fighting weight, got another 15lbs to go. I'll stick with my exercise routine till august 1, then add a daily round of wind sprints.

Comment

Sounds good....been slowly getting down to my fighting weight, got another 15lbs to go. I'll stick with my exercise routine till august 1, then add a daily round of wind sprints.
                    Then add a mouth piece and breath through a snorkel while doing your wind sprints, and up it to wind sprints every hour.......just a suggestion.

Comment

Shot the Black Widow recurve some tonight, just love shooting instinctive and watching the arrow fly.

20 yards with 3 fingers under arrow:
                      Last edited by a3dhunter; 05-16-2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                        Shot the Black Widow recurve some tonight, just love shooting instinctive and watching the arrow fly.

20 yards with 3 fingers under arrow:
                        Looks good!

Comment

Speaking of arrows and broad heads. What is everyone shooting at elk this year?

I'm going to be shooting some ~600 grain cedar arrows with 125 grain zwickey broad heads.

Comment

I'm going to be shooting some ~600 grain cedar arrows with 125 grain zwickey broad heads.
                            Well, I don't even remember what those arrows in the pic are....
                            I usually shoot the G5 Striker broadhead and Easton Epic's out of my compound with blazer vanes. Around 440 grains total.

My arrows for the recurve are right around 500 grains total with a 125 grain head if I remember right.

Comment

Steelforce Premium broadheads, FMJs w/ blazer vanes... I am going to start shooting more frequently this weekend... September is not far away!

Comment

Anybody shooting blazers with a recurve or longbow?

I've always been told to use feathers...???

Comment

Working...
                                X